Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
2007 S40 not suitable for freeway commuting? (Read 694 times)
stumusic
YaBB Newbies

What a great bike...

Poway, CA (near San Diego)
2007 S40 not suitable for freeway commuting?
01/09/09 at 08:41:59

Hey guys,

First, I'm wondering what a reasonable price is for replacing front pads and an oil change might be for those of us without the tools/ time to de it ourselves. Recently my local "Big Box" motorcycle dealer quoted me $165 for the break work, and about $100 for an oil/ filter change. I contacted a small independent shop here in town, and was quoted $72 on the breaks (using dunlop semi-metallic pads) and $58 for the oil change. Thoughts? (I know a lot of you will say DIY, but as a full time student/ worker/ and dad, time is at a premium)

In talking about the bike, the independent mechanic expressed concern over my commuting on the S40 (about 60 miles a day, 40 of which are at 65-75mph.) In their opinion the big single just won't last long at those speeds. Much of their experience however seems to have been with older 4 speed Savages owned by people who never bothered to check the oil. (I think they slipped and referred to them as 'Salvages.') To prolong the life of the bike under those conditions, they recommend re-jetting to get a 'proper' mixture (i.e. a bit richer) that can help bring engine temps down, which from my pilot training makes some sense. We fly 'full rich' in small piston engine planes anytime we are full power so that the extra fuel in the cylinder helps cool the engine. They also recommended using a synthetic blend oil, and changing the oil every 2500, rather than every 5-6000 as Alba recommended.

Have I got the wrong bike for my needs? With these recommendations help? Will my slightly taller rear tire (ME880 140/90) help much by bringing the revs down a bit?

Thanks,

Stuart-

2007 Stock S40
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 2007 S40 not suitable for freeway commuting?
Reply #1 - 01/09/09 at 09:41:32

They have good suggestions, Rejet, & syn.  However, once you're up to speed, you'll find that you're not using much throttle.  Mikuni has told us that at cruise we're on the pilot jet, beleave it or not.  I think others have confirmed this and I can say too that while cruising it ain't twisted much.  Final drive ratio was supposed to be slightly higher on the 4 speed vs. 5.  I have a 25 mile commute, run upwards to 80, although 70 is my target speed.  Been doing that for 23k miles so far.  Haven't always been the best at keeping the oil level between the lines, and haven't always used syn.  Use 20-50 weight in the summer, and 10-40 weight in the winter.

Now for the maintenace stuff, here's why we tend to diy.  Our bikes cheap, so they tend to get a knuckle dragger to work on it.  Also, the time it takes to have a shop change your oil, you can easily diy.  $58 aint bad concidering the cost of oil.  Typically what I do, on return from a ride, park it, throw pan under, remove plug, pull filter, takes less the 5 minites.  Go away for awhile.  Replace filter and plug, pour in a 1 and a half, check level and fill.  Start bike, run for a bit, shut off and check level.  repeat as neccessary.  Wash bike & degrease engine.
Shouldn't take you more than a 1/2 hour for the oil change total.  More for washing of course.  You take it to the shop, it'll take that long to write it up and get someone to pick you up, unless you guys are best buddies.  Of course 1st time takes alot longer, but with practice...

Haven't seen dunlop brakes yet, but ebc's are a good brand and don't tend to squeal.  And I can do the front brakes in less than a 1/2 hr. too.

All it takes is a little prep, Buy your oil by the gallon.  And filters by the case.  If you're doing 120 miles a day 5 days a week, it'll add up quick.

Another thing for you to consider, rather than do every change yourself or at dealer, do every other one.  600 miles/wk, 2400/3000/month.  Once a month oil change.  every 2 months you just change oil, every 2 months dealer/independant changes oil/filter and does valve adjustment.  And every 3 to 6 months you're gonna need tires (it was a shock to me too)

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 01/09/09 at 09:57:25

Brakes:  pads run about $30-$40.  It takes about 5 minutes to change them and another 10-15 minutes to do a decent clean and inspect.  

Oil change:   oil filter is $4-7 (retail), and 2 liters of oil ($3-$10 per liter depenting on type (Mobile 1 (synthetic ) MC oil at Wal-Mart is around $8 per liter).  Time wise, 10 minutes but, if you know what you're doing (most shop do) you can do them at the same time.

Both are almost  the simplest thing to do on our bikes.......

So,   is this worth $265  or $130 .... He11 no......  but you have to make that decision.
-----------------------------------------------------
As for commuting:
- Commuting is where the bike excel's.
- rejetting will help the bike run cooler.   Aways a good thing on any air cooled bike (unless it's 20 deg F outside...)
- The bike wil do the 65-75 mph (unless you weight 500 lbs...) .  Is that 60 miles one-way???  If so you might have to get gas every day.   With our 2.9 gallon tank, plan for 100-110 miles before going into reserve.  
- Your thinking on oil is important, and clearly your are on your way to being a get rider.    The bike is a slightly old-school design so it likes good oil.   Keep an eye on it,  As they said, if you can afford it, put synthetic in.   You sould be able go 3000-3500 no problem.  At the price they charge on oil changes, I can see why they want you back at 2500 miles.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #3 - 01/09/09 at 10:38:41

I run synthetic or synth-blend oils. I get my filters (not Suzuki) at a little sports bike shop for around $3.00 per. The oil change takes about ten minutes, and once you find the right size allen wrench your golden.

