Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Oil pressure at idle, oil pressure at low speeds (Read 711 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Oil pressure at idle, oil pressure at low spee
Reply #30 - 01/27/09 at 21:49:45

"Curiouser and Curiouser" said Alice to the Cat.

We are challenged in that we MUST maintain flow and pressure to the head cam journal bearings -- and we dare not violate these precepts or we can join the many who are in search of the rare spare head with virgin undamaged head journal bearings.

Pressure -- don't tap any flow unless pressure is up to 9-10 psi so you have some oil volume to steal from   (the designed crack pressure inherent to the check valve does this)

Flow -- use only a small 10 psi flow through a 3/32 drilled orifice passage to balance the alternate flow amount.

Conclusion:  the amount of bypass oil going through a 3/32 drilled orifice and on up through a massive 1/8" tubing to the bypass filter is sooooo tiny it has to fall under the heading of "why bother?"  

Stealing bypass oil from the oil pump simply isn't worth the risk -- there is not enough flow and pressure there to steal from safely.

=================

There is no excess pressure or volume being vented in the Savage oil system by any form of bypass valve.   It is all going to the head or the transmission.  

This scarce resource is intentionally metered by Suzuki engineers using a form of tuned pilot jet technology to send all extra pressure and volume to the head.

=================

Folks running them cute little oil coolers off the oil gallery on a Savage are living in a world of increased risk.   Our bikes can kill the cam journal bearings naturally without bleeding off the existing oil pressure and volume to go run an oil cooler.

Running temperature and pressure gages is fine -- no oil really moves around when you run a pressure gage.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 01/27/09 at 22:19:19

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/27/09 at 21:49:45:
Folks running them cute little oil coolers off the oil gallery on a Savage are living in a world of increased risk.   Our bikes can kill the cam journal bearings naturally without bleeding off the existing oil pressure and volume to go run an oil cooler.

and the door mouse said "keep your head"

Those cute little coolers running from one oil port to another don't syphon off any volume or pressure.  They mearly give oil an alternate cooler path in which to flow.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 01/28/09 at 11:49:21

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 01/28/09 at 15:02:48

<Those cute little coolers running from one oil port to another don't syphon off any volume or pressure.  They mearly give oil an alternate cooler path in which to flow.>

Come again?  Any real push force to make the oil flow would have to come from the oil gallery tunnel (takes volume and pressure from the tranny and head) and the return flow from the cooler goes where again?  

If you say the bottom port into the oil tunnel, then I would say that not much other than a smidgen of momentum and some hot oil convection from cooling is moving the oil around at all, whatever movement is taking place.   And yes, that "no powered flow" system would not steal anything from the oil tunnel and whatever pressure caused whatever to move however much it did move would not be subtractive from the head and tranny.

=================

Synlube -- wonder what them little super special colloidal solid lubricant rollie balls would do inside our wet clutch.  

Slippy slippy cocobop, slip until you drop ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #34 - 01/28/09 at 16:02:55

There are hydraulic losses any time a fluid is pumped thru anything.Every turn & every inch of plumbing requires power to drive the fluid. If a guy took a piece of 1/2 ID PVC pipe & hooked it to a pump that runs @ 2 GPM & the pipe was dead level & 1 mile long, how long till the water comes out the end? It never makes it, because the pipe ruptures, providing our theoretical pump pushes 2 GPM, regardless of the pressure it encounters.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 01/28/09 at 16:44:59

JOG your analogy doesn't apply

The pink arrows would be the oil cooler path.  The little black arrows between the pink highlighted oil route is the current path.  Oil pressure to the cooler is provided by sudden change in direction the normal path makes.

OF, not proposing to use super oil but super filter.  plus the readin' was interesting.  External oil filter rigs are easy to come by.  (think I got one hidden somewhere)  These filters are documented to filter to 10 microns vs. an unknown value for a OF hyper filter.  Another possibility is the bio-diesel folks are using household water filters.  And those are available to 2 microns.

My intentions are still to hyper filter the oil and maintain the oil level using an external machine.  All she needs is a heart plug to tap into the sump while parked.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 01/29/09 at 03:22:38

Well, I enjoyed playing with it, building up the filter that is.  Playing with understanding the system was fun too.  

I borrowed a large face 0-60 psi gage from work so I could do a temporary rig up to monitor my own bike's pressure levels.

I <may> hook up the remote tank rigging using 1/8" tubing all the way back to the head then hook up the gage below and monitor the pressure as reduced by the entire system.  With all the tubing and filter resistance it should be greatly reduced compared to measuring it at the engine tap points.

Why measure it at the end where it is greatly reduced?  One, it is totally real to the attached filter system pieces.   Second, it is cooled down by all the tiny 1/8" copper tubing just about to air ambient temperature.  

Third, because pressure is reduced and temperature is low, I can splice in a tiny, easy to trip (fine increment adjustment) plastic check valve to clip a tiny amount of oil volume at an exactly known pressure so I won't feel like I am going to kill my engine.

