Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Shutting off......pleaase help (Read 385 times)
Tony01
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Shutting off......pleaase help
Reply #15 - 01/05/09 at 21:28:21

But only does this on rapid stop? - could be a float level issue....

ok, you got it that's my problem it only happens on rapid stop.
I'd like to explore the float level issue, what should i look for?

Tony.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #16 - 01/05/09 at 21:35:31

Which carb bowl is on a 2001 - it have a drain opening screw on the side and a drain pipe out the bottom of the bowl - or just a big drain plug on the bottom of the bowl?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #17 - 01/05/09 at 21:47:51

by the way - when you re-jetted the carb what did you change - as in did you change the pilot jet? and was the bike doing this before the jet change?

IP Logged
Tony01
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 01/06/09 at 04:52:23

Reelthing wrote on 01/05/09 at 21:47:51:
by the way - when you re-jetted the carb what did you change - as in did you change the pilot jet? and was the bike doing this before the jet change?

I changed the main and the pilot jets also I'm running 1/3 of the white spacer, it has a drain opening screw on the side and a drain pipe out the bottom of the bowl and yes it was doing it before the new jets.

Tony.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #19 - 01/06/09 at 08:16:45

It could also be the carb slide hanging a little.  When you changed the spacer, how did it look????

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 01/06/09 at 08:54:44

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 01/06/09 at 08:16:45:
It could also be the carb slide hanging a little.  When you changed the spacer, how did it look????  

Don't think it's a sticky slide, that would cause lag in throttle change.
As in hesitate to accel and fast idle, slowly coming down.

Not that a good carb clean wouldn't fix his problem.

WWW   IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #21 - 01/06/09 at 11:06:12

...mmmm, are you running your gas in the "ON" position?

Try running it in "PRI" just to see what happens.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #22 - 01/06/09 at 11:38:24

What I believe is happening is that the fuel in the float bowl is "surging" forward with the combination of nose dive and braking. That changes the fuel level at the jets, and causes the mixture to be incorrect and the engine to die briefly. It is a problem common to carbureted engines with float bowl carburetors. There are some design features intended to minimize it, such as positioning the jets as near the center of the float bowl as possible, but the problem still exists.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Tony01
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 01/06/09 at 15:07:47

Charon wrote on 01/06/09 at 11:38:24:
What I believe is happening is that the fuel in the float bowl is "surging" forward with the combination of nose dive and braking. That changes the fuel level at the jets, and causes the mixture to be incorrect and the engine to die briefly. It is a problem common to carbureted engines with float bowl carburetors. There are some design features intended to minimize it, such as positioning the jets as near the center of the float bowl as possible, but the problem still exists.

I believe you are right on the money, that's exactly what's happening to my bike now I need to know how to fix or reduce the problem.

TOny.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #24 - 01/06/09 at 15:45:50

As a practical matter, there is no way to fix the problem. You can turn up the idle, which will leave the engine spinning faster and may give it time to recover from the stumble before it stalls. That's a work-around, not a fix. The only other solution is fuel injection. Or you could brake less violently to reduce the slosh.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #25 - 01/06/09 at 15:57:14

ok you have the easy carb to check the fuel level on - pick up some clear gas proof tube that will fit over the carb drain - run the tube up above the carb say to the seat - open the drain screw level the bike and you can see how high up the float bowl the fuel goes before the float shuts it off - this fuel height is adjusted by very slight bending of the tab the float needle attaches to or even the float arms if your real careful - but first see where the level is now - so I assume you replaced the carb bowl screws with stainless allen head to make the drop'n of the bowl easy - when I get back to the house I'll gather up the shop manual that tells us the expected float/fuel height.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 01/06/09 at 18:41:04

we are getting a little too scientific with this carb thing lol. That savage is not that complicated is it? Just drain the bowl, turn to PRI, start her up and run her. Thats what I did after jetting. Anyways, watch my bike not start when spring comes around lol.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #27 - 01/06/09 at 19:36:29

odvelasc wrote on 01/06/09 at 18:41:04:
we are getting a little too scientific with this carb thing lol. That savage is not that complicated is it? Just drain the bowl, turn to PRI, start her up and run her. Thats what I did after jetting. Anyways, watch my bike not start when spring comes around lol.

Your spring????? ..... you mean June  Grin  Grin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The surge theroy makes a bit of sense since the pilot (low speed) jet is forward  of the center of the carb....... in other words.... Off the throttle and it gets a squirt of gas when it's not ready for it.... and a little higher Idel would give you a touch more air to absord the extra gas.....  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #28 - 01/06/09 at 19:43:11

FWIW, my 1981 Mazda GLC (carbureted) had a special idle-up diaphragm mounted on the side of the carb that would bump the idle up during hard right turns.

I had to replace it once because the engine was dying in hard right turns.

Charon is right, I believe.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 01/06/09 at 19:43:42

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 01/06/09 at 19:36:29:
odvelasc wrote on 01/06/09 at 18:41:04:

Your spring????? ..... you mean June  Grin  Grin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The surge theroy makes a bit of sense since the pilot (low speed) jet is forward  of the center of the carb....... in other words.... Off the throttle and it gets a squirt of gas when it's not ready for it.... and a little higher Idel would give you a touch more air to absord the extra gas.....  

Lol. yeah we ususally start getting the teepee tents out at the end of march after the last snowfall. Thats when the igloos start melting lol. If the snow banks on the side of the roads and peoples front lawns are  only 4 ft high as opposed to 15 ft, people usually start riding.   Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:25:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shutting off......pleaase help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.