Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
too many things to get done (Read 224 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

too many things to get done
12/27/08 at 23:12:30

I ended up getting ahead of myself thinking...eh I'll just remove the belt after the engines out....not so easy. Is there a way to do it?

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: too many things to get done
Reply #1 - 12/27/08 at 23:22:22

A 1/2" drive air powered impact might spin the nut off without a backup. But you could use a strap wrench to hold the belt pulley.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 12/28/08 at 00:11:36

Toughy, spit balling some ideas...

if you had a bad belt wrap it around the pulley and maybe a short length of sq. shaft to build up a lump that will bind with the housing.  might need to wrap the belt around a couple of times.

go to home depot and get a fence post clamp to work like above.

or sandwitch the pulley between to boards using a couple of long bolts.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/28/08 at 00:21:22

got an impact driver but not a big enough socket. tried a strap wrench idea using the belt with vice grips. Idk how much better an actual strap wrench will work. I tried the idea with the boards but they kept slipping which is why I said to hell with it and just took the engine out anyway. Will bunching the belt up damage it with it against the housing? Id prefer to sell it as opposed to scrap it. I don't need it as Im going chain drive but i'd like to get something for it if possible. As it is its in perfect shape. Good thing I haven't sold my rear spoked wheel yet. looks like I'll just have to fix the head leak throw it all back together with the rear spoked THEN start to switch to chain. I and my friend have had SO many freakin rear flats...I'm so sick of removing the rear wheel of ANY bike. I keep thinking...last time for a long time. I can't wait for the cast wheels.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 12/28/08 at 12:10:17

Remove the engine side cover, that usually gives me enough room to slip the belt off of the pulley.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/28/08 at 13:11:01

I trust you did straighten the flat bent over to keep the nut on?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 12/28/08 at 19:00:02

I am slightly curious to know why you think cast wheels will reduce the number of flat tires. All the flats I have had (and not very many, at that) have come about from some sort of puncture. I can't see a change in wheel type making any difference in the number of punctures.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/28/08 at 23:39:36

It's not that I'll get less flats but when I do I wont have to remove the wheel from the bike, the tire from the wheel(one side anyway) the tube from the tire, then patch replace and reasemble. I'll be able to just find the puncture and plug it. It's not the flats that bother me, its removing the wheel and more than that prying the tire off the rim. My friend got a flat and we had NONE of the right tools. Had nothing to raise the bike with so we borrowed a cinder block from outside a store. used the blunt end of a cresent wrench and a car tire iron borrowed from a stranger to get teh tire off the wheel. Had no patch kit so we used rubber cement and cut out patches from the suzuki tool kit bag. Took 6 and 1/2 hours from start to finish (with a an hour or so break for a beer and some food).

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 12/30/08 at 07:03:49

Last flat I had on a motorcycle was my KLR 650. The tube would probably have been repairable, except just as I stopped the bead dropped off the rim, the wheel spun in the tire, and the valve stem was ripped off the tube. No repairing that one. My tire repair kit was a cell phone, a credit card, and membership in a road service.

Easiest machine I ever had for tire repair was an Allstate Super Cruisaire (Vespa rebranded for Sears). Four lug nuts removed the wheel, just like a car. Six bolts then allowed one side of the rim to be removed from the wheel. Even better, front and rear wheels were identical and interchangeable, so one could (and I did) carry a spare just like a car.

I'm sure you are already aware that neither tire manufacturers nor motorcycle makers recommend using a repaired tire on motorcycles. Both allege that the flexing of the tire carcass can loosen the repairs, especially plugs. Of course, as an adult you make your own choices.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 12/30/08 at 08:05:01

Just popped my pulley off.
Another story of extreme measures to meet the needs of a wrench.
front and rear brakes applied, wrenching the bike forward lol.
front wheel against wall, wrenching the rear to slip.
plastic pipe in spokes, new method to cutting pipe.
steel pipe in spokes, job done.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #10 - 12/30/08 at 15:05:43

Quote:
steel pipe in spokes, job done.  

shucks, and I was waiting for the best part......

steel pipe in spokes, spokes sheared
time out for wheel rebuild

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 12/31/08 at 15:50:05

I keep telling the wife the 3/8" driver impact wrench she got at Home Depot was one of the best birthday presents ever .........   and it has a lifetime garantee...  Grin

It got the nut off.  It had to hammer for a while but it worked....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 03:21:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › too many things to get done

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.