Send Topic Print
Cleaning (Read 80 times)
kelpike
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cleaning
12/14/08 at 14:16:45

I searched around the site a little before posting this, but I couldn't find anything about bike cleaning. I was wondering what you guys use to clean the different components of your bikes? Chrome, seat, etc. etc... Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Re: Cleaning
Reply #1 - 12/14/08 at 14:23:43

Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream. So, far the best, and easiest polish to work with that I've used for cleaning chrome. Comes in a jar, and can be found in auto parts stores. It's inexpensive also, which is always a good thing.

FSO
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Cleaning
Reply #2 - 12/14/08 at 14:42:42

The one thing I do that is different from most is that I go to a copier repair place & buy Pure Silicone Fuser OIl. Instead of using Armorall, which has some silicone oil. I use a small paintbrush & apply a thin coat on the gasket under the tail light & a rag to apply to the other places. I want to keep it off the paint, because I want the wax to stay on the paint, BUT, I dont want the wax to stick to the rubber & plastic parts, so I use the oil on everything I dont want wax to stick to after I get it all cleaned up.We also stopped using the Armorall in the car. My wafe was cleaning & wiping the interior down every couple O weeks with Armorall. I showed her this stuff & after about 4 months it was time to hit it again. It has no VOC's to evaporate off & wont contribute to drying & fcracking, as I believe Armorall does. I paid $5.00/ pint for 4 pints. That will last us for many years. I use it on the black plastic of grills & even on the ridiing lawnmower. Spread it Thin & it goes a Looong way.

Otherwise, cleaning is basically water & a rag. If its waxed at all, that should get most of it.
If yo0u are removing tar from the forks, be gentle, dont scratch & dont allow harsh chemicals to get on the fork seals.
Spokes are hard to get pretty once theyve been allowed to get ugly.Any number of polishes can be used, the easiest method Ive found is a strip of cloth( it will die quickly, tho) wrapped around the spoke & pulled back & forth, while tensioned to bring it snug onto the spoke. I found some 1/2 wide, single layer nylon webbing, like in a leash. That lasts a long time & can even run between where the spokes cross.
Ive heard that dishwashing soap is too harsh for auto/bike paint. I dunno, but bought carwash liquid soap at the parts store, just in case.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:27:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cleaning

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.