Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Oil pressure at idle, oil pressure at low speeds (Read 711 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Oil pressure at idle, oil pressure at low speeds
01/22/09 at 13:51:28

The source thread for this one was the second of a series of typical list oil wars -- this one was a pretty good one as it was enthusiastic but polite and unusually factually based (good research done by most everyone)

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1231439524

==============================

What is the Savage's oil pressure at 1,000 rpm idle speed (fully warmed up) and what is it at the low speeds you would achieve in say a parking lot.

There is a method to this odd question's madness.

When you  set up a bypass oil filter system (remote filter) you need to put anti-backflow check valves in place to keep the "storage oil" that sits inside the relatively large bypass filter housing oil from flooding back into your sump while the bike is sitting on the sidestand.  Since these filters can hold as much oil as our sump does, you understand the need to keep it all out of the sump.

Since you gotta have them little check valves on both "to" and "from" lines, you have the opportunity to do a little serendipity magic.

The little cheap check valves that you would use for this sort of work are built to a fixed opening or "crack open" pressure setting.  These crack open pressures can range from a fraction of a psi up to about 12 psi (generally in 2 psi increments).

I want to set the crack open pressure slightly up over the fully hot 1,000 rpm idle oil pressure setting so that at a stop light ALL of the oil goes through the standard passages up to the plain head bearings unreduced and unimpeded by the bypass filter system.

This is a good thing ...

So, I will get no negative pressure affects on the internal oil system at all until the motor rpm gets high enough to exceed the crack open  pressure, enough to supply both the existing oil pressure needs and have enough pressure left over to trickle oil through the sub micron bypass and then dump it --- into the head pool bucket of all places!

Then I slightly deepen the head pool bucket by raising a little epoxy lip on the exit side that intentionally directs the slightly higher oil pool to empty --- on the cam chain as it goes down the front side to the bottom sprocket (force lubing both the chain and the wear stressed front chain guide).

So, you guys with them oil pressure gauges do tell, what is the Savage's oil pressure at 1,000 rpm idle speed (fully warmed up) and what is it at the low speeds you would achieve in say a parking lot.

« Last Edit: 02/01/09 at 16:27:33 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Oil pressure at idle, oil pressure at low spee
Reply #1 - 01/22/09 at 14:36:17

sm spec as follows:
7.1 -10.7 psi @ 3000 rpm & 140F

hope this helps

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 01/22/09 at 15:02:08

No, not really.   Search turns up low figures of 2-4 psi for thin 10w40 dino oil on a hot day and 5-7 for 20w50 dino oil on a hot day with a hot engine at idle speed.  

Lotsa data span here, too much not to question it a bit.

Very cold engines always seem to give high (50 psi) pressures no matter what, so that might be a reflection of a sludgy dino product not flowing well when cold.

Most of this pressure info is VERY OLD and the points being discussed back then might have flavored the topic a bit.  Way back then we were just learning we HAD to run a 1,000 rpm idle or pay the head bearing piper for too low oil an pressure due to a hot slow idle.

============

Looking for somebody with a current accurate oil pressure gauge to give me some current real numbers.

« Last Edit: 01/23/09 at 01:33:47 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 01/22/09 at 18:46:13

Oldfeller,
  Those are the numbers I get.  The 50 psig is why I up-graded to a 60 PSI gauge.  I had a 30 PSI gauge to start with.

It should be noted, when I took the "Experienced Rider" safety course in 80 deg F weather, the 20W50 got down to 2-4 psig at idle, but we were idling alot and then quick accel's and sudden stops so the bike didn't get much air past the fins.  Not a normal situations I would say.

Can you get a 5 psi valve?

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 01/22/09 at 20:00:53

if you mount the filter low enuff and pointed down while on side stand would you still need a check valve?

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 01/23/09 at 01:26:59

There is no low enough on the bike to be lower than the sump.  Tough to get lower than the head on a frame mount position.  Safer and smarter to have check valves on each side in any case.

I know you can get a six (6) psi crack pressure check valve.  Put it on the exit from the oil pump channel then put a fraction psi check valve on the return side of the bypass filter going to the head.

