Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tire Tubes (Read 236 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Tire Tubes
01/06/09 at 19:15:25

I tried the search feature, but nothing actually came up. I am fixing to replace my IRC tire with a new IRC tire, and if somebody could recommend to me what tube to get, what size and where to get it.

Thanks in advance Smiley

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Tire Tubes
Reply #1 - 01/06/09 at 19:36:58

Hi Ralf,

I replaced the rear tube on mine (see signature) a few years back.  I got a size 130/90-15 and it has been working fine for over two years now.

I can't remember the brand name, but I got it at a Suzuki shop.  It cost me about $11.00.

IHTH!

« Last Edit: 01/16/09 at 19:37:30 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 01/06/09 at 19:37:56

My suggestion would be that you get a different brand of tire. One that last for more miles, tread wise as well as life of the sidewall. Seems the IRC's weather check and weaken pretty quickly compared to say Dunlops. Look through the posts on here and you'll find lots of references to many different brands with the IrC not being held in too high of favor.

Then get a tube that matches the tire size. If you're doing things the right way you're getting a new tube every time you replace the tire. My experience is that the tubes still look like new even after the tire has a tread face to match the back of my head.

Jack

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 01/06/09 at 20:05:30

get a new rim liner also

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 01/06/09 at 21:32:38

and get one with a 90' degree bend valve stem, have them mount it pointing out to the brake side...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 01/06/09 at 21:40:39

ralfyguy wrote on 01/06/09 at 19:15:25:
I tried the search feature, but nothing actually came up. I am fixing to replace my IRC tire with a new IRC tire, and if somebody could recommend to me what tube to get, what size and where to get it.

Dennis Kirk will sell you a Dunlop K555, an IRC tube, and a Kenda rimstrip for $106.50 delivered to your door.  (only a buck more than the IRC and a far better tire.)

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 01/07/09 at 06:01:24

If you want a tire better than the stock Irc try the Pirelli mt66 route cruiser tire,Much smoother ride and better handling .

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 01/07/09 at 18:48:50

I dont think you can buy a tire that isnt better than the stocker. Mine felt slimy from day one & never got better.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Beatduck
Alliance Member

Spleen tingling fun!

Sarasota, FL
Reply #8 - 01/07/09 at 21:42:25

Metzler!!! Been working great on my bike.
I agree you should upgrade you tires, and anything is better than stock. Well worth a little extra money for a tire that will last twice as long.

I hadn't thought of that 90˚ thing. Great idea.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 01/08/09 at 11:53:07

Paladin. wrote on 01/06/09 at 21:40:39:
ralfyguy wrote on 01/06/09 at 19:15:25:

Dennis Kirk will sell you a Dunlop K555, an IRC tube, and a Kenda rimstrip for $106.50 delivered to your door.  (only a buck more than the IRC and a far better tire.)

What is the tube size? Is the K555 the same size as stock?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 01/08/09 at 15:45:46

When I had the rear replaced the 1st time, the guy who did it tossed the rubber strip & wrapped the inside with a yellow tape, 2" wide. It looked like it had the flexibility & texture of electrical tape. After a few tires I pulled it & cleaned the wheel up, knocking the rust out & treating it with Ospho & replaced the rubber strip. IF I knew where to get some O that tape, tho, I'd use it. I think its a common item in dirt bike riding circles.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #11 - 01/08/09 at 16:49:33

Already had lots of advice on the tires I see... but don't let them scare you away from the IRC if the deal is really good; They aren't that bad of tires, just not the best.

Just an observation on tubes themselves: In two recent rear tire replacements, I used a Kenda tube once, and an IRC tube in the other. The IRC tube was about twice as thick and heavy as the Kenda branded tube. Good or bad? I can't say for sure; but The IRC was sure a heckuva lot harder to get stowed away into the tire (doing them myself with big old tire irons).

And, I know there are issues with increasing the unsprung weight with things like a super heavy tube. OTOH, when tearing down a rocky dirt road; as I've been known to do even on street bikes, and especially the lightweight Savage, I'm glad to know that I have that big heavy tube in the tire; hoping that it prevents an easy puncture on a sharp rock etc...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 01/08/09 at 17:00:52

I havent done any homework on this, so, if its laughably innacurate, forgive me, please.
Ive heard that the biggest part of the problem with using a flat fixing product is that the tube splits/tears & wont seal off & that if a real rubber tube can be found it wont do that. So, what are the tubes made of? Hekk, I dunno, maybe I should have a look B4 I post this, but Ill take the chance at looking silly.

Edit* Re: IRC tires.
I've seen reports of people fully satisfied with their IRC stocker tires. Mine was not good, but since I hadnt ridden in 20ish years, it gave me reason to ride easy & ride thru turns like I was on a slick road.
After the IRC I had a Maxxis ( cant remember which Maxxiss) put on & I got more miles than the IRC( it gave me 5,000, but should have been replaced at least 500 miles before I did it). The first Maxxiss performed so well I got another. The second only lasted 3,000 miles. It handled well, but 3,000 miles just dont cut it, ya know..
Point is, Maxxiss made 2 tires( I got the same model tire both times) that performed very differently. IRC does too.
I havent heard anyone complain about Metzler traction or tread life varying. Dunlop, MAYbe, I cant remember any particular complaint, but I do think Ive seen reports of widely varying tire life, but with different riders, varying results are to be expected. The varying Maxxiss life span I experienced was almost 50% & my riding style didn't change that much.
Of course, if you are completely In Sane you could stick a car tire on it & have a tire that lasts longer than a Tootsie-Roll.

« Last Edit: 01/08/09 at 18:48:22 by justin_o_guy2 »  

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 01/08/09 at 17:45:17

I just read IRC tubes are made of combination of real rubber and butyl rubber,I guess butyl is man made rubber.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 01/16/09 at 07:26:03

Ralfyguy

Sometime check out "DARK SIDE TIRES" on (u-tube),  a 135SR-15, 145SR-15, 155/60-15, OR 155/80-15 will fit ours.  The only place(s) to get them is on line , but you'll be hard pressed to find more "grip" or longer lasting.

good luck

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:47:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire Tubes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.