Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question about 70-80 MPH on a Savage consistently? (Read 470 times)
87SavageBobber
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Question about 70-80 MPH on a Savage consisten
Reply #15 - 01/18/09 at 10:10:28

Paladin. wrote on 01/17/09 at 18:20:34:
Redline is 6500 rpm, 5300 rpm on a stock bike is 81 mph.  Not straining the engine at all.  Drop to 5000 rpms and you are cruising at 77 mph which is passing most interstate traffic.  70 is about right, and is only 4580 rpm.

I rode L.A. to OKC in 2.5 days, I-40, kept up with traffic, warm enough that I was mostly riding in a t-shirt, thank you SPF-45.  That was a year and a half ago, if I hurt the bike it hasn't manifested yet.

Somebody else had mentioned you did this trek. It's good to know that everything is still fine after such a long haul. Guess I don't really need to be worried about keeping it at 70 after all...
One thing I did notice about long trips, every now and then it would stick... After cruising at 65, I would try to increase speed to make up any difference between me and the rest of the group and the engine would lag. I would have to give it gas a few times, trying to fix the problem, which I still don't know what it was. I cleaned the carb later and did a stage 2 rebuild kit, which I think helped because it only did that once on my next trip. Haven't had it out for any distance since then though. Looking forward to the summer and some cruises to Ocean City.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #16 - 01/18/09 at 10:40:33

LANCER wrote on 01/18/09 at 04:22:34:
If there is actually a limiter installed then the one on mine is inoperative.

Our '93-'94 engined Savage hits 'something' through 1st to 4th. I always thought it valve floated, when dynoed it did the same thing and went rich above 6500 rpm. Recently I've mailed with a guy whose 1992 Savage, fastest that I know of, hits the limiter at 162 kph (not 164 as I've said earlier in another thread) and goes rich until about 145 kph when it gets spark again so there's an ignition limiter. Your bike just revs above 7k without stuttering or anything?  

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 01/18/09 at 11:00:45

I've never felt a limiter in the Savage, and I've scared myself a couple of times revving up in lower gears,...Oops!....
Rode a Honda Shadow 750 a while back, and was hitting the limiter almost every shift on hard acceleration....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #18 - 01/18/09 at 11:49:11

Serowbot wrote on 01/18/09 at 11:00:45:
I've never felt a limiter in the Savage, and I've scared myself a couple of times revving up in lower gears,...Oops!....
Rode a Honda Shadow 750 a while back, and was hitting the limiter almost every shift on hard acceleration....

I don't find the limiter accidentally (or nowadays intentionally) as it happens far beyond power peak and needs a bit of effort. After buying the bike I assumed all bikes with pointless ignitions have rev limiters so I just kept it wide open in lower gears to find one Smiley
But there's no other explanation for the mate's bike's top speed behavior than a limiter cutting a spark for a moment. 

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 01/18/09 at 12:27:23

That makes sence.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #20 - 01/18/09 at 13:19:10

this is all i've got to add,  i got a ticket for doing 80, on my way to pay a ticket for going 80.  nufff said...

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #21 - 01/18/09 at 13:23:06

Well I do know a few of us last summer ran up I40 doing 80+...and still had throttle to spare....didn't we OF and Ed.L?  Lancer doesn't count because he was on that H_D thingy.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 01/18/09 at 14:37:52

87 Savage Bobber, if you dial on the beans & nothing happens, either a vacuum issue or a stuck slide. The description of the problem says stuck slide. Its like handling a halogen light bulb, fingerprints are not good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #23 - 01/18/09 at 17:20:40

i get slide problems a times... i once completed a nine car pass only to have the slide stick.  bike slowed to about 25. thay all smirked when them passed me b ack..   i yanked the carb. cleaned it up and was on my way.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 01/18/09 at 17:47:53

ISV og LS wrote on 01/18/09 at 10:40:33:
LANCER wrote on 01/18/09 at 04:22:34:
If there is actually a limiter installed then the one on mine is inoperative.

Our '93-'94 engined Savage hits 'something' through 1st to 4th. I always thought it valve floated, when dynoed it did the same thing and went rich above 6500 rpm. Recently I've mailed with a guy whose 1992 Savage, fastest that I know of, hits the limiter at 162 kph (not 164 as I've said earlier in another thread) and goes rich until about 145 kph when it gets spark again so there's an ignition limiter. Your bike just revs above 7k without stuttering or anything?  

I have noticed no sputtering at all in the higher rev's.  Besides the very high spurts mentioned I have been in the 6500-7000 range several times, and all was well and smooth.  

There was no point in continuing going that high though because there was no power benefit and the risk of engine stress.  The midrange grind of the original performance cam runs strong up to its peak at about 5500 and then the power increase slows until 6500.  After that there is no gain.  I find the best time/speed performance when shifting as the tach swings past 5500, which makes the actual shift from one gear to another at about 5700-5800 rpm.  The 4500-5500 range is the sweet spot.
The newer and slightly higher performance cam grind bumps the power range up slightly; 500-1000 rpm.

IP Logged
87SavageBobber
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 01/18/09 at 17:52:18

Haha... I would have given you that same stupid smirk... That's funny though. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I'm hoping it's fixed now. I haven't had it out for a good test run since then. I did take it out the other day just to make sure it still ran and everything. If tomorrow is nice (which I don't think it's going to be) I might go for a ride. We'll see what happens. I think it's supposed to snow though.

IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #26 - 01/23/09 at 08:24:00

Southpaw wrote on 01/17/09 at 11:25:54:
 The one thing he cautioned me about was driving more than 45 minutes to an hour in the 70 to 80+ MHP range in summer. He said he really didn't think the bike was designed for it, due to the air cooled engine and the way the powerband etc. was designed. . . . It's the first time I've heard this concern voiced, and I'm curious about your thoughts.

From my point of view asking this question is just a case of, as Dirty Harry used to say, " A man's got to know his limitations..."    Huh

I drove mine all summer long on 2-4 hour trips at 65-75 running synthetic oil and never had any problems.  You'll get numbbutt before the engine has trouble.  The only time the engine got really hot was on a trip where after two-hours at 70mph I got stuck in the city's bumper to bumper traffice, power-walking the poor beast for 45 minutes.  I thought my jeans were going to catch fire from the heat.  

My $.02.

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #27 - 01/23/09 at 09:20:08

I bought my 2000 used with 9k miles on it. It now has two long haul seasons and this last summer where I didn't go anywhere to speak of. I've run two 4k+ mile round trips to Miami, FL from southern MN in August and one 25k+ mile trek to and from SC from same. These were done where the temps got up around a hundred degrees. And a few of those days were over 600 miles.

I ran interstate a lot due to time limitations and was often sitting at 70-75 mph with bumps up to pass. The bike was loaded with me (180 #) and at least another 80-100 lbs of gear hanging on the bike. I run synthetic oils for the most part, often changing the filter once between oil changes. Never had a bit of over heating problems as far as I could tell, even in hour long rush hour sessions going past that big arch there somewhere in mid-America.

I've had the side off the engine and, aside from the usual cam chain stretch I've seen no ill effects from racking up the high speed miles. The inside of the motor looks as clean as the ones you guys take pictures of. My experiences tell me that if you want to run the bike, run the bike. But then what do I know. I'm a trumpet player.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 06:46:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about 70-80 MPH on a Savage consistently?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.