Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Dealer Trying to Talk Me Out of a SAVAGE!! HELP!!! (Read 967 times)
Kevininsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dealer Trying to Talk Me Out of a SAVAGE!! HELP!!!
01/16/09 at 11:45:07

Greetings Everyone!!   I need some advice/comments regarding comments made to me on my recent visit to another one of my local dealers for the first time.   I went in to again check out the 2009 S40s', but they didn't have any on the showroom floor.  They also didn't have any S50s'.   So, I decided to compare the Honda Rebel 250s' just for the heck of it (a little too small, I think, but nice).  I'm about 5'9", 180lbs.   I am not a total beginner, even though I do not have that many miles under my belt (1000).  My first bike was a Kawasaki Concours, my second a Honda Silverwing Scooter.  I am in my mid 50s and want something that is dependable; not too big/heavy; and easy to work on; and more power than a 250.

The salesman then started to try to talk me out of the Savage, saying that if you are going to do any interstate riding (above 65mph) for any length of time (other than a couple of exits) then the Savage is definately not the bike!!!  He and a sales manager both started showing me other bikes to sit on like a Honda Aero and other larger cruisers they had on the floor.  

I mentioned to them both (after sitting on various larger cruisers), that I really didn't want a 525lb bike, but did in fact want to occassionally go on the interstate (around 1 to 2 hours) @ 70/75 mph.  They again started in with "it will buzz like crazy!"; it will get blown around!; it will be scary!; it will be dangerous!; your hands will get numb; and, it just won't be any fun!!!!

They also said the I might as well just get a Honda Rebel 250, since they all will be about the same interstate riding experience, unless I get a larger/heavier cruiser!

Now here's the problem--- I have been reading this forum for some time now and most of what I understand, is==== the S40/Savage should not have any problem with interstate higher speed riding for a couple of hours.   I do understand that a heaver bike would be more comfortable, but, and as I said to the salesman, " I don't want another heavy bike".  The other bike I might be interested in would be the S50, but I have never sat on one-yet!

In summary- I gave him my phone number and told him to call me when they get the S40/S50s in the showroom.   He also said, as I was leaving, that they are getting in a 1100 cruiser (in trade) and he would call me to let me know when it comes in.  Still trying to get me into a larger bike!!!!!

I have sat on the S40 at another dealer a month or so ago and it just seems so nice to me.   I also really like the fact that the S40 is so simple and I would very much like to do all my own maintenance.  The other thing that I like about the S40 is the position of my feet vs. the only other cruiser that wasn't too heavy (Kawasaki 500).  But on the Kawi, my feet are too far forward, which I don't care for.

So-- are they just trying to sell me a more expensive new/used larger cruiser or do their comments really have any merit?

Comments/suggestions???  

Thanks
Kevin

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Dealer Trying to Talk Me Out of a SAVAGE!! HEL
Reply #1 - 01/16/09 at 12:11:48

stick to you guns. buy the savage.  walk in ask for the owner tell him what you want. if he won't help go else where.  

don't be pushed into buying something you dont want/need . it's your cash..  remind them of that.

they don't like the savage because they don't sell any accessories, and most people work on them their selfs do to the simplicity.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 01/16/09 at 12:14:40

Agree with Sluggo, the sales idiot doesn't have your interest at heart, only his own. Let him know that you will indeed walk if he can't help you with an S40.

FSO
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/16/09 at 12:23:51

If memory serves, some people on this site converted to chain drive and then changed sprocket ratios to provide a higher top end.  You might want to post that question and see what responses you get.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 01/16/09 at 12:34:02

You may have read some of the stuff I've put up here in the past. The Sav is/was my first bike ever. I've had it going into three years now and, even though I have nothing to compare it to, I like it bunches.

As far as highway riding goes I've done a few multi-thousand mile trips on it. And yes, you run it at 65+ mph and the vibration gets to be pretty pronounced, that's the nature of a one lunger. However, you do the seat mods suggested on here, maybe even change to a more comfortable seat and your comfort level goes way up. Maybe a gel pad as well if you're feeling adventurous, but try it before you buy it. Then either pad your pegs or get floorboards with thick cushies on them and the vibration issue gets better than bearable.

You do these few things and your only complaint should be that you can't go enough miles before you need to fill up again. And there's solutions to that too.

As a side note, do you feel you have to get a new one. There's used, low mileage 650's out there. Look around. I got mine from a used bike/ boneyard. I too went looking for a Rebel and got this one for the same money. The only thing I might have done differently would be if there had been a 450 Rebel available at the time. It would be a smoother ride and almost the same git-up-and-go.

