Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I think I need a clutch (Read 292 times)
fsmidt
YaBB Newbies

nulli cedo

wierum,the netherlands
Re: I think I need a clutch
Reply #15 - 12/23/08 at 07:53:17

you are right.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #16 - 12/23/08 at 11:30:50

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 12/23/08 at 07:32:04:
EBC does not list the bike in their sports bike kevlar clutch listings at this time.

Some EBC dealers might still have the 1st gen SV650 kevlar kit SRC81 even if it's been discontinued. If the SV plates are the same as LS plates, well..

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 12/23/08 at 15:55:28

I checked about the SRC81 EBC Kevlar plates and they are still available at around $ 110 for a set.  This is too rich for my blood.

Partsnmore are the cheapest plates on the web right now, problem being they are simply out of stock at the moment so I will check back by occasionally until they become available.

https://www.partsnmore.com/motorcycle_clutch_plates.php?make=Suzuki&purpose=S...

Punch the Suzuki tab and scan down for the LS650.  Then look at the part numbers and scan back up the list -- Suzuki had a standard clutch design that they put in a whole lot of those bikes and they all use the same plates.  

Wait on it and check back occasionally until they become available.  Buy a set and keep them as eventually you will need a clutch set.

Remember, Partsnmore gets $7 a plate, on-line OEM plates are $11 a piece and kevlar plates are at least $20 a plate.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 12/24/08 at 01:11:25

kevlar plates are at least $20 a plate.

Well, Yea, but I thought it was every Hot Rodders dream to have a "Bulletproof" clutch..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 12/24/08 at 03:20:32

Yeah, but you can put three standard cutches in for the same price and if you are like us and do not torture your clutch that badly that is not real good economics to the old pocketbook.

Now if somebody could prove kevlar friction plates lasted 3-4 times as long as standard plates then that would be a good deal and worth pursuing.

==================

I will likely have to replace my clutch and fiddle with my cam chain tensioner at least once before my rear tire wears out .....

(gotta keep things in perspective, you know.  For example my stock front brake pads went out at 3,600 miles, my current replacement set has gone easily twice that far and the EBC reds seem to be just about as thick as they were when installed.  So I have a forever front brake set, a forever rear tire and Justin wants me to buy a forever clutch to go with them)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #20 - 12/24/08 at 03:26:39

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 12/24/08 at 03:20:32:
(gotta keep things in perspective, you know.  For example my stock front brake pads went out at 3,600 miles, my current replacement set has gone easily twice that far and the EBC reds seem to be just about as thick as they were when installed.  So I have a forever front brake set, a forever rear tire and Justin wants me to buy a forever clutch to go with them)

Strange that some parts seem to last and some don't. I've no problem reaching high mileages with tyres, clutches, brake pads and cam chains but original Savage valve and fork seals are something else.

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #21 - 12/29/08 at 07:21:04

Scootworks says they have EBC clutch disks for the Savage.

Maybe I'll give 'em a call

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 12/29/08 at 07:28:34