Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Dealer Trying to Talk Me Out of a SAVAGE!! HELP!!! (Read 967 times)
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Dealer Trying to Talk Me Out of a SAVAGE!! HEL
Reply #30 - 01/17/09 at 04:08:26

i ride a suzuki dr650, my neighbor has the ls650. i have not spent any time riding the the ls650 but i have done some wrenching on the machine. besides the style issue both are about the same in weight and hp. my dr650 has the the factory lower job and at 5'10" i have no issues getting on and off and standing flat foot at lights etc. between the two i think the dr is more adjustable for riding styles as you can make a decent dirt or road machine. if you are stuck on the cruiser style then for sure go with the ls650. i to vote for the 400ib machine or under.

« Last Edit: 01/17/09 at 06:20:09 by dr1445 »  
  IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #31 - 01/17/09 at 04:25:07

I bought an '06 Savage with 76 miles on it for $2900. I was a returning rider after 20 years. Wanted something simple, easy to work on, and easy to handle. I found it with the Savage. I commute appx 30 minutes (mostly freeway) each way in Memphis TN at 65-70 mph with ease. I did go to bigger tires when the time came and it has made a huge difference in stability. The larger diameter rear tire dropped the RPMs just enough to put the sweet spot at around 70 mph. I have not had any real road trips as of yet but they are planned for this year. By the way I am 6 ft and 250 lbs and almost eligible for the senior coffee at Micky Dee's. The Savage is a blast. If I ever retire for real and make regular real road trips a larger bike might be in order. For right now, 'Suzi' is all I need or want.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #32 - 01/17/09 at 15:44:57

My $.02...

I've had a Honda Rebel.  I have a Suzuki Savage.  I have a Honda Shadow 1100.  I have a friend with a Honda 750 ACE and another with Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic, both have let me ride.  All but the Rebel are fun to ride almost anywhere, City, Country, Mountain, Freeway.

My Savage can outrun both the Honda 750 & Yamaha 650 in the twisties and mountains.  All three feel like they are winding out on the freeway.  The Savage is easy in town where the other 2 are ok.  The shadow 1100 isn't very fun in town or in slow twisties.  But is great out in the open or freeway.  Only the 1100 is really a 2-up bike.

The best all around bike of them is still the Savage.  Not the "prettiest" of the bikes with the least of the chrome accessories, but definitely a great bike that will go pretty much anywhere you want it to.

(Views expressed are the opinions of the commenter, and not necessarily those of anyone else...unless they agree...in which case they are the same views...unless they are different, of course.)

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #33 - 01/18/09 at 17:51:59

I'm 55 years old , have had a lot of different bikes, could have bought any bike on the market last time.... but there just isn't anything better than the SAVAGE-S40 going.

I've got 32,000+ miles on mine and have not had a complaint with it.

It will keep up with the gang and not wear you or your wallet out while doing it .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #34 - 01/18/09 at 19:10:21

Bang for the  buck, I don't think. You can find a better bike!! Wink

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #35 - 01/18/09 at 19:13:37

Previous post should read:
Bang for the buck, I don't think you could find a better bike.

Sorry; mumble fingers

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #36 - 01/18/09 at 19:21:04

Haha thanks for the laugh skidmark, that was cool. Just a little change in punctuation and everything is screwed up lol

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #37 - 01/18/09 at 19:25:22

Before the LS650, I had the pre-cursor to the Rebel, an '82 CM250C "Custom" (1st year for the engine).   There is a world of difference between the Honda Twinstar 250 engine and the Suzuki LS650 Thumper engine.   Twenty something HP verse 30 something HP respectively.   Torque... the LS650 wins by what feels like tons, the 250 had to be shifted all the time to keep it in the higher RPM range where the power was.

Me 5'10" , 210 lbs and just hit 50 last month ..... and the LS650/S40 moves me down the road just fine.  Here on the east side of PA, it will do the speed limit plus 5 or 10 on ANY road.  

Why do I have a LS650,.....  I like the looks, the simplicity, and I got it cheap. Beautiful '01 for $500 with engine in pieces.