Bike hits six psi, oil flow to bypass filter starts -- not much flow used as bypass filter is pretty restrictive --- any pressure through filter is enough to actuate valve heading to the head.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 01/23/09 at 03:08:51

T-Mack, what sort of pressures do you see when riding?  

Our riding RPMs are around 3,000-4,000 rpm so oil pump volume output will be at whatever maximum ounces per minute that the pump generates and the pressure will be being vented by whatever internal overpressure valve the Savage uses.

Important to have the check valve to the large bypass filter be a lower crack pressure than the Savage's internal dump valve pressure or it won't be functional at all.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 01/23/09 at 17:43:33

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/23/09 at 03:08:51:
T-Mack, what sort of pressures do you see when riding?  

Our riding RPMs are around 3,000-4,000 rpm so oil pump volume output will be at whatever maximum ounces per minute that the pump generates and the pressure will be being vented by whatever internal overpressure valve the Savage uses.

Important to have the check valve to the large bypass filter be a lower crack pressure than the Savage's internal dump valve pressure or it won't be functional at all.

Hmmmmm.... can you see me scratching my head from there?   I'm trying to remember...... but... some questions....

Cold engine,  warm engine, summer, winter,  city riding, highway riding,  when I had 10W-40 or with the 20W-50 Mobil 1 Vtwin .....  can you see that there are some variables that may take some thinking on your part.    

I must say that I don't look at the oil pressure very often. I mainly look at the tach.   I'm about 90% sure that on a summer day in the 80's it runs in the 12 to 18 psig range crusing 55-60 mph,  with the Mobil One in it.

As for the "the Savage's internal dump valve pressure " , I'm not so sure there is one.  Only a filter bypass in the filter for clogs.  And the little restrictor by the starter so that the oil goes up to the head instead of the path of least resistance to the tranny.  I had the pump apart and it's super simple.  Could be why the pressure varies so much from cold to warm....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #8 - 01/24/09 at 06:11:00

Just some more data to back up T Macks' observations. My oil pressure gage, using Mobil 1 V-Twiin 20-50w,  reads around 10-14PSIG at speeds in the 45-65 range. If I push the revs up above 4500 I might see readings as high as 15-18PSIG. Never seen anything over 20 except at startup on a cold day.

All warmed up at 1100 rpm idle, the gage shows about 2 psi, as the picture below shows. The oil gage is the one on the lower left.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 01/24/09 at 15:32:53

In-feed line check valve crack pressure around 6-7 psi would meet all the requirements then.  Safely higher than the idle psi so all the oil at idle goes up the internal plumbing to the head bearings -- low enough that the bypass system is "on" if the bike is rolling at any significant speed.  

Return line to the head could use a .5 psi check valve simply to keep the oil from pooling in the sump.

You answered my last concern -- which filter media to use.  If all I have to work with is 10-14 psi max I had better stick with Bounty paper towel material instead of the stiffer brown hand dispenser paper.  Bounty is more porous than the stiff brown paper, but is still plenty tough enough to keep from losing chunks of paper a al Gort.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 01/24/09 at 18:07:14

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/23/09 at 01:26:59:
There is no low enough on the bike to be lower than the sump.  Tough to get lower than the head on a frame mount position.  Safer and smarter to have check valves on each side in any case.

I know you can get a six (6) psi crack pressure check valve.  Put it on the exit from the oil pump channel then put a fraction psi check valve on the return side of the bypass filter going to the head.

Bike hits six psi, oil flow to bypass filter starts -- not much flow used as bypass filter is pretty restrictive --- any pressure through filter is enough to actuate valve heading to the head.

Once it goes thru that check valve the pressure will be lower.  Hense will you have enough pressure to run the filter if the pressure is 30 -6 psi?  or 18 - 6psi?

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #11 - 01/25/09 at 05:37:49

I think I understand what you are trying to accomplish - better oil filtration. But I am curious to know how you are planning to quantify your results. My guess would be that the overall objective is to increase engine life, but I cannot see how you would measure that unless you have engine-life data from other non-modified machines. Increasing oil life might be another objective, but unless you have some way to test the oil you may have difficulty verifying the results. And the oil tests probably cost more than simply changing the oil and filter in the first place. Don't get me wrong - I think it is an interesting experiment. I just wonder how you'll know whether it worked.

