Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
STARTER QUESTION (Read 101 times)
YaBB Newbies

Savage

port orange fl.
STARTER QUESTION
01/28/09 at 07:23:05

im not sure if it is my starter or something else. when i hit the start button it clicks, sometimes starts, does nothing and sometimes turns not enough to start. my battery is fully charged and plenty of fluid in the cells. it does alot of the clicking thing. so does that sound like the starter? if so can i rebuild the starter? or is it better just to buy a new one?

any suggestions would be great.
thx 95

Savage Racer
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: STARTER QUESTION
Reply #1 - 01/28/09 at 07:37:17

A lot of clicking to me sounds like you are not getting good electrical contact in either the starter button or the relay.

You can clean the button, while you're at it, make sure the battery cables are on tight and are clean.  check the ground to the engine.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/28/09 at 14:20:08

Yep, check the ground & have a look at the bat tree connections too.
Like was said, cleaning the starter button may be in your future. Pretty small stuff in there, but its not complicated in there. Recommend you cover the tank with towels . Also, putting the bike on a CLean solid floor can help. I sweep the floor before I start on jobs like this & maybe even drop a towel on the floor to keep thinghs from hitting the floor & propelling themselves into another dimension, never to be seen again. Have good light, unless you are young enough to still be able to see without it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 01/28/09 at 14:37:32

Bike starters may be different but for car starters that is usually solenoid issue.  I imagine it's the same though.  The starter solenoid works as an electric switch - when actuated, it closes the circuit and connects the starter motor to the battery. At the same time, it pushes the starter gear forward to mesh with the engine's flywheel.  They start acting funny before they go out..  That's when people start banging on the solenoid to get it to work a few more times before it goes out for good.  You can often rebuild the solenoid which basically means putting in new magnets.

IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/28/09 at 16:03:25

just check the battery first. dont just go pulling stuff apart without knowing if the basic stuff is ok first. always check the simple things to begin with.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 01/28/09 at 18:19:09

Great advice.

IP Logged
YaBB Newbies

Savage

port orange fl.
Reply #6 - 01/29/09 at 06:25:14

THANKS TO ALL WHO COMMENTED. I think i fixed it....... it was the small stuff. i took apart the kill switch and cleaned off and scraped up the contact points inside the switch, and that seemed to do the trick.
Thanks again savage's

Savage Racer
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 09:41:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › STARTER QUESTION

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.