Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Why did you buy your Savage? (Read 774 times)
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Re: Why did you buy your Savage?
Reply #15 - 12/26/08 at 06:45:09

I bought mine in April, '08.  It's an '06 S40.

I rode back in college in the mid 1960s, then after graduation, and leaving for the Army, I just never rode again.  I was an aviator, and got caught in the flying thing, and still am.  So motorcycles became a thing of the past.

But for some reason in the fall of 2007 I got the bug to ride again.  I started visiting dealerships to see what's out there.

I was amazed at two things - the engine size of modern bikes, and the prices.  The price escalation I expected, but back when I rode, a 650 was a huge bike - my last bike was a Honda 305.

So I decided that at age 61, I didn't need some sport bike, or a 1300 cruiser.

The first thing I thought I wanted, as a surrender to my age, was a maxi scooter like a Honda Silverwing, but the price was outlandish.  At this point, any return to riding was a pure experiment, as I wasn't sure whether I would like it again after 40 years off.  So, no $10,000 Silverwing right off of the bat.

Next I considered a Honda Rebel.  Price is sure right, and 250 wasn't what I remembered as small.  Again, back when I rode, a 250 was a mid sized bike.  But, all my buddies talked me out of that idea.  And after using a Rebel in the MSF course, they were right.

So, looking around, a 650 S40 seemed about right - plenty of power, easy maint. (since I can't do my own, I didn't want to be in the shop every other week), and the price was right.

So, after a few weeks of intense looking, I found the bike I now own.  Happy with it, as it serves my needs for purely a recreational bike just right.  It's the right size, and has all of the speed I'll need.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Puddle Pirate
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island, NY
Reply #16 - 12/26/08 at 11:03:44

I had been out of riding for about 29 years. Sold my last bike (Honda 350CL) in 1979. Started looking for a scooter to play around with. After a little searching, decided to upgrade to a regular motorcycle. I had no luck trying to find an old Honda 350, 450 which I thought I would be comfortable on. Looked on CL and found a 96 Savage locally. Went to look at it and it was love at first sight. I liked the yellow color but couldn't make the deal happen. This was in May 2008. I started searching the internet and found a 2003 nearby . The women I called had only ridden the bike home from the dealer and then it sat except for an occassional battery charging startup.
Haggled over the price, got a great deal and took possession in June 2008. Bike had a total of 43 miles!
Been riding and loving it ever since. Not too big and not too small. Enough get up and go for the expressway and a lot of fun to ride locally. Still riding occassionally throughout the winter but looking forward to next spring!

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 12/26/08 at 12:28:47

Sold my suzi 250 30 minutes after posting it online. I looked on kijijij right away and saw the sauvage and it looked flippin' kewl. So, I called the owner saw it, negotiated, bought it, left me the keys and picked it up two days later when there was no rain ( I was a complete noob, been riding all but 3 weeks when I bought the savage so I did not want to drive in the rain).

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #18 - 12/26/08 at 15:51:31

It was cheap, close and a great size for me to learn to ride on, and had a lot of potential for custom work.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #19 - 12/26/08 at 15:57:55

My wife is to blame!  After 40 years of motorcycling I “retired” and took up commuting by bicycle for health and economy, especially since SoCal has the perfect weather for such two-wheel indulgence.  No contemporary production motorcycle caught my fancy after growing up on eccentric yet iconic marques like Velocette, Matchless and Ducati that inevitably honed my mechanical skills.  

So four years ago I got my wife a Yamaha Zuma scooter as a practical and economical commuter appliance.  It taught her how to ride on two wheels and was very reliable and economical.  Its disadvantage was lack of power and top speed.  Keeping up with traffic on any significant grade was a nerve-wracking experience with the little ring-ding shrieking its heart out.

We first saw a pair of Suzuki LS650’s in the mountains behind Santa Barbara when a touring couple parked their new machines, with suitably blued exhaust headers, at the summit of La Cumbre peak.  The bikes confused me at first, appearing like Harleys from a distance, then my memory was jogged as I remembered Suzuki made a big 650 single called the Savage.