As an aside, you mentioned that your new bypass filter will hold about as much oil as is already in the system. That means you will double the oil quantity, which means you will double the mileage (or time) required for oil viscosity to drop or for contaminants to build, even if the new filter were omitted from the housing.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 01/25/09 at 08:09:05

Charon is asking me if my proposed wimsy is actually cheating a bit.
Yep, in several ways.           (I likes to cheat a bit, I do)

The extra quart or more of oil does increase mileage capacity of the oil load because I will be filtering half again to twice as much oil as originally equipped on a Savage.  

Next, I will be putting the tank horizontally on the sissy bar right over the brake light.  This appeals to me as being "out of the way" and not cluttering up the lines of the motor part of the bike.   Plus it will look interesting sitting back there and everyone coming up behind me will wonder what the heck it is.  

Heck, I may put me a name brand nitrous bottle sticker on it just for the giggles of it.

Next, the long quarter inch copper lines running to it and back will act as as an oil cooler.  Cooled, cleaned oil being dumped back in the head will help cool that hot zone in a somewhat minor manner.   Cam bearings, cam lobes and tappet flats will see some minor advantage from a steady bath of much cooler very clean oil.

Damming up the head pool such that it has an intentional extended oil exit chute to dump the running oil on the cam chain at the front guide junction can only help those two pieces to live longer.

Remember, I'm copying at 1/2 scale a bypass oil filter that is commonly used on 30 quart oil capacity 16 wheelers that run it for 10,000 miles between Bounty filter material changes.  

Let's ASSUME that I could filter 15 quarts of oil for a similar distance  (using 1/2 scale factor -- just for discussions sake -- I know you won't really agree to assume anything, but that's OK)  so factor in the idea we are only dealing with 3-4 quarts of oil and a 650 cc motor cycle engine instead of a 14,000 cc diesel engine pumping 30 quarts of oil we might assume to get some sort of 15x (less trash produced) life mulitiplier might theoretically apply to some sort of degree.

Too many Blackstone oil analysis done by too many truckers and BOBSTHEOILGUY combatants say the Bounty oil filter material works to get fine trash out of oil.  Mind you, I have already removed all the ferrous materials with the supermagnet sitting on the main filter, all we are feeding this secondary bypass filter is the fine non-ferrous trash.

And yes, you will lose pressure going through the check valves and all that long tubing.  I have an drain tap on the drum that I will use to vent air out of the system that can also be used to do a "incoming" volume check on the oil reaching the system back at the sissy bar.  Unhooking the head piping can do a final "output" delivery check as well.

As long as the volume is appreciable as far as lubing the cam chain goes then the system "works well enough".  Any light drool through the system would process the total system's 3-4 quarts of oil fairly quickly.

And the good news is that if it plugs itself up totally, why then I'm back to just using the stock Suzuki lubrication system,  jest like da rest of youse guys.

Grin

And if I only change the oil once a year when I change the main oil filter element (still the weakest part of the overall system) then I can see if there is any difference in the non-ferrous trash build up on the filter element.  Also, if cam chain wear out is eventually documented enough to create an averaged value then I could see if I get an noticable increase in cam chain life that could maybe might be a possible indicator of increased motor wear life.

Like the orange cat sez, "You gotta keep things in the proper kitty perspective"

« Last Edit: 01/25/09 at 11:01:13 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 01/25/09 at 09:32:36

personally I think mounting the filter lower than the fluid level would  be best and omitting the check valves.  The place where I have a carbon canister would be ideal.  Run a skinny enough line to the head so as not to drop or raise the oil level when running and there you go.

I don't think you're going to have much flow at 30 psi, and none at idle.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 01/25/09 at 10:07:36

Perhaps I was unclear in my question. Granting that the filter works as planned, and gets out more and finer particles, how are you going to decide whether it actually makes a difference in engine life?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:07:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil pressure at idle, oil pressure at low speeds

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.