Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Dealer Trying to Talk Me Out of a SAVAGE!! HELP!!! (Read 967 times)
SavRon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Re: Dealer Trying to Talk Me Out of a SAVAGE!! HEL
Reply #15 - 01/16/09 at 15:07:31

I think for the Price, Performance, Power and Pleasure, the Savage will be hard to beat. A great all around bike that can cover it all.
  If that Dealership won't, or isn't interested in selling you a Savage,,, then find another one.

IP Logged
Kevininsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 01/16/09 at 15:19:06

Yes- I agree with you about value.  Although, I tend to farkle the heck out of bikes after I get them.  The only thing negative about the smaller bikes is that they tend not to have very much electrical power left in the bank for lights, heated garments, etc.  But, I will adapt now that I live in a somewhat warmer climate.
I'm going to try to first locate a good/low mileage used one.  If I purchase now I only can afford about $2500 total with taxes and all.  If I wait until the summer, I might be able to purchase new!  I really like those new two-tone colors!! Smiley

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 01/16/09 at 15:59:48

Kevin most people on here haven't had a bigger motorcycle.Its really a back road motorcycle Not really good for freeways at all. Front ends to light,you have to change the shocks,stock ones way to stiff,turns to many rpms at cruising speed.Been riding steady since 1972 and have had a lot of different motorcycles I also have a Suzuki LC 1500.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #18 - 01/16/09 at 16:14:55

I did a bigger (5 gal.) Harley soft tail to replace the stock tank. Before that I had already gotten a 4 gallon tour tank that I bolted on the back. Now I run with them both. I get a good solid 400+ miles per fill-up.

I disagree with those who say it's not a good road bike. I have the NationalCycle fairing type windshield which makes it nice at speed on the highway. I did a 3K mile trip with a smaller windshield and never again.

As I said before, I've nothing to compare it to but, I pass the big trucks and they pass me and I've never felt any squirrliness from the wind. The only time I've felt the need to get off the road was in a big, bad storm with cross winds of 60+ mph. I was literally moved from one lane into the other. I parked until that one passed over.

Here's a few pix of the bike with both tanks, windshield and trailer hitch. I've also, since these were taken, moved over to the darkside and have a nice all-weather auto radial on the back.

Oh yeah, I also have a pair of Harley 11 1/2" or so shocks on the back now. Gives a smoother ride and a lot more clearance for that tire on the back.

http://bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

Jack

IP Logged
TheCaliKid
YaBB Newbies

Hollywood, CA
Reply #19 - 01/16/09 at 17:07:05

I was in the same position, newer rider with research leading me to the Savage. I could not find one @ dealer (Late in the summer), but picked up an 07 S40 used for $2700 w/ 2700 miles on it.
Since it is commonly purchased by new riders, and they don't always use them much, a used low mileage Savage is a good buy. Also, if you find it's not for you, resell it.
I personally love the bike. Yeah, it is not a 1200 touring bike, but if you're riding on city & country roads, & on the freeway it's a great ride.

IP Logged
Kevininsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 01/16/09 at 18:04:25

Jack 650== Let me commend you on your nice looking 5gal tank!!  It looks like it belongs on the savage.

I wonder if you could just cut a hole in the tank and insert the original speedometer in it?  Then, you wouldn't have to relocate it on the bars (even though it is much easier to see there)

Kevin

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 01/16/09 at 18:06:54

Kevininsc wrote on 01/16/09 at 11:45:07:
Greetings Everyone!!   I need some advice/comments regarding comments made to me on my recent visit to another one of my local dealers for the first time.   I went in to again check out the 2009 S40s', but they didn't have any on the showroom floor.  They also didn't have any S50s'.   So, I decided to compare the Honda Rebel 250s' just for the heck of it (a little too small, I think, but nice).  I'm about 5'9", 180lbs.   I am not a total beginner, even though I do not have that many miles under my belt (1000).  My first bike was a Kawasaki Concours, my second a Honda Silverwing Scooter.  I am in my mid 50s and want something that is dependable; not too big/heavy; and easy to work on; and more power than a 250.

The salesman then started to try to talk me out of the Savage, saying that if you are going to do any interstate riding (above 65mph) for any length of time (other than a couple of exits) then the Savage is definately not the bike!!!  He and a sales manager both started showing me other bikes to sit on like a Honda Aero and other larger cruisers they had on the floor.  

I mentioned to them both (after sitting on various larger cruisers), that I really didn't want a 525lb bike, but did in fact want to occassionally go on the interstate (around 1 to 2 hours) @ 70/75 mph.  They again started in with "it will buzz like crazy!"; it will get blown around!; it will be scary!; it will be dangerous!; your hands will get numb; and, it just won't be any fun!!!!

They also said the I might as well just get a Honda Rebel 250, since they all will be about the same interstate riding experience, unless I get a larger/heavier cruiser!

Now here's the problem--- I have been reading this forum for some time now and most of what I understand, is==== the S40/Savage should not have any problem with interstate higher speed riding for a couple of hours.   I do understand that a heaver bike would be more comfortable, but, and as I said to the salesman, " I don't want another heavy bike".  The other bike I might be interested in would be the S50, but I have never sat on one-yet!

