The rest of the story (Read 442 times)
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
The rest of the story
01/01/09 at 09:04:58

This is a long story  but after talking with Lancer he suggested that I post it as it might help someone else on this site. My bike is a 2007 LS650 with 3800 miles on it. I came home from a 25 mile run and parked my bike in the carport. It had been running perfect. 4 days latter I rolled it out in the yard and started it up and it kept shutting down. I live down here in Florida and never have to use the choke when starting. I was puffing all kinds of black smoke, the kind you would get with full choke. I rolled it back to my work station and drained and removed the tank removed the seat,
Battery and box and pulled the carb. I tore the carb down and it was clean as a whistle inside. I checked both diaphragms and blew all the passages through carb cleaner and put it back together and put it back on the bike. I thought maybe I had got some bad gas to I went and bought a gallon of fresh gas and even bought a new spark plug. I had checked the old plug and it was snapping hot blue spark grounding on the head bolt.
When I restarted  it was doing the same thing as before only worse. I contacted Lancer and he told me there were only 2 things that would cause this condition, the petcock(which was the first thing I had checked for gas in the vacuum line) and dirt in the float needle. I told him I hated to pull the carb off the bike again so I was going to drop the float bowl in place. At this point let me say that I am really glad that I had already replaced all the junk screws in the carb with stainless allen head screws when I rejetted the first time. Now it really gets better! I dropped the float bowl and and not a bit of dirt on the bottom. What was laying on the bottom was my little brass pilot valve! It had come unthreaded and fell out. The reason it fell out was my fault. Let me say here that I’m not a rookie on bikes. This is my 9th bike and over the years I’ve rebuilt 4bbl Rochesters, Carters and Hollys on cars but this time I screwed up. When I bought my jet kit from Lancer I done all the work on my work bench. Well I had went up to high on the jet size and after contacting Lancer he told me to come down I size. I had already done the white spacer and added a Harley Dyna muffler. When I changed the jets this time I done it with the carb on the bike. Now here is where I screwed up. I used  a little skinny screw driver to remove the pilot jet. When I put it back in I used a little stubby screw driver and the blade was a little wider than the one I had used to remove it. Guess what, that wider blade bottomed out on the sides of the pilot jet bore and gave me a false feeling of being tight. I don’t know how many threads it caught on but the bike run perfect for a little over 500 miles. Thank God when it came completely out it was right in my yard  and not out in the boonies as I run around on a lot of back roads down here. I won’t even think about what this would have cost if I took it back to the stealership! I know this long but I hope someone  else can learn from my mistake. My many thanks to Lancer!

As the Amish say up in Lancaster co. Pa.  “To oldt soon and to late smart”

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: The rest of the story
Reply #1 - 01/01/09 at 09:45:06

never too late 2 learn..thanks for the post.
lancer is priceless

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 01/01/09 at 16:38:20

marine5317 wrote on 01/01/09 at 09:04:58:
As the Amish say up in Lancaster co. Pa.  “To oldt soon and to late smart”

They might also say: Tighten the screwdriver in the carb the right size for the pilot jet.

(derived from the old standards,  "throw papa down the stairs his hat" and "throw the cow over the fence some hay")

From just east of the Amish lands....   Grin  ; Cool

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #3 - 01/01/09 at 20:13:15

Yep, Lancer is THE man.  Those of us who know him realize just how much a treasure he is.

Also, I want to thank all of you with the "Pennsylvania Dutch-speak."  Since my dad was from Lancaster County, (He graduated from Wernersville High school) I heard a lot of those Amishisms all my life.  Since he has passed on, I missed them...Thanks again.

Just remember on these Wintery nights.  "Make the door shut for once"

T  Wink

Because I can!
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 01/02/09 at 08:45:33

Andy my fil wasnt amish but here are a couple andyisims:
the froze is hosen
if the foo shits wear it
were going thru eisen tunnel hower
when on ice tap your lights brakely

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #5 - 01/04/09 at 11:15:06

lancer is the man, well on the east side,  over here in the west,  we got both greg and max to help us out.  i even got max in the same town as me.  now thats priceless.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 01/05/09 at 05:43:47

sluggo wrote on 01/04/09 at 11:15:06:
lancer is the man, well on the east side,  over here in the west,  we got both greg and max to help us out.  i even got max in the same town as me.  now thats priceless.