Measuring that 1/8" check valve passed volume with a cup measure, I can precisely state the volume stolen from the oil system and how long it would take to cycle my oil sump through the filter one time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #37 - 01/29/09 at 06:20:43

Seems to me you have a good idea of what you are doing.  But I had a couple more thoughts. There is enough vibration on the Savage that you might have problems with the copper lines cracking or breaking. I think I would prefer to use a more flexible line, or at least plumb in some stress relieving loops. You might want to insulate the line from the engine to the filter, or else the oil might cool enough to reduce the filter flow due to higher viscosity. I would consider insulating the filter, too, and then putting an oil cooler into the return line. The oil return line should have essentially no pressure because you are just dumping it back into the engine through an open line. The only pressure would come from line friction (ignoring elevation differences).

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #38 - 02/01/09 at 16:19:55

Ah, gentle reader .....

This discussion went off line for a while until Versagen discovered the relatively inexpensive ($25) fuel oil filter systems with the fairly cheap ($3) replacement filter elements.   The discussion then hotted back up and got down and dirty practical as two experimental systems began to take form ....

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1233533908

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Oil pressure at idle, and at low speed
Reply #39 - 02/01/09 at 18:00:33

What I was searching for was a verified 10 micron filter.  Dems is big words over on the HD forum.  And it took me to a couple of high priced m/c filter mfg's who stated that they made one to fit the Savage  Shocked, well in their write up they said they were spin on canisters, aw chit.  Letter written to both the dumb @$$es to straighten them out.  Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll send me one to test   Grin

Any way here's the $24 filter assembly I found.

Filter elements come by the case.

Now my hat's off to OF and his pal yogurt for coming up with the idea.  And I'm a minimalist by heart so when OF hangs his filter off the furthest part of the bike he can go  Shocked  I naturally want to hang it directly off the port, so low that you don't have to worry about drain back.  And metering done by a single washer with the appropriate sized hole for a trickle at freeway speeds, nearly nothing around town.

Sold to the 4 wheeled crowd as a bypass filter.

Another filter I found was from the biodiesel people.  Dem french fry people use whole house sediment filters.  Not something I want to put hot oil thru.  But if you hang it off the back...

OF, you might look at those filter elements if you get tired of rollin' your own.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 02/01/09 at 18:14:20

I look at it lustfully -- like I said, if I hadn't already started on the path I am already partially down I would definitely be using your system.  It is a superior starting point in every aspect.

Go there, gentle reader follow Verslagen on the choice of filters -- do not go where I went as if I had it to do over again I'd get Verslagen's fiter as my starting point too.

============

Same token -- both Verslagen and i have to beat the same vibration and heat problems running the plumbing.   Gander at the differences in thoughts and methods accordingly.  He will swing minimal, smaller and close up, I will go longer further and bigger.  

We both get there, but the differences are interesting ....

(especially when you hit the edge of a ditch up in the mountains on that there infamous mountain trip)

Grin

« Last Edit: 02/02/09 at 16:02:38 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #41 - 02/01/09 at 23:19:22

The wvo people use these...

That's a small block chev oil pump.  capable of 40 psi. hooked up to an electric motor.

The second bolt hole from the bottom on the right indicates the oil level.  My thought is to route a drain and fill line from either the oil fill port or drill and tap the case.  Drain line has to go to the bottom, but the fill line just has to go to the nominal oil level.

OK, the senario goes like this, you come back from a ride, park it in your favorite spot, you plug the filter & pump to the bike and walk away.  Oil circulates & is filtered. You come back after a predetermined time and flip a switch.  Oil now is pumped into the bike by the drain line and sucked back up thru the fill line.  If there's not enough oil in the case, the fill line sucks air until it comes up to level from a make up tank on the filter/pump.

Zer gut ya?   Grin

« Last Edit: 02/02/09 at 11:54:57 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #42 - 02/02/09 at 01:57:37

verslagen1 wrote on 02/01/09 at 23:19:22:
The wvo people use these...

My thought is to route a drain and fill line from either the oil fill port or drill and tap the case.  Drain line has to go to the bottom, but the fill line just has to go to the nominal oil level.

OK, the senario goes like this, you come back from a ride, park it in your favorite spot, you plug the filter & pump to the bike and walk away.  

One of these QD fittings might work nicely with your idea I think so you could literally 'plug' the pump into bike.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #43 - 02/02/09 at 08:39:02

SV og LS wrote on 02/02/09 at 01:57:37:
One of these QD fittings might work nicely with your idea I think so you could literally 'plug' the pump into bike.

Great looking stuff... however, Yogurt frowns... a C note for 2 hoses  Shocked  $50 the pump and filter are.  Look more you will.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #44 - 02/13/09 at 09:06:13

Harbor Frieght sell an air brush hose with a miniture quick connect for less than $10 each.  I doubt those are valved, so would need to be capped when not in use.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 12:43:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil pressure at idle, oil pressure at low speeds

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.