Jack

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 01/16/09 at 12:34:33

It's not a highway bike, if that's what you're looking for.  But it'll do highway if you want it too.  If that's just a occasional thing,... buy the bike.
A savage is three times a Rebel.  More equal to a Sportster, or 650 V-Star... they aren't great highway bikes either, but they'll do it.  In the 60's the Savage would have been considered a big bike.  Only thing that's changed is the size of our ego's...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/16/09 at 12:34:50

I was w/o a bike for over 20 years & got an 05 S40. It was the right size, weight & had enough OOOmph to get out of the way. Acceleration is a defense in some cases. A 250 Honda is too close to the weight of the Savage & not enough power. The 650 will run the highways at 70 MPH all day. Its not as comfy as a heavier bike, the seat hurts some people, others, no big deal. If its not good enough, it'll swap out. If you need it to have a bit more power, thats easy enough to manage.
Beat Duck took his from Florida, out West to Areizona, up to Canada & then East, dropped down thru New York & went home. It WILL do it.
Is there a better bike for your needs? maybe. One I would consider ( I am buying one from a guy up North, Hutch. He hangs out here some. He has owned a bunch of bikes, I think around 30, & has 2 Kawasaki W 650's.) They are a little heavier, a parallel twin, pumpin a biti more HP & with a top speed of just over 100 MPH IIRC. When I got antsy & wanted a different bike, I bought a Moto-Guzzi Nevada 750. The performance figures/MPG, were what sold me. It didnt deliver the MPG I wanted & expected. The K-W650 delivers more MPG than MY Suzuki 650. Others have not jetted & changed exhaust & swapped the cam. I get more fun & spend more per mile. The Suzuki 650 will do what you want to do. I think your needs would also be met by the W 650.If I had known about them, I wouldnt have got that Guzzi.Also, the Kawa has no cam chain, its a bevel gear drive. The valves are adjusted by shims. It has a taller seat & standard riding position, with feet down instead of out front. Less rake on the front, too. No longer imported, so used is all thats available. I like the look, very 60's Brit Bike looking & they have a good reliability record.
I really enjoy my Suzuki & appreciate it for its design & simplicity. If you get one, you will have a good bike. It is quick & nimble & will get a guy across town with a grin on his face. It will take you down the road 200 miles without drama. It will DO what ya need. Ive seen one with 90+ thousand miles on it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 01/16/09 at 12:36:26

1st He can't sell what he don't have.
2nd I ride daily, averaging 70 for a half hour.
3rd I've riden an hour at 70, then up a hill for another 1/2 hour.
The only trouble I had was monkey but and where to fill up.
The stock bars have weights welded in them to damp out the buzz.
I don't have stock bars.

And if he thinks a 250 has the same kick in the but accelleration...
well, he can't sell what doesn't have.  

So is he serving you? or himself?

Just tell 'em, 'no thanks, got a line on a sportster to check out'.
That ought to piss'em off.

BTW, good bargaining technique, 'what do you mean you don't got yeller? Had my heart set on that color'.  Of course make sure he don't have that color.

WWW   IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #8 - 01/16/09 at 12:42:33

I rode with two other guys that had a V-Star 650 and a Honda Shadow 750, and due to the weight and handling of the Savage, I was always the one leading the pack. Bottom line is that it is a great all around bike.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 01/16/09 at 12:47:10

I've cruised with an M109R 1800 cc, a Vstar 650, and several other big twins. My Savage always keeps up with them and even impresses the others with it's power and agility (even with my mods). This bike WILL do what you are wanting with no trouble at all.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Kevininsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/16/09 at 13:08:08

Very Good Comments- Thanks!!!

BTW Jack 650-  I do understand about getting floorboards (that and a windshield; bags are the first things I would do--But you mentioned that some people have done something that would make the S40/savages to get more miles before fill-ups?   Are you talking about a bigger tank???   That is something else I would be greatly interested in-if that is what you are talking about.  
What tank has people put on their savages/S40s? and, are there any pictures of such a beast??  I would love to see what a larger tank would look like.
Thanks and keep the comments coming!!
Kevin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 01/16/09 at 13:32:11

I just tried to add another reply, with part of an ad for a 650 Triumph. I got warned it was spam & 2 more & I am banned! Crappola..

