Belt Chirp (Read 315 times)
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Belt Chirp
01/28/09 at 16:08:47

The belt on my Savage has started chirping rather loudly.  I have had a number of bikes with belt drives, and have never experienced this problem before.  After reading the postings, it seems to me that this is not uncommon on the Savage.  The general opinion is that I should put some bee's wax on the belt.  I will give it a try tomorrow.

In the meantime, I have a question for the more mechanically inclined on this site, which given my level of mechanical knowledge, means almost everyone. Why is it that the belt only chirps when the bike is in gear, the clutch is engaged, and the throttle is on? (The chirping goes away when I roll off the throttle, or pull in the clutch, or coast out of gear.)

Thanks

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Belt Chirp
Reply #1 - 01/28/09 at 16:17:18

Mine only ever squeeks in the rain or after its been rained on but I'd suggest you check belt tension. The included belt tool causes a slight overtighening of the belt from what I hear. If you can turn the belt 90 degrees by hand in the middle between the pulleys then you've got the correct tension. If its tighter than that loosen it up a bit and see if that doesnt help the squeeking.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/28/09 at 16:20:22

What have you done lately to the rear wheel?

Chirping is easily caused by an alignment problem.

I bought mine and it was adjusted fine.  I noticed that the belt was riding one side, so I made a small adjustment and she started chirping.  Another adjustment and it was worse.  Finally jacked up the rear adjusted it so when spun it pretty much was in the center.  That worked, locked it down and you'll have to twist my arm pretty hard to get me to play with it again.

WWW   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 01/28/09 at 16:37:50

It was a bit of trial and error for me. Take your time. Loosen the axle bolt (don't forget to use some sort of dole to keep it from spinning), and start tuning the belt adjusters a little at a time. Go for rides until the chirp stops. But yes, I have to agree that the issue is related to the belt being too tight. At least that was the case with mine. Took me about 45 minutes total to get it just right. Got worse before it got better and I knew I was on the right track. Just reversed the turn direction. Freedom from the chirp is only an hours time away. Or less if you're lucky.

FSO
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 01/28/09 at 19:04:04

This might help, and it definitely won't break the bank:

Cheap Rear Wheel Alignment Tool

In general, the wheel alignment index marks on the swingarm are not to be trusted.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 01/28/09 at 19:26:19

Oh just put on a straight pipe.  The L with it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/28/09 at 22:15:09

I took a heavy string & pulled the front pulley cover off, stuck the string on top of the pulley & rolled the bike forward till the string was trapped under the belt & coming out from under the belt at the front edge of the pulley. Pulled the string tight & made it touch the rear edge of the pulley, then lined the rear pulley up to that, Next time, Ill leave the rear pulley pointed to th left a hair.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 01/29/09 at 18:15:43

was it a litle cooler in tucson last you rode?? mine acts up in colder weather..i use belt dressing (DOES NOT attract dirt)and wait till weather is warm again to adjust..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 01/29/09 at 19:03:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/28/09 at 22:15:09:
I took a heavy string & pulled the front pulley cover off, stuck the string on top of the pulley & rolled the bike forward till the string was trapped under the belt & coming out from under the belt at the front edge of the pulley. Pulled the string tight & made it touch the rear edge of the pulley, then lined the rear pulley up to that, Next time, Ill leave the rear pulley pointed to th left a hair.

I read this tutorial countless times, but I cannot figure out what you're doing. I might get it if I could watch what you're doing. Smiley

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #9 - 01/29/09 at 19:25:17

I've never tried this stuff on a Savage drive belt, but it may work to reduce belt noise:

Dry Moly Lube

I've used it on the damper rubbers in the rear wheel of my ST1100.  It sticks to rubber very well and dries to a thin, tough layer of moly paint (that's the best way I can describe it).

Since the spec sheet says you can use it for belts, I'm guessing it would not harm our belts any.

Might be worth a shot for any of you prospective guinea pigs out there!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 01/29/09 at 23:36:56

Digger wrote on 01/29/09 at 19:25:17:
Might be worth a shot for any of you prospective guinea pigs out there!

I have some moly-lube,.....
Wire up the electrodes,...I'm gonna' try it.... Huh

« Last Edit: 01/30/09 at 11:02:14 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #11 - 01/30/09 at 18:57:21

Serowbot wrote on 01/29/09 at 23:36:56:
I have some moly-lube,.....
Wire up the electrodes,...I'm gonna' try it.... Huh

Cool

For any others who would like to experiment, I got my can of Dry Moly Lube at the local Fastenal outlet.

I'd try it myself, except that my belt is as quiet as can be right now and I don't want to change anything?   Smiley

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 01/31/09 at 18:03:24

this chirping business has come up countless times over the years - and the myriad of solutions have been very helpful

for my 2 cents - I just bring out either a bar of soap and rub it along the inside and outside edges of the belt or I bring out a bit of dish washing liquid soap and do the same thing.

That stops the chirp until the next time it rains - then I have to reapply the soap

Not a big problem to solve really

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 02/02/09 at 09:05:20

Black shoe polish (paste kind) not only looks good it makes that belt be quiet and stays on perty good.

Works for me.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 02/02/09 at 11:39:10

Having done this twice on 2 different bikes, I have some confidence in that it works.

loosen the axle.
jack the rear wheel up.  
adjust the tensioners until the belt is the correct tension.
rotate the wheel by hand in the normal direction of travel.  
adjust the tensioners until the belt rides in the center of the pulley.
rotate the wheel by hand in the reverse direction of travel.  
re-adjust as neccessary.
repeat until you have a happy medium.

Now, of course both bikes came w/o squeaks so there weren't any alignment issues.  One began to squeak when I mis adjusted it, so it is capable of squeaking.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:38:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Belt Chirp

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.