Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Re: Gas mileage question
Reply #15 - 12/23/08 at 13:00:39

Winter gas has less to do with poorer mileage in the winter than does air density.

Internal combustion engines run a fairly constant air/fuel ratio - remember, the only reason for gas in the first place is to get the air to burn.

The colder the air gets, the denser it is, meaning more air molecules in a given volume.

So, as the air gets denser, you have to put more fuel into it to get it to combust (maintaining the same air/fuel ratio).

A side benefit is more power - the colder the ambient air temp., the more fuel you have to burn = more power output from the engine.

That's also why mileage goes up in the summer, and with higher altitudes.  Ride your bike or drive your car in the summer, up goes the mileage because the hot air, being less dense, needs less fuel to burn.  But, power output declines because a lesser air/fuel mixture is going into the cylinder.

Best combo is a hot summer day at higher altitudes, like in the Rockies.  If you can find a flat area with hot/high conditions (higher altitude also means thinner air), that's the most for your mileage, but the worst for power output.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #16 - 02/20/09 at 23:08:02

oiramagev wrote on 12/09/08 at 16:30:35:
Ive had my K&N cone filter and carb rejet done... I didnt even get 80 miles before I had to go to reserve today. That's less than 40mpg... I have a 52.5 pilot in, 2 washers in the needle valve and a 152.5 main in the carb with the idle screw at 3 turns out... Jardine slip-on.... What kind of mileage do you folks get with the cone filter and rejet done?

Mario

I checked mine for the first time this week.  The last time I had to go to reserve I immediately pulled over and got exactly 2 gallons of gas.  Today when I had to flip to reserve I did a quick mileage calculation and discovered I only got 76 miles out of those two gallons of gas.  That's 38 mpg.  I have a the 52.5 pilot (I think), 152.m main, screw turned out 2 turns, no needle spacer at all, pod filter and custom minimal restriction exhaust.  I pulled the plug 3-4 days ago and found the insulator to be a perfect tan and and the shoulder of the plug had a very thin coat of carbon soot.  The electrode looked fine and clean.  I figure the carb is set just right or maybe just a smidge rich.  I think my riding style, speed and having no spacer probably accounts for a 12-15 mpg loss.  Most riding is to work and back.  That's a 40 mile round trip with half at 65mph and the other half stop light to stop light.  I bet if I add a washer, I won't notice any change in performance but will probably get 2 mpg back.  Adding 2 washers will likely give me ab out  4 mpg back .  Any more washers than 2 I feel will start to effect highway riding.   That's my theory.  

IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #17 - 02/26/09 at 05:39:18

I hover around 65 mpg with no mods. Not sure I want to do any now...  Tongue

07 S40
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #18 - 02/26/09 at 06:00:16

Gas mileage has never been an issue with me for motorcycles.  In 20 years of riding this was the first time I paid attention.  I did basically to have another piece of info to help gauge carb performance mods. I'm sure I could squeeze another 10mpg out of my current setup if I drove it like a granny on a moped on Sunday morning.  

I think I'll leave it just like it is.  If I get concerned with mpg, I'll have the knowledge that the bike gets more than double what I get with my mustang so that's just plain 'ol fabulous to me.  

IP Logged
ghstrdr110
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Demotte, IN
Reply #19 - 03/05/09 at 19:53:07

60-65 mpg average. No mods.Only rode for 4 weeks though. mostly country highway. Still better than my '99 Cherokee Sport. Got to have it in these NW Indiana winters. got 29" of snow last month in a one day storm!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:25:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas mileage question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.