Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Why did you buy your Savage? (Read 774 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Why did you buy your Savage?
12/24/08 at 23:24:14

Here is my story:

I was looking through a local pawn shop a couple of years ago when I passed this rather beat-up and forlorn looking motorcycle. I went to ask it why it was so depressed and it told me that it had been sitting there on the pawn shop floor for over two years and nobody seemed to want it.

I told it, “Well, let me look at you and see what we can do to fix that.” So it rolled out of the cluster of bicycles where I could take a better look at it. It proceeded to tell me that its previous owner was a moron: “Just look at what he did to my tank and foot pegs. He dang near destroyed me because he didn’t know how to ride.”

“Yes, I see that, but buck up son, those things can be fixed.”

“Yes, but the people here in this motorcycle hell won’t even blow the dust off of me every once in a while. My battery is dead, my carb is gunked up, and would you just look at my front tire. It hurts just to stay on it because I have no tread on it any more.”

“I feel for you buddy.” I said to it. “But that too can be fixed.”

“But only if someone would buy me who knows what they are doing.” At this point a small stream of fork oil began seeping down the right fork as it began to cry. “I’m sorry, but this two year old gas in my tank has been giving me digestion problems and no one seems to care about a poor old single cylinder Savage like me.”

I couldn’t take it any more. My heart went out to it and I immediately found an employee of the pawn shop with the intention of giving them a piece of my mind for neglecting this poor little guy, but instead I asked how much, and bought it.

As I loaded it up onto my truck, who thought it was about time I bought him a baby brother the stream of fork oil increased as the bike cried more but this time in happiness. Being careful not to hurt its poor abused tires any more than I had to I strapped it down and brought it home.

I immediately flushed out the gas tank and cleaned the carburetor. Replaced the battery with a brand new one and put on new tires front and rear.

“Aaahhh, that feels so good.” The bike said as I drained the oil and put in two quarts of fresh Quaker State 10w40. “Thank you so much.”

“You are very welcome, do you have a name?”

“My previous owner did not give me one.”

“Then I shall do so. I dub thee The FireLizard.”

“I like it, thank you.” I then straddled the newly dubbed FireLizard, turned the key and pressed the starter button. VVVRRRROOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!!!
To this day I have not regretted giving my heart to this remarkable motorcycle. The FireLizard has had it’s problems, but with time I have helped it solve them and I have rewarded it with certain modifications that are pleasing to us both. Such as a Road King tank, girder front end, homemade forward controls, ten inch mini apes, and front bullet turn signals.

We ride together practically every day, from just pleasure rides, to running errands, and when I am working, the FireLizard happily takes me to work and safely home again.

Before

Now

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Why did you buy your Savage?
Reply #1 - 12/25/08 at 03:16:52

Great story Yonuh! Enjoyed reading that! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 12/25/08 at 06:00:35

Ahhh, who would have thought that this great story of a man and his machine has all of the ingredients of a CHICK FLICK ?     Grin

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #3 - 12/25/08 at 07:56:22

That was a heart warming story for Christmas!!!   My story isn't as deep. I shopped around and found the Savage to be the absoulte best bang for the buck. I then checked online and found this site,as well as some review site. This site with it's great membership and techinical info on the Savage  closed the deal. One final talk with my wife, to ensure she was definately on board with me getting a bike, and the rest is history.  I| have had no regrets at all with buying the Savage.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #4 - 12/25/08 at 09:19:45

I had a big Dodge pickup that I was driving back and forth to work...round trip of about 70 miles.  As the fuel got more expensive, we (the wife and I) decided I would take the Explorer.  After all, it did get better mileage.  Last December, we decided that we no longer needed the truck and off she went...sold.  That left us with just 1 car.  We had talked about a motorcycle for a few months, but because it had been geological epochs since I had ridden, we decided on something no larger that a 750.  As it turned out, there was a Savage for sale about 60 miles away.  Price was right and the bike looked good.  We bought it, and I rode it home.  Problem was, it was MLK weekend and it was 27 degrees.  I nearly froze coming home with an open face helmet and no leathers.

Needless to say, I did survive...and now  the cold really isn't a problem.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 12/25/08 at 10:32:58

I've always been a fan of simple and efficient.... the Savage is a hands down, winner...
Thanks for the story....BTW, you're lucky,...when my girl talks back, she's a little more demanding and bossy,...maybe it's what I'm feeding her....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #6 - 12/25/08 at 11:46:02

well, I got this ...    From this ..
so I got this.... nough said.

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 12/25/08 at 11:58:02

I had been thinking about a motorcycle for years, finally after waiting a year following an accident with my 4 wheeled helmet.  Really played on my confidence.

