Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Helmet and Glasses Suggestions Wanted (Read 299 times)
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
New Helmet and Glasses Suggestions Wanted
01/19/09 at 17:12:46

Went to the local Suzuki dealer today to get oil and a new filter for my S40...

While we were there, we looked at some new helmets. I ran a full face helmet this past year, but I've been thinking of going with a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet for local riding to and from work. They had a 3/4 helmet that had a zip off ear and neck guard that I really liked... Anyone use something like this?

And once I go with a helmet that has no face shield I'll need some sort of riding eyewear. Suggestion on brands or places to go for them? I have a decent set of Oakley's, but are they enough or will I need specific riding glasses?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: New Helmet and Glasses Suggestions Wanted
Reply #1 - 01/19/09 at 17:55:36

You said any,.....so.....
You're a young man,... might want to keep your face, so I'd recommend you stay with a FF....
Stats show we tend to lead with our chins in crashes,....

Either way,... Ride safe.... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/19/09 at 18:07:48

First 2 times I totalled a bike, I had no helmet on, walked away from both of them.

The last time I smashed on, I had on a full face. I stuck my face into the drivers side cab corner, right behind the drivers head. The force drove the strap into my throat hard enough I was still "feeling it" when I swallopwed, 3 weeks later. Even split my lip on the chin protector.I figure that had I survived with only a regular helmet, I would be way ugly(er) & the cost of the surgeries would have been asstronomical.

That said, IF I had been wearing a helmet on the first one, I would have been killed, because it would have been a fulcrum between head & shoulder, breaking my neck, since I landed on the side of my head & my shoulder, scootuing along just below 60 MPH. So, knowing what I know, having seen & experienced crashes, I choose a flip faced helmet.
Your life, your call,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 01/19/09 at 20:05:51

Glasses?

I've got well over 100,000 miles on a pair of Spinnakers:

Spinnakers

The ones I have feature removable lenses.  When it gets dark, I pop the dark lens out and pop in the clear one.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #4 - 01/19/09 at 20:17:22

helmets are really a personal choice, as for glasses i always ride with safety glasses. the sun glass style for daytime and the clear for nights. never had any issues with them.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/19/09 at 21:58:46

started with a 3/4. Hate to say it because I know I'm gambling with death but I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to use a helmet. I really cant resist the wind in my hair now that I've tried it. Personally, as a smoker who tells others not to smoke but who has no intention to quit, I suggest nothing less than 3/4. Chances are with a 3/4 you might end up ugly and owing hospital bills but you'll probably be alive after a crash. If you're going to go 1/2 you might aswell just not wear one at all. Too little protection IMO to do anything but make you feel safer. If you're going to get 3/4, instead of getting glasses I'd just get a removable face shield. That will do a whole lot better at deflecting bugs/apples/leaves/rocks/etc from your face and will still allow plenty of air to flow through so you dont feel suffocated or claustrophobic like I do in a FF.

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #6 - 01/19/09 at 22:15:14

rigidchop wrote on 01/19/09 at 20:17:22:
helmets are really a personal choice, as for glasses i always ride with safety glasses. the sun glass style for daytime and the clear for nights. never had any issues with them.

Im a huge proponent of safety glasses.  At $5 or $6 a pair they cant be beat.  They have no frame to obstruct your view and they're rated to take impacts.  And if you ever lose them or need to get new glasses, you can get the same exact kind at any Home Depot or major hardware store.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 01/19/09 at 23:53:37

I wear glasses & I have never been able to own a second pair & like it. Ive had the prescription shades & the regular glasses, but the frames never quite fit exactly the same & the difference bugs me, like letting someone else put your hat on, its just never quite right.
So, I go to the eye doctor & buy those cheesy roll up plastic shades for 50cents each & stick them behind my glasses. Ill lose & or break shades that fit over the glasses. I like the complete shade instead of just in front of my eye. They are UV, too, so 50 cents is a quality shade,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/20/09 at 07:09:40

I like my face so I use full face. I bought a gold tinted visor for those sunny days. When I wish to have wind in my face and lift up the visor. As for sun glasses, when I used to do a beaner and sun glasses I found my sun glasses kept getting dinged by rocks flying up. Bugs in the face also are no fun.

IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #9 - 01/20/09 at 08:02:33

I wear a half helmet in the warmer tempatures with a pair of Oakleys and they are just fine. I actually like the wind in my face.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 01/20/09 at 11:57:08

When I first got the bike I just grabbed a regular helmet with a flip up visor. I wanted that "wind in the face" sensation, so I popped the visor off & got some goggles. It was fun for a while, but eventually the dirt & stuff the oncoming traffic kicked up, the bugs & stuff just got old. I started using the visor. Then, when I went to get the Guzzi down in Houston, the guy I bought it from pointed out that I might live longer with a FF helmet. I had no idea what the crash stats showed, but there is a graph somewhere that shows impact zones & how often they get hit. Seems the face takes a licking more often than the back of the head. I wish I knew where that graphic is, Its online somewhere.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #11 - 01/20/09 at 12:40:25

Thanks for the suggestions guys... As I noted in my initial post, I am going to be keeping my full face helmets for long trips... My commute into work is less than 7 miles with 1 lane of traffic in each direction, traveling between 45 and 55 mph...

I have the Suzuki OEM windshield on the bike too, so that will deflect most of the bugs, dirt, rocks away from my face if I do go with a 3/4 helmet.

I really liked the feel of the 3/4 helmet... As sometimes I feel soffocated with a full face (I also use my helmet for autoX'ing my Festiva)... I know the statistics are against my favor while using a 3/4 helmet vs. a full face... But, I see too many people wearing no helmets who are still out there, that I've got to fair at least a LITTLE better than no helmet at all.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 01/20/09 at 16:34:33

I see tuff biker dudes, with plain old wire-rimmed glasses.... but I always tear up from the wind... I need at least wrap-arounds, if not goggles...
Try your Oakleys and see how they work for you.... no tears,.. you're good to go....

but I'm 99% FF now...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #13 - 01/20/09 at 16:39:45

Full face for me when traveling any distance and/or freeways. I have a 7mile ride to work also so I've been using the half helmet and clear safety goggles. I used the full face when it was real cold here a while back also(real cold to a california boy..not you east coast and midwest guys). I just picked up one of those neoprene face covers to use with the half helmet and it works and feels great. Plenty of protection from the wind, debris and cold.

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #14 - 01/23/09 at 19:12:30

My girlfriend surprised me with a helmet for my birthday (on Thursday)... It's an HJC half helmet with zip off ear protection.

Looks like this, except mine is all black.

I'm not really sure about this over an actual 3/4 helmet, but I like the way it fits and I am guessing that the leather sides would protect a "little" (or, at least more than no helmet).

I can't wait to get out and ride with it. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 19:41:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Helmet and Glasses Suggestions Wanted

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!