Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
2007 S40 not suitable for freeway commuting? (Read 694 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: 2007 S40 not suitable for freeway commuting?
Reply #15 - 01/09/09 at 20:27:43

thumperclone wrote on 01/09/09 at 19:17:34:
front brakes are a snap!!!
Flashback to 1971, needed front brake pads on my '67 Spitfire.  Went to an infamous store in O.C., waited about an hour and a half in line -- guy gave free advice with his parts and always had a line of customers.   He sold me the pads and said it was a snap, go away.  Take 'em home, jack up the front end, remove a wheel.  There's a safety thing, pull it, pull a pin, the pads fall out.  New pads won't go in 'cause the piston is out.  Shove piston in, place pads in, replace pin, safety pin.  HUH??  That was it?  And they charge MORE for disk brakes than drums??  The Savage is not much harder.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 01/09/09 at 20:30:56

When you get your brakes done at a shop they do more than just replace the pads/shoes.  They turn the disk/drum.  On a disk, they also repack the bearings.  That's why it's more expensive.

WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #17 - 01/09/09 at 20:58:08

Freeway commuting on a Savage? That's all I do! I run 30 miles each way at 65-70MPH. Never a whimper from the bike. As far as I can tell, it loves it! I've also run it at 70+ mph on a 700+ mile round trip to see my daughter. Ran like a top, gotr 55+ mpg, and used nary a drop of oil.
On the DIY stuff; I'm not much of a wrencher, but I've doen the oil change numerous times. Takes about 20 minutes. I've also done the front disk replacement, about 15 minutes. A few basic tools and this website are all you need for that. A Clymers wouldn't hurt. Dive on in. The water's fine!

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 01/09/09 at 21:11:32

I've done freeway and backroads. She was gotten me around just fine. I wasnt a wrencher until I bought a savage. The longest part of an oil change is waiting for the oil to drain lol.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 01/09/09 at 21:14:46

change the oil after a ride but make sure to wear gloves a long sleeve shirt and a hat when you actually loosen the oil bolt lest you burn yourself.

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #20 - 01/10/09 at 14:58:39

stumusic wrote on 01/09/09 at 13:06:28:
The shop called to report that they'd put the bike on their exhaust gas analyzer and it was severely lean on the idle jet and suggested I spent $90 to have them bore it open and adjust it a bit. Given the post suggesting at cruise we are primarily on the idle jet, maybe that's a good idea?

Thanks,

Stuart-

Another easy DIY project you should not be shelling out $90 for. Sounds like they are referring to boring out the brass plug over the idle mixture screw. If you have a cordless drill, a drywall screw and screwdrivers, you can do this job in about 10 minutes.

It's documented here  ->http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1221818822

The bike may cruise on the pilot jet, but you won't be doing highway speeds on the idle jet. Stock S40's are tuned to idle lean to meet EPA standards.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 01/10/09 at 15:31:17

I dont like handling a hot oil pan plug or having oil drip on me, so I get the plug loose & after its out far enough I wrap a piece of heavy string around it & use that to spin it out, just a piece about 18", one or 2 wraps & pull it tight & pull on the end that spins it out. No oil on me. I did the same thing on the Matrix last night.

* Edit, sure, the things gonna go in the drain pan, but thats no biggee, since I have a magnet I run thru oil when I drain it. I like to see whats floating around, so I check any oil I drain, car, bike, whatever.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #22 - 01/10/09 at 17:04:50

I agree with you all. DIY. As far as cruising, With a passenger I cruise 75 mph (5000 rpm), up hill, down hill, with a pack of Harley's till it's refueling time.  Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 01/12/09 at 09:36:36

DIY for sure. LS is very easy to maintain. And take it on any freeway you want. It's gonna be as fast as you are. I am really enjoying mine, never even look at the speedo Smiley Brrraaaaaap...

IP Logged
Roadrunner17
YaBB Newbies

We are men of
action.  Lies
do not become us.

VA Chesapeake
Reply #24 - 01/12/09 at 16:45:42

Take this from someone who self-describes as allergic to anything that begins with "Remove the seat..."

Changing the oil & filter takes me less than an hour (it includes chasing the filter cover bolts down the driveway several times).  Compare $15 or so to what the shop quoted you, with Mobil 1 or Castrol synthetic.

Believe it or not, changing the fronts was even easier than changing the oil.  I put on Vesrah Sintered Metal pads from Ronayers.com (about $50 including shipping).  Just a few bucks more than the OE quality but you'll love the durability.  I love the feeling of more control that they give, and they don't make nearly the noise that the OEs do.  I just couldn't believe how quick and easy it was.  But do read the directions in the owners manual or Clymer, it'll save you a lot of frustration and explain what others have said.

I had the dealer install sintered metal on the rears too--that I wouldn't attempt.  The tech there suggested that he recommends SM on the rears but not the front because of their durability.  I love having them on both.

Ive ridden my 06 on 30 mile (1 way) commutes several times without problems.  I would think twice about having to do it often and routinely, just for comfort issues.  I tend to keep pretty alert and busy on the superslab; idiots in cages come up pretty quickly and behave unpredictably.  I'd suggest you do to, not because of the bike but because I want you to be riding next year too.

I'm not so sure that I'd like being that on edge for that much of my time.  But if you're comfortable enough I wouldn't worry about their comments.  Even at freeway speeds I've always had plenty of throttle left when I needed it.

A heavier bike might be more comfortable on a trip that long and might be worth it to ya, but not necessarily.  I know I like a lighter more maneuverable machine like the S40 for the riding I do.  And don't mind at all taking it on the I's, at least occasionally.

A lot of folks here are happy with the rejetting.  Mine is stock and I plan to keep it that way.  I don't mind it being a bit lean, after a few thousand miles the backfire almost never occurs (might have something to do with my riding learning-curve).  And I like the better gas milage the leaner mix gives me.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 01/13/09 at 11:23:38

This seems to be one sided fight, the DIY'ers vs. the lazy @$$ed b@$$tards/GotBucks.

Only the lazy @$$ed b@$$tards didn't show.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 01/13/09 at 11:53:28

we win then, right?

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #27 - 01/13/09 at 20:01:53

verslagen1 wrote on 01/13/09 at 11:23:38:
This seems to be one sided fight, the DIY'ers vs. the lazy @$$ed b@$$tards/GotBucks.

Only the lazy @$$ed b@$$tards didn't show.

lazy @$$ed b@$$tards don't read tech posts, so how would they know about this thread?   Grin

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
RocksimusMaximus
2005 No Login

Reply #28 - 01/13/09 at 20:15:45

I've got 17,500 miles on mine. Well over half of them are from commuting to work on Los Angeles freeways. She'll do just fine.

If you can set up a DVD player... you can do the basic maintenance required for the s40. .

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #29 - 01/14/09 at 10:53:49

RocksimusMaximus wrote on 01/13/09 at 20:15:45:
I've got 17,500 miles on mine. Well over half of them are from commuting to work on Los Angeles freeways. She'll do just fine.

If you can set up a DVD player... you can do the basic maintenance required for the s40. .

Not exactly true Rock, I know people who can't program the clock on a VCR but are mechanical geniuses and vice versa.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:26:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2007 S40 not suitable for freeway commuting?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.