In summary- I gave him my phone number and told him to call me when they get the S40/S50s in the showroom.   He also said, as I was leaving, that they are getting in a 1100 cruiser (in trade) and he would call me to let me know when it comes in.  Still trying to get me into a larger bike!!!!!

I have sat on the S40 at another dealer a month or so ago and it just seems so nice to me.   I also really like the fact that the S40 is so simple and I would very much like to do all my own maintenance.  The other thing that I like about the S40 is the position of my feet vs. the only other cruiser that wasn't too heavy (Kawasaki 500).  But on the Kawi, my feet are too far forward, which I don't care for.

So-- are they just trying to sell me a more expensive new/used larger cruiser or do their comments really have any merit?

Comments/suggestions???  

Thanks
Kevin

I would be asking the salesmen/owner/whoever, after all the bad mouthing they did about the Savage/S40, if they have ever actually ridden one at all and if so did they do any more than just go around the block?   Chances are they have no real experience with the model.

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #22 - 01/16/09 at 18:41:58

Have owned and ridden an RT BMW and a full dress Harley FLHT.  There is no question that they are more comfortable on the freeway.  There is also no way that I would now trade my Savage for either of them.  On balance, the total riding experience on the Savage beats any bike that I have ever owned.

I would also like to make a suggestion.  It seems that everyone thinks that you have to go 75 on the freeway.  What is wrong with dong 65?  Over the years, I have logged a lot of cross country miles at 65.  I always seemed to get there fine.  I think that the speed emphasis is akin to the whole displacement/horse power obsession that we have developed. At this stage of my life, I like to enjoy the scenery when I ride.  That is a lot easier to do at a little slower speed.  Just a thought.

IP Logged
Kevininsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 01/16/09 at 18:59:28

Many years ago, I really wanted a BMW, and the RT was really what I thought I needed then!  But, it was too heavy for me.  It's nice to know that you like the S40 over those bikes.  That really says a lot.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #24 - 01/16/09 at 20:17:05

I have no problem on the freeway by my self or 2 up. I am just saddened that every time I have made plans for a longer rides something comes up and ruins my day.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #25 - 01/16/09 at 21:46:13

bill67 wrote on 01/16/09 at 15:59:48:
  Kevin most people on here haven't had a bigger motorcycle.Its really a back road motorcycle Not really good for freeways at all. Front ends to light,you have to change the shocks,stock ones way to stiff,turns to many rpms at cruising speed.Been riding steady since 1972 and have had a lot of different motorcycles I also have a Suzuki LC 1500.

i've been here along time and that is not true.  many have had larger machinces and are very happy with the savage.  i do freeway rinding all the time and have had no problems keep up.  till about 80 that is.  

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #26 - 01/16/09 at 22:46:40

Kevininsc wrote on 01/16/09 at 13:08:08:
Very Good Comments- Thanks!!!

BTW Jack 650-  I do understand about getting floorboards (that and a windshield; bags are the first things I would do--But you mentioned that some people have done something that would make the S40/savages to get more miles before fill-ups?   Are you talking about a bigger tank???   That is something else I would be greatly interested in-if that is what you are talking about.  
What tank has people put on their savages/S40s? and, are there any pictures of such a beast??  I would love to see what a larger tank would look like.
Thanks and keep the comments coming!!
Kevin

Road King tank on 2000 Savage (Before Girder front end installed)

After Girder front end installed

Jack_650 has a Softail tank on his.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #27 - 01/16/09 at 23:58:21

Kevininsc,
First, find another dealer; because he is either A. Lying to you, or B. Doesn't know what he's talking about. Either way, he has a serious credability issue, and that's not someone who deserves your money; at either purchase or service, if you get a used. (You should be doing your own maintenence anyway. This things a breeze to work on, and thais from a guy who's all thumbs when it comes to tools.)
I've owned everything from a 50cc Honda motorbike up to a Goldwing, with several sizes in between; including a couple of scooters. Of the lot, my favorites are the KLR 650, and the Savage. (incidentally, both one lungers)
I commute by interstate 30 miles each way, 4-5 days a week, at 65+mph, and the bike has never given me a lick of trouble. I made a 700 mile round trip at 70mph, and the bike was flawless. Yes there's vibration; but the Savage vibrates less than my KLR did. Yes, you can get a righteous case of monkey butt; but there are mods to lessen its severity.
For the price, the economy of maintenence and fuel, and the "smiles per gallon"; there is nothing that can beat a Savage.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #28 - 01/17/09 at 03:29:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/16/09 at 13:32:11:
Anyway, back in the 60's there were 650's out there that would run 100MPH+. The HP/CC was higher. I believe the reason the 650-800 CC class fails to deliver the HP now is so the Big Bikes will sell.

You are comparing current cruisers to 60's street bikes. Current street bikes have a bit better hp/cc than bikes 30 or 40 years ago.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #29 - 01/17/09 at 03:35:00

Kevininsc wrote on 01/16/09 at 13:08:08:
What tank has people put on their savages/S40s? and, are there any pictures of such a beast??  I would love to see what a larger tank would look like.
Thanks and keep the comments coming!!
Kevin

I've seen Savages with Kawasaki VN and Suzuki GR tanks. Also one with two original tanks 'cut and shut' to retain somewhat original look, pictured here.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:22:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dealer Trying to Talk Me Out of a SAVAGE!! HELP!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.