Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch cable ASAP!!! (Help/Ideas/where to find?) (Read 147 times)
Chinaheart
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clutch cable ASAP!!! (Help/Ideas/where to find?)
01/02/09 at 19:30:16

Bike: 1986 LS 560. (Savage)

This morning, as I was about to put her into gear, I go for the clutch and SNAP!!!  Cable snapped about an inch from the lever. (I suspect it was rubbing against the slit in the collar)

I've called a crapload of dealers, and they all say it's got to be ordered.  Aprox 5 bussiness days.

I need to have wheels by Wednesday.  

I need ideas and input from anyone who can help.

First off, do any of you know where I can find a clutch cable ASAP (As in in stock and on hand)?  I personally live in PHX AZ, but I work for an airline, I can fly to just about any major airport to pick one up. So If any of you have a source, that has them in stock, please let me know where, and if they are open Saturday, and/or sunday.

If that doesn't work, my next idea is to place the order for the replacement... and as a pathetic attempt, (Sit down for this) attempt to use a bicycle brake cable as a temporary replacement.  Shocked
I know it may sound rediculously stupid at first, but I figure it only has to survive about 1-2 days before the real cable arrives. Maybe something from Home Depot, etc. Seriously, I'm desperate.

Also, aside from a friggin Bike cable, are there any alternatives I can use? Say, like the newer S40 clutch cables, or any other cycle with a similar length/fittings that might be easier to find somewhere.

I'm not sure why this bike allways dies on me when I do need it; but I tell you, it sure cruises nicely when I don't need it.  Wink

As allways, thanks in advance.
Chris.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Clutch cable ASAP!!! (Help/Ideas/where to find
Reply #1 - 01/02/09 at 20:01:33

Use a small pair of vice grips on the end of the broken cable to get you moving from a stop. Once moving you can shift w/o the clutch both up and down. Practice makes perfect in this effort. try to match the engine speed with the next gear you want and gently press on the shifter lever, it should snick into the next gear. Find neutral early on for stops. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 01/02/09 at 20:10:40

Los Angeles is horrid in a lot of ways, but I have about 20 Suzuki Dealers within a hour or two's travel.  Let me make some calls in the morning.  Unless you want to do it.  Within 5 miles of LAX:

Honda Triumph Suzuki Victory‎ - 977 W Hyde Park Blvd, Inglewood, CA‎ - (310) 677-5800‎

La Yamaha‎ - 4082 Lincoln Blvd, Marina Del Rey, CA‎ - (310) 306-7906‎

Del Amo Motorsports‎ - 2500 Marine Ave, Redondo Beach, CA‎ - (310) 220-2223‎

DelAmo is closer to me, but when my cable broke they didn't have one.  The guys in Inglewood did!

Does LGB count as major?  You can use maps.google.com to look for suzuki motorcycles centering on any airport.    I'm 8 miles from LAX, 16 from LGB, you want I should courier a cable to the airport?

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 01/02/09 at 21:29:40

I checked with Motion Pro and was surprised to find that they do not make a specific clutch cable for our bikes.

However, they do offer some universal clutch cables.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 01/02/09 at 22:02:07

I have a spare, but I don't know if it's off a drag bar or a buckhorn.
If you're interested $5 and shipping
Measure yours and let me know.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 01/02/09 at 22:25:06

Clutch cable from  Honda cb550 is a direct swap.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Chinaheart
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/03/09 at 02:31:01

Paladin. wrote on 01/02/09 at 20:10:40:
Los Angeles is horrid in a lot of ways, but I have about 20 Suzuki Dealers within a hour or two's travel.  Let me make some calls in the morning.  Unless you want to do it.  Within 5 miles of LAX:

Honda Triumph Suzuki Victory‎ - 977 W Hyde Park Blvd, Inglewood, CA‎ - (310) 677-5800‎

La Yamaha‎ - 4082 Lincoln Blvd, Marina Del Rey, CA‎ - (310) 306-7906‎

Del Amo Motorsports‎ - 2500 Marine Ave, Redondo Beach, CA‎ - (310) 220-2223‎

DelAmo is closer to me, but when my cable broke they didn't have one.  The guys in Inglewood did!

Does LGB count as major?  You can use maps.google.com to look for suzuki motorcycles centering on any airport.    I'm 8 miles from LAX, 16 from LGB, you want I should courier a cable to the airport?  

I'll give a call to those three in the morning. But if  you know of any others, and and don't mind calling, I'd appreciate it. I normally wouldn't impose, but I really need this cable.  I'll also try using yellow pages for anyone else in the area.

Actually, LGB is much much easier than LAX for me to get to.
I was checking the boarding totals, and LGB is wide open, whereas LAX is overbooked all day.  Angry   But I can fly into LGB and taxi my way to LAX area if need be. I suppose it all depends which store ends up having one.

So, yeah. I'll call around a few places in the morning, but if you do find one, let me know, and I'll be on the next plane outta here.

Yonuh Adisi;  Thank you, that's good to know, I'll be asking around for both.

verslagen1;  If I don't find anything tommorow, I'll get back to you.

Max_Morley;  Good advice, I'm just not sure if I have the ball bearings to try that out just yet.  Wink  

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 01/03/09 at 02:55:26

I had to drive once with a broken clutch lever.You need to get it rolling a little,with you feet then shift into low,easy on the gas.all other shifts you don't need the clutch.tap in to nutrual   at a stop.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #8 - 01/03/09 at 04:54:59

Digger wrote on 01/02/09 at 21:29:40:
I checked with Motion Pro and was surprised to find that they do not make a specific clutch cable for our bikes.

However, they do offer some universal clutch cables.

IHTH!

They custom made mine,for the apes.But I had to send them the originals to copy.They did an excellent job.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 01/03/09 at 09:05:30

Don't know what you're flying (sometin' bigger than a piper cub I reckin') but I'm a stones throw from El Monte airport and bit farther from bracket in La Verne.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 01/03/09 at 19:04:10

I had a clutch linkage break on a 5 speed Mack truck. I pulled the kill till the engine was stumbling, jerked it into 1st & shoved the kill in & stepped on the throttle. Got it back to the shop awwright. Didnt hurt it any. Pretty good for a clunker weighing almost 80,000 pounds.
When the throttle return spring broke I wasnt too far from a place called MiniSkirt Junction, out in West Tx. Not another building for 20 miles or so. I walked back to that place, ,just a burger joint in the middle of nowhere & bought the spring off the screen door for $3.00, swiped a piece of wire from a fence & fixed it up. Since I was the mechanic for the company, I carried some tools all the time & since I was driving junk, I would have had tools wheter I was the mechanic or not.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #11 - 01/05/09 at 08:38:24

I have jerry rigged two different clutch cables for mine.... with great success being that I have 18" apes and can't find a cable long enough. just got some steel cable from Lowes and got greative with their cables stopes and... what do you know.... I have a cluch cable. Actually does anyone know where I can get an 8" over stock cluthc cable and same for the throttle?

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:30:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch cable ASAP!!! (Help/Ideas/where to find?)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.