So I traded my wife’s little red Zuma up to a black 2006 Suzuki S-40.  For a while it was a toss up against the Honda Rebel 250cc but the Suzuki looked better and certainly was more powerful.  The dealer had both on the showroom floor and the Suzuki’s purposeful, bold looks were a deciding factor.  Besides, I have a soft spot for big 4-stroke thumpers going back to my Velocette days.  I remember Panther made a 650cc single for their side-car rig, so the concept had to be sound.

I delivered her bike home after completing the paperwork and was most impressed with the light weight, relaxed handling, smooth engine, lazy, effortless torque and acceleration, clean, quiet and maintenance free belt drive and other nice touches that made for a most compelling ensemble.  Needless to say, I ordered mine shortly thereafter.  This was the perfect machine to comfort me in my mellow senior years.  

Now we have a “his & hers” LS-650 duo in matching black livery.  I tweaked mine with the usual mods: a SuperTrapp muffler, K&N air filter for better breathing with slightly richer jetting, a Super Brace to cure front end wobbles and Progressive shocks to round out the suspension upgrade.  

My wife loves her Sue-Zook and racks up mileage faster than me on daily commutes.  I enjoy hear her returning for supper with the gentle putt-putt-putt stock exhaust, unlike the tractor resonance from my SuperTrapp. I drive less to maintain the health benefit of bicycling. Even so, I never fail to have renewed pleasure from this simple machine that performs with great character unexpected from its basic components.  The sum total is a winning combination appreciated by my fellow cognoscenti who exchange useful tips on this enthusiast website.  

Of course there are quirks, like the predisposition to loud backfires on deceleration, squeaking front brakes that wear out prematurely between 2-3K, oil leaks from the head plug, rare cases of the counter-balancer punching through the engine case or exhaust valves breaking and, worst of all, rapid cam-chain tensioner failure with potential engine destruction (anywhere from 12K to 20K miles.)  Yet it’s smooth, broad power band and effortless acceleration, coupled with light handling and stable manners make riding around town a breeze.

Naturally I do all maintenance myself, although the bike is not as easy to work on as expected.  My Ducati 350cc single was much simpler.  The Suzuki’s seat and gas tank must be removed for all basic top-end work (spark plug, valves, head bolts, carburetor) and this is a chore owing to the fuel valve jamming under the frame rail.  It is best to drain the tank and remove the petc@ck.  

Even topping up the battery requires removal of the seat and both side panels.  Still, it is a lot simpler than most modern bikes that have become a mechanic’s nightmare.  On the plus side there is little to do for routine maintenance.  Top up gas (regular is just fine, although I prefer mid grade,) adjust tire pressure and change the engine oil and filter at least twice a year.  That’s about it, except perhaps top up the battery and drain the airbox annually.  

Today I took a run in the mountains to renew my affection for our bike and reflect upon its enduring personality elevating it above the usual frivolous consumer excess for more, faster and cheaper.  Hard times are coming and the LS-650’s substance over style should find renewed appreciation.  Peak oil is behind us and the days of Caddy Escalade, cell-phone addicted, air-head trust-fund bimbettes are fading fast.  We are proud to express our cultural defiance through the Savages.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #20 - 12/26/08 at 15:58:38

Been a gear head all my life but began to settle down after marrage and a mortage. Kept my last "war machine" a street racer 56 chevy but realized that the bear would never see the steet again as long as i owned it. At the same time I lost my middle brother to cancer and found a little 250 Ducati thumper in pieces scattered in his garage. Well I had to put the Ducati back together and get it running (I'm compulsive about geting things up and running) but it was a bit small for me plus I would ride it for a hour and spend 4 hours working on it. It was the first bike I had ridden in 20 years and I was hooked. So I realized that I could use a bigger bike, love thumpers and found that one of the girls I was working with had a silver '02 for sale, she didn't like a single and was moving up? to a sporty. So I sold the '56 (still miss it) and rolled the cash over to the Savage. Poor bike didn't realze what it was getting into, been wrenching on it since and have been good about keeping the torch and welder away from it so far. The score so far is Savage, four cracked ribs, one helmet, multiple bruises, tire track on "T" shirt. Rider, two sets of foot pegs, one handle bar, one head light, one tail light, one pilon, 8,000 miles. Looking forward to the next 8,000. Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #21 - 12/26/08 at 16:46:49

