Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How much does your Savage weigh? (Read 500 times)
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
How much does your Savage weigh?
01/19/09 at 10:54:49

This might be stupid topic but maybe some of you guys will get into it with me. I'm just curious, if the dry weight of a new Savage is about 355#'s, how much do some of our Savages weigh with all our mods?The feed store on my street has a vehicle scale so I'm going to head over and see if they'll let me weigh mine. Otherwise, some of you physics savvy gents might know if this will work or not- Do you think you could put the front tire on a regular scale, and then the back, and add them to get a close enough #? Something like the method some truck scales use by driving each axle over the scale and adding it. I'm sure it wouldn't be exact since there's variable involved but maybe it's close? Just a thought..

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Re: How much does your Savage weigh?
Reply #1 - 01/19/09 at 11:00:50

Actually the more I just thought of it, the more variables there would be. Dry weight from the factory could mean a variety of things missing, not just fuel. If you add fuel, oil and battery you're talking something like another 30# difference? Oh well, it would still be interesting to get an idea.

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #2 - 01/19/09 at 14:44:55

what do you hope the gain from this knowledge!!  Smiley

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #3 - 01/19/09 at 15:44:18

Can't you just hold it in your arms and step onto your bathroom scale? Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 01/19/09 at 16:46:21

weight one wheel at a time.

WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #5 - 01/19/09 at 16:53:41

I thought the 352lb curb weight was the weight of the bike with accessories (like battery, etc)? Gas would be extra, but that is minimal.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 01/19/09 at 17:18:10

When Motorcycle Consumer News tested their '96 Savage, they got a wet weight of 390 pounds.

Added, after I found my records: My '07 S40, stock with an added Plexifairing 3, 172 lbs front, 215 lbs rear, for a total of 387. Full fuel minus what it took to get home from the gas station 20 miles away. I used a bathroom scale which, conveniently, is about as thick as the height of my garage floor above the driveway, so the bike was level front to back.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 01/19/09 at 17:50:13

that must have been really wet!.....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/19/09 at 18:12:06

I dont knowwht it weighs, but when I drop it, I can pick it up w/o any help & not need a trip to the chiropractor, I like that about it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #9 - 01/19/09 at 19:13:07

Haha I figured this might turn out stupid. Ok so the whole reason this came about is my buddy and I were discussing formulas for calculating things. We were trying to decide if there was a calculation used at the truck scale or if each axle weighed and added was it. Pretty dumb I guess but I connected it to my Savage. Decided I'd go to the scale and weigh the bike, then weigh each tire here at home and see if they add up. There are some really smart folks here so I thought someone would enjoy giving up the solution. But, in all reality, it doesn't matter how much it weighs I guess..it still kicks a$$!

IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #10 - 01/19/09 at 19:38:08

Using the same methon Charon used, I got about 170 front, 180 rear. What have we learned here?...this is stupid.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #11 - 01/20/09 at 00:09:44

KLX weighs 326lbs with half fuel, oil and coolant.

Clive W Smiley

IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/20/09 at 03:52:15

Not stupid, it was an interesting question...and now I feel compelled to pull out the bathroom scale and put on one wheel at a time, just for grins.  Cool
Amy

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #13 - 01/20/09 at 05:59:51

Quote:
I dont knowwht it weighs, but when I drop it, I can pick it up w/o any help & not need a trip to the chiropractor, I like that about it.

You got that right. A Savage rider really appreciates the weight factor once they've been down, can't get the bike back up on their own and there's no one around to give them a hand.  

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 01/20/09 at 06:14:18

It isn't a Savage, but my 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja weighs 166 pounds front, 181 pounds rear, for a total of 347 pounds. Fuel was not quite full. Kawasaki's propaganda flyer claims 304 pounds dry.

Motorcycle magazines have commented on the published dry weights, and have wondered from whence they came. Suspicion is that they come from the same department that publishes advertised horsepower.

For those who commented on picking up a downed Savage, a little searching will find videos of a small woman "Skert" picking up quite large downed motorcycles such as Gold Wings and big BMWs. It appears to be less about brute force than technique.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:20:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How much does your Savage weigh?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.