Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Road Hazards
01/07/09 at 09:35:04

Saw this in a Gold Wing Newsletter...

(Ghostly) Road Hazards by Lou Caspary

I know a San Diegan who was riding with 20 bikes somewhere. All 20 bikes went down and slid hundreds of feet on a 2” carpet of oil from an oil tanker truck.  Many of us relax on the freeway.
“What can happen, just go straight, this is a piece of cake”. But sometimes, you might only have a millisecond to decide between the right and wrong move. And sometimes, only a gust of wind can save your life.
I will tell you about the most bizarre of hazards that I have ever seen – it just happened coming back from JBJ’s yesterday. Before I do, lets go over a short list of what I have seen on the freeways and roads over the years:
Armadillo (Texas)
Alligator (Key West)
Living room couch
Rake
Ladder
Mattress
Mother Turkey with 5 baby turkeys (Blue Ridge Parkway)
Black Bear (Idaho)
Moose (Canada)
Frogs, crabs and turtles
Overturned cars on fire
Thousands of onions from an overturned semi.

Once, all cars in the fast lane were hooked together like a NASCAR race, barely 10 feet between each car. In a flash, one car spun out, and ended up 180ş in the same lane, at a dead stop.  Panic stops from all involved.  
Other road hazards abound. Did you know that deer, cows and even squirrels are to blame for more than 26,000 injuries a year? Half were caused by hitting, half were caused from trying to avoid the animal. According to Motor Cyclist magazine, they have encountered:
Barbeques
Picnic Coolers
Chainsaw
2000 gallons of monkey excrement
A fullsize construction portable toilet in the middle of I15

But back to my most bizarre award.  I was in the fast lane, southbound as the freeway curved left. No cars were ahead of me, but a SUV was behind.  Then I saw it. 100 feet ahead of me was a 15’18’ tall plastic cover, the type that might be used to cover a couch from dust.  It was about 56’ wide, and was STANDING UP in the wind, covering my lane. It was being moved around by car vortexes, AND SEEMED TO BE WAVING TO ME. If I moved right, it because, at 80 mph, I was closing on this ghostly apparition fast. It was only by pure luck that my left handlebar missed the thing by about a foot.

I can only imagine the outcome if it had covered, and then got dragged, by the front of the Goldwing. It would have enveloped me at 80 mph.

Because there is nothing to be learned from this experience, as you could live several more lifetimes and never see anything like this again, you have to remember: Look ahead. Even a 12 second forward scan will not help you all the time if the freeway bends left and you can only see 11 seconds ahead. Let’s be alert out there!

source:  www.gwrra-ca1f.org/news/Newsletters/2005_01.pdf

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Road Hazards
Reply #1 - 01/07/09 at 11:25:47

You also want to avoid following rolling billboards, AKA vans, trucks, and anything else that blocks your forward view.

Wife was driving behind one when the vehicle in front of the billboard cut the to right and started braking.  The billboard went left and started braking.  Wendy was stuck in the middle, now following a bouncing office chair that had fallen off a flatbed truck.  She nails the brakes, starts to go sideways, switches to the accelerator to stop the skid and nails the chair.  Fortunately she was in the '77 K2500 GMC pickup truck.  Chair impacted right front and shattered, marking the paint on the bumper.

WWW   IP Logged
SavRon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #2 - 01/07/09 at 11:34:04

Quote:

WTF ??

I've only been riding since August and so far I've encountered and avoided ( luckly ),  Deer, Snake, Squirrels, Chipmunk, Rubber Bungie Cords, and other Motorists left of center.
 Sometimes I wonder if I'm riding on a highway or an obsticle course...Geezzzzzzzzzz   Undecided

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/07/09 at 11:55:00

SavRon wrote on 01/07/09 at 11:34:04:
Quote:

WTF ??

How the heck do you get 2000 gals of monkey $h!t and why would you truck it anywhere?

Reminds me of the joke, the prize winning pig, the cork and the monkey.

WWW   IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Reply #4 - 01/07/09 at 12:35:21

Best one I have seen....

Thousands of Victoria Secret Bras and Panties covering a freeway. The truck driver did not secure the back doors and lost the load on the way to our offices.....

Someone had to go pick all those up. Wink

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Reply #5 - 01/07/09 at 14:01:56

man.......

you guys must drive on some very interesting highways...

the only thing i've almost hit (besides manholes) was a rabbitt. besides
that, rocks are about all that are in the way.

where are these obsticle courses your guys are riding on. must be fun.

Gargle, sputter, burp and die!!! The ways of my LS650!!!!!
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 01/07/09 at 16:44:53

daweise1 wrote on 01/07/09 at 12:35:21:
...Thousands of Victoria Secret Bras and Panties covering a freeway. The truck driver did not secure the back doors and lost the load on the way to our offices....
Inquiring minds need to know:

1.  Just where do you work that you are having thousands of Victoria Secret Bras and Panties delivered to your offices?

2.  Are you hiring?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 01/07/09 at 18:33:06

".....thousands of Victoria Secret Bras and Panties...."

Slick as silk sheets....... , makes for a soft landing though...
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Riding with some buddies once, through a roadwork area, when the wind caught one of the roadwork warning signs and nearly decapitated one of us.... missed by inches...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/07/09 at 18:41:36

I was riding with my (former) BIL. He was pulling 1/2 of a doublewide. He didnt believe the 55 or 60 MPH Max they told him. Just as we crested a small hill I saw a ripple run down the side, then all the siding blew off & was sliding down the road, spinning & twirling , total chaos. The first vehicle over the hill behind us was a bike. The guy stood up & started dancing that bike thru the wreckage. he stayed off of every bit of it & rode on. He was a good rider.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Reply #9 - 01/07/09 at 20:23:02

I work for Victoria Secret Home offices in Columbus, the parent company is Limitedbrands.....

Yes, they are always hiring it seems.......

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
Beatduck
Alliance Member

Spleen tingling fun!

Sarasota, FL
Reply #10 - 01/07/09 at 21:02:36

Yup.
Had a small cardboard box fly out of the back of a pick up two days ago.
Missed me by about a foot.

Never a dull moment.......

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 01/07/09 at 21:21:19

daweise1 wrote on 01/07/09 at 20:23:02:
I work for Victoria Secret Home offices in Columbus, the parent company is Limitedbrands.....

I bet they are... TRUCK DRIVER NEEDED,  Grin....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #12 - 01/07/09 at 21:36:37

Serowbot wrote on 01/07/09 at 21:21:19:

Drivers probably have a hard time keeping eyes on the road, and off the product catalogs  Wink

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 01/07/09 at 21:43:06

Gary On A Savage wrote on 01/07/09 at 21:36:37:
Serowbot wrote on 01/07/09 at 21:21:19:

Drivers probably have a hard time keeping eyes on the road, and off the product catalogs  Wink

L, what do they need catalogs for, just go in back of the truck and roll around for a bit.... guess you know why the back was open.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #14 - 01/08/09 at 07:08:03

Someone lost a load of shoes on I-4 over in Orlando last week, really tied things up for about a hour. Things I've hit on the freeway in cars include a umbrella which poked a hole in the muffler and a skid which tore the entire exhaust system off the bottom of the car. It really su@ks to be stuck in fast moving traffic and see something in the lane ahead knowing you have to go over it.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 23:22:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Road Hazards

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.