Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
OIL TEMP / PRESSURE GAUGE (Read 351 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: OIL TEMP / PRESSURE GAUGE
Reply #15 - 02/03/09 at 08:54:00

J C Whitney used to sell a cylinder head temp gauge for Volkswagens. The sender was an item like a spark plug gasket, which was used to replace the gasket on one of the plugs. Seems to me it might mount in place of, or in addition to, the gasket on the oil drain plug and provide a temperature reading. I believe a similar item is still available from aircraft sources. If you got two, you could also have cylinder head temperature. If I remember correctly it was a thermocouple type device and did not require external power, unless it had a lighted dial. True, it would not be immersed in the oil, but the aluminum engine case is a pretty good heat conductor.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #16 - 02/03/09 at 09:44:10

Charon wrote on 02/03/09 at 08:54:00:
J C Whitney used to sell a cylinder head temp gauge for Volkswagens. The sender was an item like a spark plug gasket, which was used to replace the gasket on one of the plugs. Seems to me it might mount in place of, or in addition to, the gasket on the oil drain plug and provide a temperature reading. I believe a similar item is still available from aircraft sources. If you got two, you could also have cylinder head temperature. If I remember correctly it was a thermocouple type device and did not require external power, unless it had a lighted dial. True, it would not be immersed in the oil, but the aluminum engine case is a pretty good heat conductor.

Yes, I remember something like that for competition Fiat 500s...

I believe it was called a "pyrometer", and read the combustion chamber temperature...
...in fact, it could read as high as 400'C !!!  Shocked

I'll see what the guys at Suzuki say tomorrow... I'll show them my bits ...

Huh
Shocked
Grin

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 02/03/09 at 15:03:13

Out of curiosity I did a Google search on "cht gauge". One of the sites I indirectly found is www.dakotadigital.com. They have some interesting, although pricey, items. Be it noted I have no financial interest in them.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #18 - 02/04/09 at 07:39:28

http://www.bikercom.com/shop/index.php?page=pp_producto.php&md=0&ref=GZ-130000

This is the gauge that I have on my '03 Savage. I don't have the mechanical knowledge many have on this site, but I like "bells and whistles" and thought this was an easy mod.  

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:33:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › OIL TEMP / PRESSURE GAUGE

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.