Anyway, back in the 60's there were 650's out there that would run 100MPH+. The HP/CC was higher. I believe the reason the 650-800 CC class fails to deliver the HP now is so the Big Bikes will sell. If they build a small bike that satisfies the needs of the majority, sales on the Monsters will fall off & their profit margin will suffer.
My opinion, may be off by miles.
Ill try this one more time, just a link instead of a copy & paste of text.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1965-triumph-t120-bonneville.htm

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 01/16/09 at 13:44:58

Someone told me marketing and engineering always work to the same goal and that economics doesn't influence the end product.

yeah right, it was the epa that did it.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 01/16/09 at 14:28:41

Kevininsc wrote on 01/16/09 at 11:45:07:
.... I am in my mid 50s and want something that is dependable; not too big/heavy; and easy to work on; and more power than a 250.

The salesman then started to try to talk me out of the Savage, saying that if you are going to do any interstate riding (above 65mph) for any length of time (other than a couple of exits) then the Savage is definately not the bike!!!  ...

I mentioned to them both (after sitting on various larger cruisers), that I really didn't want a 525lb bike, but did in fact want to occassionally go on the interstate (around 1 to 2 hours) @ 70/75 mph.  They again started in with "it will buzz like crazy!"; it will get blown around!; it will be scary!; it will be dangerous!; your hands will get numb; and, it just won't be any fun!!!!

I was late '50's when I got back into biking.  I am NOT about to try to muscle 500+ pounds of motorcycle around.  400 pounds absolute tops for a street bike.  I was on rec.motorcycles and no one could come up with anything to match the Savage.

Like you, my local dealer didn't have any and bad-mouthed it...  vibrates, leaks oil.  (ummmm  it's a THUMPER!  It is supposed to vibrate.  Leaking oil would be a pitiful service department.)  I got a used Savage.  That was four+ years 20,000+ miles ago.  When I started riding it I was rather disappointed in the LACK of vibration.  Suzuki has really engineered the counterbalancer.   As I remember, my '8? GS450E Twin was far buzzier.

High speed for more than a couple of exits?  Hello?  Can we say Los Angeles Freeways?  I ran the Harbor Freeway from the 91 south to the end, mostly 75-80, got up to about 85 but that was where my eyeballs started vibrating, but more from the pavement than the motor.

I wondered about my endurance, so one Friday I get off work, go home and take a nap, leave Gardena about 9 pm, run out to Yucca Valley, gas up, take a lazy putt across Joshua Tree National Park (they don't charge admission after midnight!) under a full moon.  Have breakfast in a Denny's, head home pushing HEAVY headwinds, hit some pea soup fog and pulled off for a while and ran on the road beside the freeway, mostly, only got a little bit lost.  Eventually made it back home, 'bout 7 am.  350 miles.  And I wasn't tired!  To me it is rather fascinating that where I would get bone tired driving, I was was remaining alert on the bike.

Did it again, with a National Cycle Street Shield, which defeated those headwinds on the I-10.  Me and the Bike did fine.

So I rode the bike to the GEEIA Reunion.  L.A. to Holbrook AZ the first day (570 miles) then to Amarillo the second day (510 miles).  I did not get blown around, that I noticed.  It was not at all scary.  A WHOLE BUNCH safer than the streets of Los Angeles.  My hands did not get numb -- without gloves for much of the time.  It was so much fun I'll be riding to San Antonio for this year's reunion, or maybe out to Arkansas to see #1 daughter, or both, no firm plans yet.

I will admit that my butt and feet got sore enough that I cut back to 300 mile days on the return to L.A..  But I have a springer saddle now, and will be looking at installing floorboards before August.

I'm looking for range extenders.  I have a 1 gallon gas can that fits in a saddlebag, so I can carry a 60 mile emergency range extender if I so wish.  I'm working on tallering a stock tank, to make it 4 to 4.5 gallons.  But that would be more a convience matter.  With the Internet I can plot out gas stations ahead of time and plan accordingly.  If you are on the Interstate system you can fuel up at 24 hour truck stops, and get a good meal to boot.  Or use the AAA TripTiK on-line trip planner which will plot out nearly every gas station in America.

WWW   IP Logged
Kevininsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/16/09 at 14:57:38

Thanks Paladin:  I remember the TV show "Have Gun Will Travel".  I think I saw a pic of you and you really do look like him.  
Anyway, I guess you and I think alike-don't need/want a 500+ bike to push around.  The Savage/S40 just felt right after I sat on one.  Although, I wouldn't have minded it being a little bit heaver (maybe 50lbs).  
I guess I will either find a good used one, or try to make a deal with the first dealership that I went to.   I'm glad to hear that you actually do some serious miles/touring on the S40 when necessary.   This bike might just be what the doctor ordered!
Kevin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:22:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dealer Trying to Talk Me Out of a SAVAGE!! HELP!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.