Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exhaust Gaskets at NAPA (Read 203 times)
Joe Friday
YaBB Newbies

My AARP card is
dated during the
last century.

Beautiful Weiss Lake - Alabama
Exhaust Gaskets at NAPA
01/04/09 at 14:05:20

Autozone, NAPA and all the auto parts stores have exhaust gaskets that fit all the scoots I'm familuar with. (Yamaha Honda and HD)  Just wondering if anyone has researched the replacement part number for the S40?  

If not, anyone got a old head pipe and a micrometer handy?  I'll se if I can cross reference it...

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Exhaust Gaskets at NAPA
Reply #1 - 01/05/09 at 03:18:24

I can do better than that, I think.  

Your Suzuki part number is 14181-45C00.  The part was constructed by wrapping a long wide sheet of of thin corrugated aluminum bellows like material and wrapping it three times around a 2" diameter steel mandrel (2.024" on sprung free ID) then wrapping thin abestos-like fiber paper around that 40 times then wrapping the OD in another three wraps of corrugated aluminum bellows material to finish out at a 2.428" OD.  Then they cut the resulting long ridgid composite tube into little 0.196" wide slices using a roller cutter to make up our little gaskets.

In inches -- 2.024" ID,  2.428" OD,  0.196" thick

In mm -- 51.42mm ID,  61.61mm OD,  5mm wide    (independent data, the part isn't perfectly round BTW)

And yes, I suspect they have muffler gaskets at a car parts place that could work and be a good bit cheaper to buy.  

Do tell us what that answer is, looking forward to knowing.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Joe Friday
YaBB Newbies

My AARP card is
dated during the
last century.

Reply #2 - 01/05/09 at 04:38:09

Thanks Oldfeller...  I have the info printed out and will git with my parts guru later on today!...  And yes, they are a good bit cheaper.  The last ones I bought for a Roadstar were $2.40 each at Autozone or $16.something at my friendly Yammamamma shop.  Not to mention it's a mile to the auto parts place or a 50 mile round trip to the scooter place...

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 01/06/09 at 18:07:03

I've always thought the stock one could be a little thicker,...I'd like a bit more crush....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Joe Friday
YaBB Newbies

My AARP card is
dated during the
last century.

Reply #4 - 01/08/09 at 17:55:57

No luck...  If the measurements were correct that thang is WAAAAY biger than anything we could find...  Oh well, it was worth a try...

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 01/09/09 at 03:14:43

Remember, the gasket fits the outer edge of a flange on the end of a 1.75" exhaust pipe.  Measurements are correct, even when back checked with a simple steel ruler.

If this is a failed thing, it needs to be moved to Rubber Side Down.

Shame, seems like a gasket should be available for some larger exhaust pipes.  Diesel exhaust systems commonly use 2" pipe sizes and up.  Did your NAPA man check bus exhaust systems (school buses and such?)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Joe Friday
YaBB Newbies

My AARP card is
dated during the
last century.

Reply #6 - 01/10/09 at 05:28:34

I don't really know where all he looked, but I did order one from a dealer yesterday.  Parts girl said she'd put it in a bubble envelope and mail it to me for $4.50...  Makes me wonder why I didn't just do that in the first place.  But then again i have always been a tightwad and never figured you could get one for less than 10 bucks!...

I'll contact a mod about movin' the thread...

WWW   IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #7 - 01/13/09 at 11:18:41

Ive done this twice already. I know the auto parts store has it in the back with all there other gaskets (usually in a bin of sorts). I don't recall what the exact nomenclature is, but I do remember its off a Chevy engine and is classified as an exhaust cruch gasket. Runs about $5.

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 01/13/09 at 12:46:54

Chopped wrote on 01/13/09 at 11:18:41:
Ive done this twice already. I know the auto parts store has it in the back with all there other gaskets (usually in a bin of sorts). I don't recall what the exact nomenclature is, but I do remember its off a Chevy engine and is classified as an exhaust cruch gasket. Runs about $5.

Are you talking about a collector gasket? The gasket that goes between the header and pipe on a car/truck?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 03:27:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust Gaskets at NAPA

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.