Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
no gaskets? (Read 169 times)
oksavage

no gaskets?
12/14/08 at 11:11:40

Has anyone removed their side crankcase covers and put them back on with liquid gasket stuff and no paper gasket?  Is this possible?  I have a leak(using synthetic oil, slippery stuff) and need to fix it.  Just wondering about the need for a new gasket.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: no gaskets?
Reply #1 - 12/14/08 at 11:14:20

I did that once, it worked for a little while but a leak developed again eventually.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #2 - 12/14/08 at 11:53:18

you should buy one, why half ass it?

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 12/14/08 at 12:00:37

Thats caused me quite a bit of wondering. IF I have gasket sealer & then paper, then sealer agin, why not just sealer?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oksavage

Reply #4 - 12/14/08 at 13:38:47

it's not a question of $$, just is it necessary with all the new materials out there

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 12/14/08 at 14:30:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/14/08 at 12:00:37:
Thats caused me quite a bit of wondering. IF I have gasket sealer & then paper, then sealer agin, why not just sealer?

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/14/08 at 11:14:20:
I did that once, it worked for a little while but a leak developed again eventually.

Just a WAG, but I would assume that the paper part allows for a bit of expansion, to keep the joint sealed when the gasket sealer dries and slightly shrinks.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 12/14/08 at 17:53:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/14/08 at 12:00:37:

Because the world is not a perfect place.   If both surfaces were perfectly flat and if the pressures the bolts exert were 100 % even then you wouldn't need a gasket.  But, it's not a perfect world.  The gasket helps make up for imperfections.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
oksavage

Reply #7 - 12/14/08 at 18:24:06

I just checked on Ron Ayers for that gasket it started at $4 and after I proceeded through all the new part numbers it ended up at $16.  A paper gasket, you kidding right.  Is that a normal price?  I'll pay it if that is the going rate but WOW.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 12/14/08 at 18:37:45

oksavage wrote on 12/14/08 at 18:24:06:
I just checked on Ron Ayers for that gasket it started at $4 and after I proceeded through all the new part numbers it ended up at $16.  A paper gasket, you kidding right.  Is that a normal price?  I'll pay it if that is the going rate but WOW.

I just paid $16 for a clutch cover gasket at my dealer.  I'm not sure if I'll need it, I just bought it as a talisman in the hopes that the gasket in place will be reusable.

Like my Pappy always says, "If you wanna play, you gotta pay."

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 12/14/08 at 21:07:12

The shop I use has a gasket cutting machine. They have the layout of the  gaskets of the major players machines on software & the machine just cuts them from an adhesive backed piece of paper. I paid $14.00 for the clutch cover gasket. Watching the machine cut it was worth $8.50 in pure entertainment value, so I figure the gasket cost me $5.50. See what a great discount I got?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RadRacer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Petaluma,Calif
Reply #10 - 12/15/08 at 00:49:20

Just to aid in the questions about gasket or no gasket i did a full top end rebuild as well as replaced the clutch and the only gasket i bought was the head gasket. i cleaned all o-rings with dish soap by hand as to not get a knick all places there was a paper gasket originally i left out and used a gasket material called the right stuff available at any auto parts store for under $10 and makes 8 - 10 gaskets  . its a rubberized material that is also used in fleets and still 2 years 15 k miles no leaks anywhere even the way i ride Balls To The Wall

Hope this helps

'97 Savage stock carb #55 pilot, 1/2 spacer, #160 main,Modified Jardine, K&n air filter w/ pre-charger wrap, Nology Ign. Coil, PowerStar Spark Plug, ported head, stock cam, Verslavvy,Belt Drive
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/15/08 at 10:03:03

I ditched a crankcase paper gasket on a small Honda rebuild years ago and replaced with ABRO silicone gasket maker. Still runs, no leaks. I would do it on Savage too if I had to. But not if I had a gasket in store for $15.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:22:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › no gaskets?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.