Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gas mileage question (Read 597 times)
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Gas mileage question
12/09/08 at 16:30:35

Ive had my K&N cone filter and carb rejet done for a while now and never really paid much attention to my  gas mileage till this last tank full. I didnt even get 80 miles before I had to go to reserve today. That's less than 40mpg!!! I usually ride pretty hard but i tried to stay out of it some this time and see what the mileage was like. This sucks! Im just glad gas is only around 1.59 here. I have a 52.5 pilot in, 2 washers in the needle valve and a 152.5 main in the carb with the idle screw at 3 turns out. I cant go up on the pilot cause it runs way too rich even with idle screw all the way in. I also have a Jardine slip-on. So here is my question. What kind of mileage do you folks get with the cone filter and rejet done? Any suggestions on my jet sizes and needle washer amounts? Or do i just need to quit dogging it? (Like that will happen Grin) Im gonna pull my plug tomorrow and see what it looks like. Last time I had it out it did seem a little black around the outside with small amounts of brown near the center. I also thought about running some seafoam through it. Ive never done it before so i guess it couldnt hurt. Thanks for any help.

Mario

IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Re: Gas mileage question
Reply #1 - 12/09/08 at 17:01:04

Well i couldnt wait and went outside just a minute ago to check the spark plug and it was almost white. Barely had a light tan color to it. Reminded me of spark plugs out of newer model cars that are having spark plugs changed for the first time. I knew it was a little lean cause it still pops some on decel and when snapping the throttle closed and when shutting off. Well now im a little confused. I should still get better than 35-40 mpg I would think.  Huh

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 12/09/08 at 17:03:47

Jardine slipon, 152.5 mainjet, stock air filter, IR plug, 20w-50 vtwin mobil 1, gave ~54mpg with a '95 savage over 12k miles measured as a commute bike - seldom over 4k/rpm rare over 5k/rpm.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #3 - 12/09/08 at 18:16:45

I get 50 MPG in town, 60 on the freeway but that's with a chain conversion.  You should be getting 50 or so still.  My Honda 1100 gets 40.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 12/09/08 at 18:26:21

Only look at the insulator of sparky, if she's white, it's too lean.  Maybe so lean she's missing.

Mikuni (or Suk) said most of the time you're running off the pilot jet.

If that's true, I would richen up the pilot and lean out your main.  And add a washer to the needle jet.

WWW   IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/09/08 at 23:19:56

i get pretty bad mileage too. i have a harley exhaust with a k&n filter but have yet to rejet.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #6 - 12/10/08 at 06:01:52

Pre-tweaking, I got 54-56mpg on the freeway.  After the cone filter, HD exhaust, and rejet, I dropped to 46-50 mpg on the freeway.  I don't know of anyone who's mileage stayed the same, much less went up after they started fiddling with it.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #7 - 12/10/08 at 12:00:22

Well, you don't get something for nothing! So if you want to keep your mpg, then you have to give up something. I kept the OME filter and mod with 155 main jet and HD muffler. Instead of 55 mpg on the average, I got 50 mpg and still have that available extra boost on the throttle when needed to accelerate or lane-changing. You just have to figure what your normal riding (super slab or urban street) and fine tuning your carb and exhaust.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #8 - 12/15/08 at 09:07:27

in Baltimore area as a new rider, I haven't been watching my motorcycle mileage yet, but I know my car mileage very well.  The winter formula gas and colder operating temps have cut my mileage from 28 mpg to 23.5.  That is 16% worse!

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #9 - 12/15/08 at 10:21:06

I've noticed a drop with my cage as well.  from 20.5 to 17.5   Tis the winter gas "formula"  Will effect bikes too. Smiley

Because I can!
  IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/15/08 at 15:53:05

i realize colder temps will have an effect on the mileage but when i was getting 50mpg before mods and now only getting 35mpg its just a little weird. i only expected about a 5-10mpg drop. well its still better than my truck which gets about 23mpg at the most. did i mention a hell of a lot more fun!!!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 12/15/08 at 18:21:52

You should not normally drop more than 5 or so.  I would suggest that you go up to 3 washers on the needle, 2 seems a bit much.
After that is sorted out then recheck your main jet.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #12 - 12/16/08 at 09:32:44

Went with 152.5 main, 55 pilot, 2 washers on needle, OEM air filter and fishtail exhaust with built in baffle, average about 49-51 mpg, down from 55-57 mpg stock, 20k miles.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/16/08 at 17:50:24

Im going to try an extra washer on the needle whenever i get time to do it and see if that helps. Ill report back when i get it done.

IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/20/08 at 14:28:36

well right now i have my carb torn apart and was gonna put an extra washer on the needle but i did not notice before that it has an adjustable needle. the needle is set to the 4th notch down from the top. should i still put the extra washer or just mess with the notches on the needle first? or should i do both? i also noticed that the washers dont go down into the small hole where you put the needle. are they supposed to or do they just sit on top of the small hole inside the diaphragm assembly? any help is greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:12:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas mileage question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.