Dang! That's the second time I almost hurled at that pic of what's left of your leg there Tincanman! I got a 12" scar  (I tell all the girls it's my Heidelburg dueling scar) on my left femur where I had a plate put in when I was 14 due to an accident with my father ( A tree jumped out and bit our car). My leg looks like a cute puppy dog compared to yours. I bet it must've stung a little bit when they put Methiolate on it.  Cheesy

Anyway, I wanted to ride, had very little money, saw an ad in my hometown no less, for a '95 Savage for $1200. Saw the man, he started the bike, started right up, no smoke, that was it, I didn't even try to bargain for less. I've had more smiles per mile in the last two years than all the miles driven since I was sixteen.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 12/26/08 at 17:15:19

Many years, many bikes, my favorites being big singles, found myself without a bike for a number of years during hard times and then my son decides to do a good deed for his old man and knowing that I like big singles (we had stopped by the Suzuki dealer a couple of times and looked at the Savage) he shows up one Fathers Day with a very nice gift for me... a '96 model Savage.  

I like the light weight, quick handling, torquey engine and ease of maintenance; not to mention ease of mods which it responds well to.  Tweak the engine and suspension a bit for better handling and power and it is downright perky and more fun to ride.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #23 - 12/26/08 at 17:22:55

Ed L. wrote on 12/26/08 at 15:58:38:
...score so far is Savage, four cracked ribs, one helmet, multiple bruises, tire track on "T" shirt....  

O.K., I'll bite,  "...tire track on your T-shirt?"

You ran over yourself?

Although,..  I ran over my own foot once...so, I do understand... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #24 - 12/26/08 at 19:46:45

Tire track on the "T" shirt was thanks to the 2008 Tail of the Dragon ride along with bending the pilon down almost flat. It's been proven, at least to me, that the savage is a tough bike. The Metzer rear left a very distinct tread mark. Cheesy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #25 - 12/26/08 at 21:32:52

I may have posted this before, but what the hey -- it seems appropriate here.

I guess my Savage saga starts with my daughter.  After many years of pillioning with me, she wanted to learn how to ride her own bike.  One MSF course later, we heard of a friend who was selling the Buell Blast she had learned how to ride on, so we bought it for her.

Of course, any used bike requires a few trips back and forth to the dealer for parts, tires and adjustments.  While I had a BMW at the time, I found that I was really enjoying ferrying her thumper to and from it's necessary errands, and I decided that it was time to indulge myself and start thumping!

As the Blast was a bit small for me, and clearly a novice's machine, I bought a Royal Enfield 500.  Then I set about poring through the catalog of upgrade and "performance" parts.

Truly the most photogenic bike I have ever owned!  Unfortunately it had everything except reliability, and after two years of ownership it put the primary chain through the cases.  It had spent two many times riding the trailer back from rides, and with the nearest dealer 90 miles away it was not practical, at least for me.  The dealer also carried the Hyosung line, and let me trade what was left of my Enfield in on a chrome yellow Hyosung 250 "sportbike".

This bike turned out to be a LOT more reliable than the Enfield, also more suitable to my style of riding.  Still, it was a bit tall for my daughter to ride when she came back home, and just not suitable for my wife to learn on.  And the nearest dealer was still 90 miles away. So after the second time the vacuum petcock failed and was replaced under warantee, I traded it on the Savage -- actually a Boulevard S40 to which I promptly added the sissy bar and luggage rack!

OK, the upgrade stuff, along with the gel seat, a Superbrace and Hagon shocks were added after this photo, but you get the picture...

The Savage is simple, reliable, fits my daughter (and now son-in-law, too), and should my wife decide to learn to ride, fits her too.  Around town it is a super solo bike!  But hey -- I'm preaching to the choir here!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #26 - 12/27/08 at 03:49:16

I bought my current LS650 ('05 S40) 'cause I stupidly sold my original LS ('03 Savage) and missed it terribly!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #27 - 12/27/08 at 13:10:08

Why... no one else bid on it so I got it cheap (rolling frame, engine in pieces in a box).

