Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Has anyone tried knobby tires on the Savage? (Read 458 times)
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Has anyone tried knobby tires on the Savage?
01/16/09 at 12:36:54

I hope you don't all think I've gone mad(der).  As you may know, I dearly love my Savage and have been commuting since July (until the last two snowy, icy weeks).  I am also interested in trail riding - nothing too extreme, just dirt trails and gravel roads, through the woods, and so on - no climbing up sheer cliffs.  

So, it occurred to me - has anyone ever tried this with their Savage?  I wondered particularly if anyone had tried knobbies on these bikes.

If this is a nutty idea, I know you will let me know. Cool

Best wishes and ride safe,
Amy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Has anyone tried knobby tires on the Savage?
Reply #1 - 01/16/09 at 12:39:45

You probably won't find knobbies for a 15" rim.

I've been looking for dual sport and the smallest is 16"

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 01/16/09 at 14:35:12

ditto.  not a nutty idea.  Have even considered lacing up a 16" rim on the rear (I have a spare rear wheel!)

WWW   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/16/09 at 17:30:37

My project for the winter is to 'supemoto' my 07 out a little. going to put on longer shocks, a high front fender, hand guards and see how it looks.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 01/16/09 at 17:50:25

A couple of thoughts, for what they are worth:

The Savage/S40 doesn't have an awful lot of ground clearance, so you might want to be cautious on rough terrain.

The "feet forward" riding position makes it more difficult to stand up on the pegs to help absorb bumps. This is characteristic of cruisers. Trouble is, the typically short suspension travel of cruisers makes that ability to stand up more desirable at the same time the seating position makes it more difficult.

It the terrain includes roads or paths with rocks on them, it might be possible for one of those rocks to get into the belt and be carried to the rear pulley, where belt damage might ensue.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #5 - 01/16/09 at 18:05:18

I have taken mine off road. Nothing too severe, but the weight makes it manageable. Again, I don't ride like I used to, and extreme stuff is definitely out. But easing down a trail is not hard on a Savage!

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #6 - 01/16/09 at 18:06:45

i have had mine off road, on a logging road and it didn't do too bad. i even have forward controls. i got rid of the belt awhile ago. i rode alot of dirtbikes in my youth (and some streetbikes with dirt tires Shocked) so experience never hurts.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #7 - 01/16/09 at 19:48:56

Back in the '70's I had a '72 Pinto, snazzy special edition red white and blue.  Had wide four spoke wheels, white enamel centers, chrome rims, sporting BR70-13 Bridgestone street tires.  Twin CB whips off the rear corners.  Took it through what is now the Hungry Valley Off Road Recreation Area, across a creek and up a jeep trail climbing a mountain.  Got the strangest looks from the dirt bikers and jeep drivers.  Several miles in I asked one of the bikers if the road went through -- he said no.  YUK!!  Make a u-turn and go on back down.  About 10 years or so ago we were camping around Great Basin Nat. Momument, went for a drive, ended up going down a road marked "high clearance vehicles only" in a '78 Ford LTD.

Just 'cause we haven't got the ground clearance of a dirt bike doesn't mean we can't put on dirt tires and go playing.  All you have to do is make sure you avoid high centering.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/16/09 at 22:55:37

I don't know how off road you want to go, but I've done a little dirt roadin' and the only parts that worried me were deep sand.  A dual sport tire up front might be all I need.

One thing they all told me is watch your belt.  I can pick up rocks.  And it they're big enough will push thru the belt.

WWW   IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #9 - 01/17/09 at 02:49:44

Rocks? Whatcha talkin bout Willis
...little rocks get stuck in the where now!?  
...What, who, huh?! hello.

Yup, I know ALL about that.   Cheesy

Band is fine 5,000mi later, I'll keep you
posted IF it snaps, but I doubt it.

Look: "nasty" got new shoes!

« Last Edit: 01/18/09 at 00:44:53 by Stimpy - FSO »  

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/17/09 at 03:08:28

So this is very encouraging.  We had in mind just dirt trails, gravel roads, fields, and trails in the woods.  We live in the country and there are lots of places like this.  No going off of cliffs and down goat paths on the sides of mountains, which does look like a lot of fun, but is probably unwise given our lack of experience and the ground clearance on the Savage.

I've ridden around in the beanfield in the back, and Thump did fine, but he does slip a little in the grass.  This is why I was thinking about the knobbies.

Can a 16" rim be put on our bikes?

Stimpy - what tire is that?  

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 01/17/09 at 05:23:49

When I put 12.5" Progressive shocks on the back of mine it jacked it up noticeably, improving ground clearance.
I have seen tires in ad's with a block-type tread, made for vintage bikes, that might do well for dirt roads.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #12 - 01/17/09 at 05:36:07

firetruckredbike wrote on 01/17/09 at 03:08:28:
...I've ridden around in the beanfield in the back, and Thump did fine, but he does slip a little in the grass. ... 
Grass is flat, slick, nothing for a tire to grab.  For grass you either pussyfoot or you get a tire with long spikes.  Sort of like what is on the bottoms of golfing shoes.  (Golfers walk on grass a lot, and their shoes are designed to not slip on grass.)  

WWW   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/17/09 at 05:54:03

Lancer; when you put on the 12.5" rears; did it force the seat to slant to far forward? I've put spacers on the front of my seat and it made a big difference. Now I'm worried longer shocks will negate that benefit too much.
The extra ground clearance should work great for gravel roads and dirt path now and then. I'm not doing this to my bike to ride in the dirt. I've got a YZ250 for that. But it seems you can do almost anything to a Savage/S40 so I thought I'd give this a try. In my minds eye, it looks as good as a BMW, weighs half as much, cost a third of what a BMW does and there won't be a dozen of them looking exactly the same every square mile.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 01/17/09 at 18:26:32

mine has 12.5" Intruder shocks and a 2" lift on the front of the seat...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:29:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Has anyone tried knobby tires on the Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.