Would I sell it for a bigger bike.... well..... I sat on my nieghbors HD Fatboy and thought it was a boat.  Sat on the other neighbors Honda 750 Aero, it was also a boat, Rode my friends '03 Honda 750 Shadow Spirit and thought the tank was fat.   Sat on my friends HD Dyna Wide-Gluide... not bad..... I ask, "How much did you pay" ..... he says $20K  Shocked  .... cough cough cough.....   did I tell you I like the looks , the simplicity and price of the Savage.....  what I didn't tell you is that I also like other toys, so a $20K bike is way out of the question.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #38 - 01/19/09 at 06:59:41

The dealer that I went to had both the S40 and S50 sitting in their showroom... And what they didn't have at the dealers, they had in their storage facility. I wanted the blue S40, they had it to the store in 20~ minutes.

I'd suggest finding another dealer.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #39 - 01/19/09 at 22:31:50

like i said, it's your cash. get what you want period...    

do make it a savage.....   nowhrere else can you can a support group like this one.  

peas
owt
sluggo

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 01/19/09 at 23:22:23

the Rebel250 forum is just as good honestly (I started on a Reb250) but the bike....nah. Considering Price, Maint Price, Power, Utility, Gas Mileage, Versatility, Reliability, Fun Factor, and Support there is IMO NO bike that matches the Savage/S40. Even if you eventually get something bigger you cannot go wrong with a savage.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #41 - 01/20/09 at 00:24:12

MMRanch wrote on 01/18/09 at 17:51:59:
I'm 55 years old , have had a lot of different bikes, could have bought any bike on the market last time.... but there just isn't anything better than the SAVAGE-S40 going.

I've got 32,000+ miles on mine and have not had a complaint with it.

It will keep up with the gang and not wear you or your wallet out while doing it .

that's story also.   go for it dude

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #42 - 03/05/09 at 06:23:01

I didnt read this whole thread (Mostly just searching for floor board info) but I went to my dealer the other day to to look at an S40 so I had an idea if it was worth the drive to Meriden to buy the LS650.

I didnt tell the dealer that of course, just that I wanted to look at his S40's.  He had none on the showroom floor and immediately tried to talk me into a bigger bike (Which honestly I would have bough if I had the money lol).  He said the S40 vibrated to much.  Was to small, etc.

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #43 - 03/05/09 at 11:29:11

My parents had a Ford Pinto when I was a kid.  Would you consider that a "highway" car? It took us all over the country just fine.  It's all relative.  To the over 35 crowd who grew up with few bikes over 750cc and rode cross country on everything from 250-500cc bikes that actually had excessive vibration, the S40 is a good sized bike that can do pretty much anything you want it to.  To the under 35 crowd who grew up with 1 to 2 liter bikes with ABS, bulbous bodywork and bikes weighing 4 times what the rider weighs, the bike appears small and poorly suited to some situations.  For me, I've never had a bike over 100mph for more than a minute so I don't need a triple digit top speed. I've rarely had a passenger on any of my bikes and when I did it was never for more than 20 miles.  So I don't need exquisite passenger accommodations.  I've never kept a bike more than 3-4 years due to selling and getting a different bike so I don't need a high $$$ payoff.  Hmmm.... the S40 seems just right for me.  

Again,  it''s all relative.

IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #44 - 03/05/09 at 12:33:07

The LS has no viberations to bother about ,after all the other big singles I had it's like sitting on a bed of feathers I had a 600 panther sloper that had such a long stroke that it leaped from one streetlight to the other every time it fired, and if you got the decompression leaver on the handlebar wrong when starting the kick start would throw you up in the air if you were lucky, most times your foot would slip off, and the kick would rearrange the skin up the inside of your leg, Iv'e still got the scars. The B.s.a B33 would leave your fingers numb and white after an hour riding and the M20 would leave your backside feeling as if somebody had been kicking it all day, The LS is a good all round bike for one to love and cherish, or hammer down a motorway, or to take apart and put together again with all kinds of different bits, or just to polish it and have it standing out side your house preferably by a window where you can easily look out and admire it every so often
                    IT'S A GREAT BIKE Smiley Smiley Smiley

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:22:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dealer Trying to Talk Me Out of a SAVAGE!! HELP!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.