Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pulley oil leak? maybe? (Read 150 times)
bugsville

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gainesville, FL
pulley oil leak? maybe?
12/13/08 at 09:52:52

I have noticed some oil residue in this area:

I removed the cover and noticed the inside of the pulley was a little oily and saw some build up here as well:

I am wondering in anyone has any opinion as to where this is coming from. the pulley? maybe the starter o-ring? or possibly from underneath?

Any opinions/personal experience is welcome!

THANKS!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: pulley oil leak? maybe?
Reply #1 - 12/13/08 at 10:31:15

If there is oil on the inside of the pulley, I would suspect the seal on the output shaft - the one on which the pulley is mounted. I have not replaced such a seal on the Suzuki, but if my old Honda Twinstar is an indication it isn't difficult. On the Honda I removed the sprocket, then used a wire hook to get between the shaft and seal and pulled the seal out. The new seal simply pressed back into place. The hardest part will likely be removing the pulley.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #2 - 12/13/08 at 13:20:25

I've replaced the output shaft seal once. You don't need any special tools or tricks, just be careful when installing the new one.

IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #3 - 12/13/08 at 13:20:39

Bugsville
I had the same problem. Mine turned out to be the seal washer on the speedometer cable where it goes into the motor case, it drove me crazy.
Like you I assumed that the leak was by the drive pulley, but someone suggested how gravity works. I found mine to drop oil down by the starter then it would accumulate and run across to the assumed trouble area, when the kick stand was used the oil would flow to the pulley area.
Start the bike and it would throw oil in the same vicinity as your photo's.
Hope this helps with your problem.
Ride proud,Ride strong, and Ride Safe

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 12/13/08 at 18:20:16

Jimmer wrote on 12/13/08 at 13:20:39:
Bugsville
I had the same problem. Mine turned out to be the seal washer on the speedometer cable where it goes into the motor case, it drove me crazy.
Like you I assumed that the leak was by the drive pulley, but someone suggested how gravity works. I found mine to drop oil down by the starter then it would accumulate and run across to the assumed trouble area, when the kick stand was used the oil would flow to the pulley area.
Start the bike and it would throw oil in the same vicinity as your photo's.
Hope this helps with your problem.
Ride proud,Ride strong, and Ride Safe

Yep, I've had the speedo cable housing leak as well.  Another possible source of the oil may be the starter o-ring (I've had THAT leak, too).  There is an o-ring where the starter plugs into the engine housing.  See:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1183949991/0#0

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
bugsville

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gainesville, FL
Reply #5 - 12/14/08 at 05:24:26

My speedo cable actually has NO seal in it at all, so that may very well be the culprit, is it possible that that is it even if there is no oil around where it goes into the case?

It looks like I will switch out all 3 seals just for good measure as none of them appear to be real huge jobs.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 12/14/08 at 15:49:27

You wanna replace seals that may not be leaking? Heck, I would do the easiest/cheapest one & see if that get it. If not, do another. Mess with 3 places & risk creating a leak?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 12/14/08 at 18:29:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/14/08 at 15:49:27:
You wanna replace seals that may not be leaking? Heck, I would do the easiest/cheapest one & see if that get it. If not, do another. Mess with 3 places & risk creating a leak?

+1

Clean the area up real good.  Get you some Desenex foot spray.  Spritz a bit of this white, powdery spray on various places you think could be leaking.  Take the bike for a short toot.  Check out the areas you sprayed.  If you seem some of the spray turning brown, you've found your leak.

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 12/14/08 at 21:12:16

And, as an added benefit, you'll solve the Savage's athletes foot problems.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:26:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › pulley oil leak? maybe?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.