Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Header to sporty muffler adapter ? (Read 164 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Header to sporty muffler adapter ?
01/30/09 at 06:07:07

I've started a more detailed post on this evolving exhaust mod in the tech section.  Here's the link: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1233412195

It seems I read on here before that someone made/had made a 7" adapter with a 10 degree bend to go between the header and the muffer.  A few questions now:

1) Is the 10 degree bend in the middle of the adapter or closer to one end or the other?
2) Is the location of the bend important and why?
3) Anyone done a longer or shorter adpater?  
4) Did you find/use a chrome heatshield over the adapter?  Which one?  

« Last Edit: 01/31/09 at 07:18:43 by diamond jim »  
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Re: Header to sporty muffler adapter ?
Reply #1 - 01/30/09 at 07:11:47

Interested as well... Smiley (Seems I've heard it's a 7 degree bend though... Could be wrong!)

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #2 - 01/30/09 at 12:16:47

Saw my exhaust buddy today.  He made me an adapter with a small bend just after where it slides over the header.  He made it 10" long so I can fit and cut it to perfect length.  

He also made me a long drag pipe.  It's a straight pipe, with the similar small bend right after the point where it slides over the header and extends about an inch past the rear tire.  I slipped it on and wow, nice deep sound.  It's a touch on the loud side but sweet.  I think I'll make a fibrosleeve for the drag pipe and try it for a while.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 01/31/09 at 04:36:48

Anybody seen one of these new heat shields on a bike?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHROME-FLAME-EXHAUST-PIPES-UNIVERSAL-HEAT-SHIE...

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 01/31/09 at 05:05:22

the bend is just after the header. go to a local custom exaust place. they will custom stretch/ bend a pipe for you. have them make it extra long then you can cut as needed. i've found they enjoy doing stuff for motorcyclists

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 02/02/09 at 14:20:26

If you do the adapter/extension mod, be sure to cover the new pipe section with some exhaust wrap or make some kind of heat shield.  The header has a heat shield and the outer body of the muffler acts as a heat shield.  But the new pipe section won't have anything unless you add something.  I haven't ridden mine yet with the new pipe but I imagine it will get real hot in the area of the oil window to the rear brake cable switch with an exposed exhaust pipe.  I think I saw a thermal image that verslagen1 posted showing it being hotter in that area than the rest of the engine and he mentioned his brake cable cover showing some signs of excessive heat exposure.  On my new pipe, I'm gonna wrap just that area and I'm in the process of fabbing a small, simple aluminum heat shield to go between that part of the muffler and bike.  

« Last Edit: 02/02/09 at 22:11:51 by diamond jim »  
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 02/02/09 at 18:24:09

been thru 3 or 4 pipes(stickin with my 3 1/2" hard krome slash cut)
way i remember its 10" long and 7 deg bend..if i had a trailer  would of pulled the stock muuf off and hauled the bike to the muff shop and let them do exact flair fit on hed pipe end and muff end..think head pipe is right there between 1.65" and 1.75" (whatever the metric equal is)at 1.75" head flair some rtv works good if you let it sit/set long enuff
i got too ansey on a couple of trys,got to let it cure..
the 7 deg bend helps keep the caustic exhaust gasses off your rear brake lever/cable assy...no need to drill your oem hanger bar (i did 1st time round) a piece of flat stock and 2 pliers you can fab a hanger to and type of mount your new muff has.. my final flat stock is chrome and all the hdwre is ss..
enjoy the wrenching!!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:22:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Header to sporty muffler adapter ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.