Haven't done the front pads yet, they're hanging on the garage wall waiting for the snow to melt. Got them at the same sports bike shop for half what the dealership wanted. I understand it's not too taxing a job to do the change.

I suggest doing the work yourself. It's the best way to get to know your bike and it's personality. This is my first bike ever at middle-to-old age and, although I had done extensive work on cars, I was a little apprehensive about the unknowns of cycle work. I paid for the first tire change and brake pad job. Never again. Outlandish labor rates.

As for running the bike at speed and distance, I've done three round trips in the 3k-4.2k range in the summer from MN to FL as well as countless other trips in the multi-hundred mile range. Interstate, back roads, gravel . . . this bike handles it all very well. I've not re-jetted but do run a Sportster muffler and have done the Oldfeller air filter mod. and I just can't wait to do a long run with the darkside radial I've got on the back now.

The only thing I can say is to be careful about reading Oldfeller's posts. He tends to get you thinking about doing strange things with your bike. then the next thing you know you're having fun, saving money AND thinking you can do most anything. There's them that think outside the box is not inside the box. Smiley

Jack

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #4 - 01/09/09 at 11:03:48

20 miles of freeway @ 65 to 70 mph each way is really no problem for the S-40. If it were me, I'd leave it stock only because of all the problems people get into on here when they attempt to rejet. If you have faith in your mechanic to do the rejet correctly then go ahead.
I know you dont want to hear about DIY, But i'm going to say it anyway. The oilchange requires a crescent wrench and a allen wrench to do the filter.
The front brake can be done with one boxend wrench and a allen.
Time for the oilchange might be 30 min if your slow and careful like me.
Time for the front brake is maybe 20 minutes and thats being generous.
Now start to finish how long would it take you to take your bike in drop it off, get the ride home. Go back later, pay the guy, ride home. I have to believe that the DIY way is more time efficient and without a doubt easier on your wallet.. If you really do have more money than time then have the shop come pick up your bike and return it when they're done with it..

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #5 - 01/09/09 at 11:15:48

stumusic wrote on 01/09/09 at 08:41:59:
...I know a lot of you will say DIY, but as a full time student/ worker/ and dad, time is at a premium...

My $.02...I WOULD REALLY RECOMMEND DIY!!

I'm really busy too...but DIY maintenance is very easy as others have said.  I'm not a great DIY'er either (double the estimate times mentioned).  But this is really an easy and fun bike to work on (believe me I've tried working on some other bikes).  It's become more of a "dad's quiet time" kinda bike.  And the maintenance on it is really nothing more than the time to take any vehicle in to get the maintenance done.  In addition you gain valuable experience on the understanding of your bike which is invaluable when/if something goes wrong.  'Nuff sayd...

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 01/09/09 at 12:24:56

Actually, $58 for an oil change is a pretty good price (shops around me charge $80) I change my own oil though, and kind of enjoy doing it and  saving the $$$. It's a waste of money paying to have someone else change it. Realistically, it takes me about 20-30 minutes from prep to clean up. Once you do it yourself for the first time and see how easy it is, you'll laugh at yourself for even considering paying a shop. Oil change, and as TM mentioned, changing brake pads, are not very time consuming projects. Use the money you save to buy something that will give you pleasure.

Riding your Savage 30 miles to work on the highway sounds like a great way to start the day Grin

FSO
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 01/09/09 at 12:26:07

stumusic wrote on 01/09/09 at 08:41:59:
...replacing front pads  ... dealer quoted me $165...
Let's see...  120 miles each way, 4 hours travel, four gallons gas.  about $30 for a set of pads.  10 minutes to change them.  I'll do it for $150.

Seriously, the front pads are nothing to change.  Half hour including running in and out of the house to get instructions off this site.

60 mile/day = 300 miles/5-day week = 15,000 miles/50 week year.  In your situation you might consider going to the dark side for tires.  Other than that, as others have noted, the bike has no problem running at speed.  Year and a half ago I ran L.A. to Holbrook AZ (570 miles) in a single day, followed by 510 miles to Amarillo the next day.  And I'm a wuss compared to BeatDuck.

WWW   IP Logged
stumusic
YaBB Newbies

What a great bike...

Poway, CA (near San Diego)
Reply #8 - 01/09/09 at 13:06:28

Thank you all for your replies, and for beating up on me for not wanting to do my own oil changes... I've determined I should at the least do that much myself. I'm letting the shop do the brakes this time, but I'll take a look at the procedure and think about it for the next set. On that oil change, will all (or enough) of the oil drain with the bike just on its own side stand?

