Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Idle Speed...
01/05/09 at 11:09:06

Since our bikes don't come with a tach, and idle speed being crucial to good oil pressure, it would be very helpful to me, and probably others, if someone could post an mp3 of a savage idling at the proper speed...

Any volunteers out there with a tach?...

I've also wondered if a low idle speed has anything to do with premature camchain failure....the temptation to set the idle low for a lopey idle sound, may be causing damage....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Idle Speed...
Reply #1 - 01/05/09 at 11:32:49

The cam chain is lubed by splash anyway, so I wouldn't think that for the short time at idle that pressure is lowest that would have a devestating effect.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 01/05/09 at 12:53:27

Habitual low idle has been noted as a potential cause for cam bearing (head) failure and accelerated spauling wear of the rocker arms and cam lobes, not for killing the cam chain per se.

Splash is it for lubing the cam chain.   Splash is not enough according to Morse -- the cam chain needs a continuous lube flow for best life.

However, one wonders if some intentional re-routing of the overflow of oil down the cam chain tunnel from the force feeding of the cam/head bearings might be redirected with a tilted runner lip of some sort in the cam chain tunnel to a point that would directly lube the right downside (front) cam chain guide and continuously hit the chain as well, of course.

===========

Verslagen, you are confirmed for the last top bunk bed in the apartment up at Deal's Gap Hotel.  

So now you gotta upgrade from a "maybe" to a definitely going.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 01/05/09 at 17:07:44

From the owner's manual for the five-speed model, in the section on break-in on Page 4-2, the machine runs at 20 mph in 1st gear at 4000 rpm. That would mean 5 mph at 1000 rpm or 6 mph at 1200 rpm. There is undoubtedly a little "rounding" in their table, but that should be close. If you adjust the idle so the bike is running at that speed in low gear, and the engine speed doesn't change noticably when you release or engage the clutch, you should be good. In theory you could put the bike on a stand with the rear wheel raised, and with the bike in gear adjust the idle speed to the correct speedometer speed but it won't work because of driveline lash.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 01/06/09 at 03:44:04

Just adjust it to a medium fast idle speed.  A nice even "bup bup bup" with no hesitation is about 1,500 rpm.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 01/06/09 at 19:23:44

The problem with 1500rpm idle is, that at least on mine putting it into 1st, the tranny slams real hard. And I tried to adjust the clutch play, and it didn't make a difference. Only turning it down to about 1100rpm solved that.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 01/07/09 at 18:55:27

Ralf,

Here's a trick that works good on mine (see signature):

When in neutral and wanting to shift to first on a stationary bike, I pull the clutch lever in and wait for a few potatoes.  Then, I can get it into first with little or no drama.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:26:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idle Speed...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.