Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1987 Savage Rescue/New Owner (Read 157 times)
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
1987 Savage Rescue/New Owner
12/29/08 at 07:05:39

To recap; bought '87 Savage from guy in Cambridge MA, for $200. The bike had been left uncovered in an alleyway for more than a year and looked to be in rough shape. Due to the fine weather I had a chance to do some diagnostic work on the old beast. The battery was NFG but i thought I'd try some jumper cables to see if anything was working. I got some lights working and with a bit of fiddling, got all the lights working. Just for kicks, I tried to start her up......no luck...... but then, I didn't know about all the safety interlocks on this bike. Friday Dec 26: Jumper cables attached, kick stand up and clutch lever pulled in..........Bingo!! the bugger turned over.....Big Grin  Smiley ..... next step clean out the carb ..... Sunday Dec 28: New gas in tank, new plug and clean carb..... Jumper cables...contact.... Yeehaa! It's Alive!!!! I am one happy camper.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: 1987 Savage Rescue/New Owner
Reply #1 - 12/29/08 at 07:15:16

Change that nassty ol oil.Too..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 12/29/08 at 08:30:48

AngloSaxon wrote on 12/29/08 at 07:05:39:
To recap; bought '87 Savage from guy in Cambridge MA, for $200. The bike had been left uncovered in an alleyway for more than a year and looked to be in rough shape. Due to the fine weather I had a chance to do some diagnostic work on the old beast. The battery was NFG but i thought I'd try some jumper cables to see if anything was working. I got some lights working and with a bit of fiddling, got all the lights working. Just for kicks, I tried to start her up......no luck...... but then, I didn't know about all the safety interlocks on this bike. Friday Dec 26: Jumper cables attached, kick stand up and clutch lever pulled in..........Bingo!! the bugger turned over.....Big Grin  Smiley ..... next step clean out the carb ..... Sunday Dec 28: New gas in tank, new plug and clean carb..... Jumper cables...contact.... Yeehaa! It's Alive!!!! I am one happy camper.

Hot dog, another Savage getting ready for the road !
Congrat's man.   Cheesy

IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Reply #3 - 12/29/08 at 09:15:25

Good job, still working on mine after it sat for 3 years. Easy to work on, have fun!

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 12/30/08 at 06:04:24

Congrat's.... and welcome to the "Brought it back to life club".  Mine was a 2001 for $500 with the engine in pieces.  

It's a great feeling when it fires over for the first time.....  

Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #5 - 12/31/08 at 19:04:59

Congrats on a great deal, and welcome to the forum!

Ditto on the oil change. After I brought my '87 home for the first time, I did my idea of an engine flush:
Got rid of old nasty oil. The last of the old oil in mine came out in clumps. Really, it was stringy stuff that I was pulling out with my fingers.
Filled with fresh oil and new filter. Ride for 2-300 miles.
Change oil/filter again, ride for 500 miles, change oil once more, and on to regular, routine changes. Probably overkill, but it was cheap and easy enough to do.

FSO
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 01/02/09 at 16:42:58

My '87 sat in a garage for 6 years. I went through basically the same routine. Jumper cables-lights. New battery, rebuild carb, change oil and varoooom. I've had other troubles since, but it's in the garage right now, waiting for the temp to rise and the ice to melt. I hope to get more than 1 1/2 months of riding in this summer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:21:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1987 Savage Rescue/New Owner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.