Send Topic Print
Battery Charging? (Read 203 times)
kelpike
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Battery Charging?
12/29/08 at 16:02:39

Someone on here stated that they bought a $10 adapter from Harbor Freight that you hook to your battery to trickle charge it through the winter. On a link from another post here I read that you need to keep the top off your battery while it is on a charger. So, is it ok to attach this adapter through the winter without taking the top off your battery?

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Re: Battery Charging?
Reply #1 - 12/29/08 at 17:23:11

Are you talking about a float charger like this one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42292

A float charger has a current limiter and should not boil your battery like some trickle chargers will.  Therefore, I would assume that you would not need to vent the battery to float charge it. Of course, the best advice would be to go to Harbor Fright and confirm this by reading the manual in the box.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 12/29/08 at 18:08:31

I own and use one of said chargers.  Mine will not actively bubble the battery and as such it could be left in place continuously.

However, such continuous charging is NOT necessary.  If you charged the battery for a couple of days once or twice a month that would be plenty to keep it healthy over the cold winter months.  Batteries only lose 10-15% of their charge in cold storage over a one month period.

If you ride the bike 1-2 times a month over the cold months, that is sufficient charge time to keep a good battery healthy.  Or you can do like me, charge it every few weeks and ride it occasionally.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kelpike
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/29/08 at 18:47:41

To be honest, I'm not sure if thats the type of charger or not. I cannot seem to find the post that mentioned it. I know it said something about an adapter that attaches to the battery, then you just attach the charger when needed.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 12/29/08 at 22:38:14

If you hook up leads to the battery posts so you can can attach a charger easily, then you need to charge at low enough current rates to avoid bubbling the battery.That would be an 'Adapter" so you can hook up a charger. If I was gonna do that, Id use the type of connectors that a cell phone charger uses. Putting the female side on the bike & the male end on my charger. I think the float chargers from Harbor freight have that kind of set up & , on sale, cost less that $7.00.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 12/30/08 at 14:04:27

Well, I'm pretty sure it's the same thing.  How can I be sure?

Yoda told me.

Grin

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1224420945/6#6

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #6 - 12/31/08 at 20:31:17

I have the $20.00 battery tender from walmart, (Bell Brand) so far so good. Keeps my battery charged. It comes with the pigtail that you hook to the battery and you can quickly plug it into your bike via the pigtail. On the left side by the air cleaner cover is a great spot to tuck the wire out of the way when not in use. Anyway if the real deal costs only 20 bucks. Why mess with making one out of a cell phone charger that'll just drain your battery as said in the other thread?
http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Powersports-Motorcycle-Battery-Charger/dp/B000HX562W

IP Logged
SuziQ

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Reply #7 - 01/15/09 at 05:39:48

I don't believe your question was answered.  Leave the battery caps on when charging.  Like Oldfeller has pointed out all that charging isn't necessary.  A battery likes a modest charge once a month for a few minutes at about 1 amp.  This will bubble and clean the plates unlike a trickle charger will do.  A 14 Ah (amp hour) battery can be charged at 1.2 amps for 5 to 10 hours or at 5 amps for 1 hour but only if DEAD.  Put your battery on charge at 1 amp for 1 hour once per month.  Also as a precaution always disconnect the battery from the electrical system when hooking up a charger and connecting to an AC outlet, especially important if there is a computer or regulator rectifier in the system with a voltage sensing wire.  Remove the battery or at least disconnect the ground strap and don't let it toggle to the battery connection, make one quick connect or disconnect.  Another alternative is to power the charger from a surge protector as you would your personal computer.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #8 - 01/15/09 at 10:49:40

I have always used  baking soda mixed with a little water to clean battery terminals...seems to work okay. Now I see all these ads for foaming spray-on terminal cleaners. Am I missing something here?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 01/15/09 at 10:56:29

I don't think your missing anything baking soda has worked for me for many years,It also good for brushing your teeth

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 01/15/09 at 15:18:38

750 milliamp charger for maintainence if fine..
i found a better way..
can o beer 4 me,open the carriage house doors fire up suzi,hook up the mp3 and watch the oil temp rise, by the time it gets up to 80c im good for two more weeks..btw lil marvel mystery oil in the gas..and youve "lubed" your carb..looks like sat will be a ridin day here!!YAHOO!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:32:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery Charging?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.