Pretty much decided on a Yamy, then I went in to Bert's MegaMall and like sharks sensing blood in the water I was savagely met at the door.  "I'm looking for a bike" says I.  What you have in mind... a cruiser, belt or shaft drive, 500 to 750, been looking at the yamy... what else do you have?  Don't remember where he was going, but there, over his shoulder, I saw it (yes it, as it wasn't mine yet).  At the end of an aisle, spot lighted in the dark (at least that's how I remember it) echoing my dad's Gold Star, and quick look at the price tag, hmmm... this is doable.  Went home (not with it yet, one more test) signed up for the riders course and found a '96 on CL.  Incredably negociations for savage took 2 months and I had to wait a month for the riders course.  So I was ready, the all important M on the license, insurance and title in hand.  My little shedder and me commute to work nearly everyday since, and a few fun rides to put some wear on the sides of the tires.  She's even been on a jeep trail.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 12/25/08 at 13:07:07

verslagen1 wrote on 12/25/08 at 11:58:02:
....At the end of an aisle, spot lighted in the dark (at least that's how I remember it)...

LOL!...did you happen to hear something like a faint distant chorus of angels,.... kind of a "AAAhhhhhhhhhhh!" sound?....
I've heard about that happening.....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 12/25/08 at 14:28:26

Pappy rode a Harley Davidson Servicar working for the Detroit Police Department.  I grew up with riding a motorcycle 365 days a year being normal.  I was 15 when he died.  When I turned 18 and mum could no longer object, I got a little motorcycle.  Rode on and off.  In '74 I picked up a new Yamaha DT175 and started riding on and off road for the next 12+ years.  There was a GS450E for a while, and a 200 Reflex (street legal trials bike) at the end.

In '81 I started my BBS.  In '84 I gave the OK to shut down my Step by Step and became a surplus employee.  Did a few odd jobs, in '86 I took "excused time" off, in the range of eight months.   Mid June Wendy logged onto my BBS.  We married in September.  She came complete with a started family, a not quite 3-year-old.

I have my principles, especially when it comes to small children and animals.  Even the tiny risk of a motorcycle accident became unacceptable and the bikes were sold.  Replaced by a 5,000 pound '78 Ford LTD, heavy box steel frame doglegs out to protect from side impacts, along with steel beams in the doors, heavy steel bumpers front and rear mounted on hydraulic rams.  With Wendy's '72 Camaro it was our transportation through 2003.  Bike was pretty near stock when I got it, cept for the cover on the one screw having already been removed.  Needed a new rear tire.  Added a Flyscreen, Saddlebags, swapped out the muffler, taillight, headlight, saddle -- making it even better than perfect.

August '03 they replaced my work van:  An '87, I had been it's driver for 10 years, low mileage, never in an accident, V8, 3/4 ton.  The auto trans had been replaced just a year previous.  Would do 85 without a hint of shimmy or wander.  Fabulous condition.  Unfortunately MaBell no longer sold it's retired vehicles at a public auction, and I was unable to track it and buy it for myself.  Wendy had recently started working, and treated herself to a brand new '03 Beetle.  '04 saw me still driving the Camaro, which had a problem using 3rd gear.  I needed a reliable replacement.  Then Wendy spoke the five words that make a man's heart soar; "Have you considered a motorcycle?"

I have been perfectly happy riding a 175cc Enduro for a dozen plus years, but would prefer something freeway capable.  Looked for a small lightweight street bike.  I find the crouch and lean forward position to be uncomfortable, would have preferred a 400cc (give or take 50), but would settle for a 250 -- Honda's Rebel and Nighthawk, Yamaha's Virago, the Suzuki Marauder.  None felt perfect.  The Rebel's side covers poked my legs at a stop, the Nightwawk was obsolete and overpriced.  Looked up the specs online, both about 300 pounds.  Noticed the Savage, only 50 pounds heavier but with a 650cc?  Interesting.  Found a used Savage in Long Beach, went down and sat on it.  BINGO!  From then it was simply a matter of finding one at an acceptable price and getting my license (never bothered before -- have never been stopped by a cop when on a bike, 'cept that one time in Izmir.)
 Had been watching on cycletrader and saw a 2000 just south in Laguna Hills for $2500.  Saw it on eBay with a $1999 start (Typical wife says to move it NOW!)  Won the bike with a $2325 bid, Greg rode it down from Laguan Hills and I drove him back.  That was Aug. 15th, CMSP not 'til Sept.  Took it, passed, went to get my endorsement, passed the written, road test waived, eye test failed.  Left eye sees blurry movements.  Need a doctors' note, got it, not good enough, Need an on the road test, went to the San Pedro office for it.  Gentleman asks questions.  How long had?  'Bout 30 years.  Driving record?  Near spotless.  Problem?  Not for me!  STAMP!  You're good, go away.
Oct. 14th, 2004  started riding to work.  I had forgotten how much I detested being trapped in a cage.  