The shop called to report that they'd put the bike on their exhaust gas analyzer and it was severely lean on the idle jet and suggested I spent $90 to have them bore it open and adjust it a bit. Given the post suggesting at cruise we are primarily on the idle jet, maybe that's a good idea? (I had though of having a dynojet stage one kit installed right after I got the bike but was worried about the implications from a emissions certification point of view.... Silly me...)

I had to replace the stock IRC rear tire after 4,500 miles, but with 3,000 on the Metzler I replaced it with, there's no comparison with how the Metzler is holding up. I'll bet I double the miles on it compare to the IRC if the wear continues at this rate.

Thanks,

Stuart-

2007 Stock S40
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #9 - 01/09/09 at 13:20:59

Do you really want a stranger fondling your Suzi? I thought not.
DIY. If I can wrench on it, anybody can.  Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 01/09/09 at 14:10:49

stumusic wrote on 01/09/09 at 13:06:28:
Thank you all for your replies, and for beating up on me for not wanting to do my own oil changes... I've determined I should at the least do that much myself. I'm letting the shop do the brakes this time, but I'll take a look at the procedure and think about it for the next set. On that oil change, will all (or enough) of the oil drain with the bike just on its own side stand?

The shop called to report that they'd put the bike on their exhaust gas analyzer and it was severely lean on the idle jet and suggested I spent $90 to have them bore it open and adjust it a bit. Given the post suggesting at cruise we are primarily on the idle jet, maybe that's a good idea? (I had though of having a dynojet stage one kit installed right after I got the bike but was worried about the implications from a emissions certification point of view.... Silly me...)

I had to replace the stock IRC rear tire after 4,500 miles, but with 3,000 on the Metzler I replaced it with, there's no comparison with how the Metzler is holding up. I'll bet I double the miles on it compare to the IRC if the wear continues at this rate.

Thanks,

Stuart-

Cool, they actually gave it to someone who knows what he's doing.
Have it done, the neighbors will thankyou for the reduced gun fire.

Before you put the plug back in, rock the bike from side to side to get alittle more.  I've been putting the front wheel on a block to get my automotive oil pan under the savage.  I've discovered that I need to take the block out to finish draining the tranny.  But getting most of the oil out is good enough.

Metzlers, you should get 3 to 4 times the life of the stock tire.  Although lately there have been some reports to avoid the tires made in brazil.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 01/09/09 at 14:18:08

The $$$ you save will more than pay for the tools & oil drain pan( get a Low one), a cake pan works fine. Harbor Freight has T handled allen wrenches for cheap. Get a few O-rings for both places. They both last thru several oil changes, but its good to have backups & not be running for ten cent parts every time you need one. Get a magnetic plug at least. Once you get comfortable with it all, study Old Fellers posts on Supermagnets. I have spare oil plug washers & O-rings. It's not much $$ & having them assures me I wont be parked over a little detail. You will gain confidence & save $$$ AND you wont be looking for someone to take you home from the shop, you wont be waiting on them to get to it & you wont need anyone to take you to get & you wont have to drive the car while you wait. When the rear tire gets replaced, a taller one will give you a small gearing change.
The challenge of jetting isnt so much the mechanics of DOING it, it's getting it adjusted & choosing the correct size for the bike to get the right fuel/air mixture. The guys here can & will help with that. Give them accurate descriptions of how its runnintg & you'll get directions on how to get it right.

So far, we've seen at least 2 engines ruined by Professional Mechanics doing oil changes. No owners have messed things up changing oil. Sticking an oil filter in backwards just dont make sense.Just look at it when it comes out. Its easier to get right than wrong.

Doing the brakes is easy enough, just talk about it before you dive in. Look the bike over, read the manual, I expect there are pics in the tech area.
You'll need to get a small collection of tools & lubricants & just start in. As your confidence grows( It Will grow, because Success Breeds Confidence & you Will be successful) your list of jobs you are willing to attack will grow & your tool collection will grow along with your technical abilities.

Save your $$$, expand your horizons & enjoy taking care of the bike.
Its fun when you've finished a project that WOULD have cost you $100.00 & you did it for $25.00, knowing the next 6 pack & pizza are FREE!!, because you saved all that $$$$.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #12 - 01/09/09 at 14:46:19

You may spend some money initially getting the right tools... but is that a bad thing?  I've been able to buy more cool tools and stuff for the bike because it's never been in the shop.  Honda Shadow 1100 has cost me $300 for the shop to do a rear tube replacement, replace rear brake pads, and a carb sync.  Fortunately an oil change and front brakes are even easier than the Savage.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #13 - 01/09/09 at 17:28:59

Just have to join in on doing the oil change DIY, it really will save time and money for you while also connecting you to your bike more, while the oil is draining you can check the tires, lights and wipe it down. Go for rejetting the main, it gives more throttle at highway speeds and makes the bike run cooler.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #14 - 01/09/09 at 19:17:34

front brakes are a snap!!! did them myself
if you can change the oil you can do the front brakes

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:28:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2007 S40 not suitable for freeway commuting?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.