But the story starts in the late '70's while I was in the Army.  Rode a couple of friends bikes and liked it.  The early '80's had me Jeep'in so no bikes.   In the late '80's I got into 3-wheeling and dirt bike'n.  Early '90's, sailing and marriage killed the bikes.    In '94 had a son....  can you see where this goes.. someone to buy toys for  Wink  .  In '02 we got into mini-bikes.     Then in '06 I said to the wife,  can I get a "fixer-upper" to commute to work on.  Her response, no more than $300....   Found a '71 Honda CL175  for $100.... another $250 to get it running.... but it had no title because the Estate couldn't find it in time for the Auction.  Since it was a PA bike and here in PA if it was ever titled here you had to go the hard way to get a title.   Got ready to get a lawyer to process the paperwork when the neighbor offered his '82 Honda 250 for $600.  Sold the '71 Honda for $600 cash (w/o title),  handed the cash to the neighbor.  Rode that for half a year and realized that it didn't have enough power to take my then 12 year old son and I on the hills here on the east side of PA.   So started looking for something bigger.  Wife said we could spend a grand max, but had to sell the '82 Honda.   Well,  started looking on EBay for any bike within 100 miles for $1000 or less.  Saw a few LS650's that started low but went much higher.  But.... I liked the look and the simplicity.    So, I started to look for LS650's too.    Found a 2001 in Erie, Pa that started at $450 for a rolling frame and the seller would throw in the dead engine.  I figured it had at least $850 in parts so... not really wanting to drive across the state of PA for a dead bike, I bid $600.    Well, no one else bid.   Got it for $450 plus $50 for all the parts and books not shown in the auction item.   Before I left for the 6 hour drive, I sold the '82 Honda for $800 ($200 profit , plus the '71 Honda was sold for profit to....  Cool  )
  My machinist buddy (also a biker) bore the cylinder for free and in a month the bike was running.  
  I'm happy with the LS650.  I like the looks, it got the guts enough for me, and it's already paid for itself in gas savings.
 Do I want a bigger bike....   well my son is now 5'9" and we don't fit on the LS650 together.  My wife is too nervous to be on the back.  I could use a slightly longer bike, but the money issue comes into play.  I'll keep the Savage for a while longer....  it goes good and I get bugs on the teeth (Happy biker syndrone  Grin ).

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
AzDon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 12/27/08 at 20:02:14

Of all the Harley lookalikes, this is the one that nails the styling most accurately and has all the cool parts...
My son is ready to start riding and I wanted to put him on something with Sportster cool, but weighing a bit less.
We considered the Virago 250, but decided it would bee too small too quickly. The Savage is just as light and nimble, but with 650 guts and an (almost) HD rumble.
I bought a slightly beat copy with less than 8k miles and spent some time and about $400 fixing it up and now we have a mini-Sportster that we can park anywhere ,with pride! AND we have less than $1200 in it!

IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #29 - 12/28/08 at 09:17:14

In February of 2008 I was called to testify at a civil court hearing. With time to kill before the hearing my son and I wondered into  the Suzuki dealership in the town of Lock Haven, Pa. As my son and his friend were looking at the Sport bikes and new cruisers, I went to look around the store. There in the back of the used equipment area was  this awesome LS650. In was a 2000 and only had 3400 miles on it. The sales person looked at me and said, you look like a good fit for that machine. You know how sales people can be and I thought,"here we go, snow job".Well he left without saying anything else. I'd walk away ,then go back to this same bike. After court, I went back to the shop walked in and said can I test drive it. To my surprise they said sure.Gas up and ready, they handed me a helmet and said, we close in 2 hours, please try a be back by then. Dropped a hundred bucks to hold the bike. Picked it up a week later, and it has been smiles and good times ever since. No need for a large bike,I've got a bike with a lot of heart and a joy to ride. Also great people to interact with on this site. Ride Strong, Ride Proud, and Ride Safe
                                                                  Jimmer

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 05:25:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Why did you buy your Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.