Oh Sluggo, you've pierced my heart dude   Sad

I know I'm way over here on the east side of the block, but I thought we had a connection man; after all that time behind the dumpster; sharing the stu... eh ... ah ... well you know ... daily rations.   Smiley

Well, I suppose I understand.  I mean, with the geographical reality we just don't get the quality bonding time that you get with Max, being right there in the same town and all and Greg being in the area as well.   Smiley

Anyway, don't worry about me; I will be ok; no really, I will be fine; it may take a while but all is well; for sure; I'm workin on it...........   Grin

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 01/05/09 at 08:22:06

Greg? havent heard  from forever and a day..he still thumpin?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 01/05/09 at 18:06:38

thumperclone wrote on 01/05/09 at 08:22:06:

Greg? havent heard  from forever and a day..he still thumpin?

I know he is still breathing; got a one-liner from him a couple of weeks back and today he posted a new year thank you for the CD sales.   I thought you had contact with him for some reason.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 01/07/09 at 00:51:48

LANCER wrote on 01/05/09 at 05:43:47:

I know I'm way over here on the east side of the block, but I thought we had a connection man; after all that time behind the dumpster; sharing the stu... eh ... ah ... well you know ... daily rations.   Smiley

Well, I suppose I understand.  I mean, with the geographical reality we just don't get the quality bonding time that you get with Max, being right there in the same town and all and Greg being in the area as well.   Smiley

Anyway, don't worry about me; I will be ok; no really, I will be fine; it may take a while but all is well; for sure; I'm workin on it...........   Grin

....ear....      cough  cough  cough,   opps coughed up a lung on that one.  

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 01/07/09 at 05:39:09

sluggo wrote on 01/07/09 at 00:51:48:
LANCER wrote on 01/05/09 at 05:43:47:

....ear....      cough  cough  cough,   opps coughed up a lung on that one.  

Cool

IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #11 - 01/07/09 at 07:13:48

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 01/07/09 at 11:26:37

Moses lake WA. Man The first savage I ever saw was on sprague in spokane It was in front of a tavern on Sprague and I think Flora next to an abandoned motel. Was it yours ? Anyway that was in summer of 1994 and it was a black beast with a beautiful sidecar. I was 2 more years and 1000 miles away that I first bought a savage - in Northern CA. Anyway sold that in 1998, move in 02 to charlotte NC and bought my second, third, fourth (same as the second) and fifth savages, sold #3 chopped #4 and am about to finish #5 and possibly sell it soon.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #13 - 01/08/09 at 12:08:52

Nothing to really add to this post, except I love the PA Dutch talk as well.

My grandma and her sister (I guess would be my great aunt) both have pretty strong dutch accents. It's a shame I didn't live closer enough to pick it up too.

Glad you got the problem fixed up. It makes me a little leary to tear my bike apart for the filter, muffler, and rejet stuff I have in my basement now... :-P

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #14 - 01/10/09 at 00:02:29

srinath wrote on 01/07/09 at 11:26:37:

Moses lake WA. Man The first savage I ever saw was on sprague in spokane It was in front of a tavern on Sprague and I think Flora next to an abandoned motel. Was it yours ? Anyway that was in summer of 1994 and it was a black beast with a beautiful sidecar. I was 2 more years and 1000 miles away that I first bought a savage - in Northern CA. Anyway sold that in 1998, move in 02 to charlotte NC and bought my second, third, fourth (same as the second) and fifth savages, sold #3 chopped #4 and am about to finish #5 and possibly sell it soon.
Cool.
Srinath.

not mine, phelonious maybe.  
i rode through spokane last year. on one of my yearly mountain runs. i try to ride to some mountain every season.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 03:29:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The rest of the story

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.