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 12/25/08 at 16:50:05

You wanna know WHY. I'll tell ya why. Ive had serious health issues ever since I was 28. Came within an hour of needing a complete blood transfusion, due to exposure to roach spray. After that, my ability to detox was diminished & I slowly built up heavy metals & a few other things, I had been unable to drive for over a year, got the mercury out of my teeth & started chelation & was getting to where I could leave the house for more than Just a Drs appointment, My wife thought it would be good therapy, get me out, get the blood a pumpin & get some fresh air. It was Great. I used to just bust out laughing, riding down a country road. 3 years ago, I had 2 weeks of Feeling Good. The last year has seen me on the couch for weeks at a time, BUT,,I am feeling Better again..Yeee HAWW~!!! I almost feel good enough to ride for fun. Maybe ina couple  O weeks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #11 - 12/25/08 at 20:22:50

darn, Justin, I had no idea.  Sorry to hear that man.  Hope your back on the road soon.  
My story is pretty simple.  I was wanting a bike for awhile.  Just couldn't afford it.  My roommate had her, and rode her for about a year.  Then he put her down.  Didn't want to ride anymore.  Although I was riding her less than 3 weeks later, it took us almost two months to finally agree to transfer the title.  $1500   Not bad.  She's a '97 with about 11K when I got her, just shy of 18k now, a little over a year later.  We go out every chance we get.  As a matter of fact, it's not to late and, wait, no, Christmas drunks....  Undecided   Maybe tomorrow!

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 12/25/08 at 21:00:30

Serowbot wrote on 12/25/08 at 13:07:07:
verslagen1 wrote on 12/25/08 at 11:58:02:
....At the end of an aisle, spot lighted in the dark (at least that's how I remember it)...

LOL!...did you happen to hear something like a faint distant chorus of angels,.... kind of a "AAAhhhhhhhhhhh!" sound?....
I've heard about that happening.....

It wern't no chorus, and it was kinda a Braaap! sound.  Grin

WWW   IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/26/08 at 04:44:26

Rewind to a year ago, when our emergency response group at work had an offsite drill.  One of my friends in the group pulled up on her VStar 1100, which I proceeded to admire.  After a few minutes of conversation, she said, "You know, Amy, I can see you on a bike."  I was startled by this comment.  I had never thought about getting a motorcycle.  

Fast forward to the $4 gas prices of this past summer.  My husband and I each go 30 miles one way to work and we were grumbling about the cost.  My friend's comment of last year popped into my head, and I asked my husband, "Maybe we should think about getting motorcycles."  I have never seen him respond so quickly to anything.  By that evening, he had a list of bikes he wanted to look at.  Wink

So the next day at work, I shared this information with the same emergency response group.  One of the women said, "I have a bike I'm getting ready to sell, a Suzuki Savage."  The V-Star owner said, "That would be perfect for you to start on, it's light but it has guts."  I didn't know one bike from another, but I trusted these two people.   "Oh, by the way," the owner added, "the bike is red."  Red!  As in fire truck red?  My husband and I run with two volunteer fire departments, so this was an added good omen.

So the next day the bike was brought to work and I got to try it out.  From the first time I sat on the Thumpster, I knew he was for me.  A perfect fit, and everything seemed very natural and comfortable.  The previous owner taught me just like the MSF class and I will thank her always for that, because I got off to a really good start.

There is one thing that is embarassing to admit - my friend told me that the bike weighed 350 pounds, and I misunderstood and thought he was a 350cc.  I had gone on the Suzuki page and read up on the bike, and even had found this forum, but somehow the correct displacement eluded me.  I had bought the bike, gotten my learner's permit, and was ready to ride him home before someone commented to me about what a light, powerful bike the Savage is.  I laughed and said, yes, he's really strong for a 350!  The good thing there is that had I known this was a 650, I never would have bought him.  I thought I wanted a smaller displacement bike to learn on.  It's lovely to have been mistaken about that.

That was last July, and Thump now has an additional 6500 miles on him.  People ask, when are you going to "move up" to a bigger bike, and the answer is never.   Why would I want some big heavy bike that would be harder to maneuver and pick up, when Thump gets me everywhere I want to go, and is an absolute kick to ride?

So, there's my story.  Certain events are big landmarks in our lives, and for me, getting Thump has to be one of the best - one of the purest sources of joy I've ever found.

Amy

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #14 - 12/26/08 at 05:00:03

I was looking for a bike for my girl.Almost bought a GZ250,but I wasn't happy about buying another bike when she got bored with it.I was hanging out in a buddy's garage one night,telling him my plan.He turns around uncovers a bike,and says why not this one.I didn't know he even had it.He took it on trade for some work he did.Soon as I saw it,I knew it was the one.Rode it home that night.November 00' about 40 degress,and no gear.That's the '86 I'm riding now.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 05:27:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Why did you buy your Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.