Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
whitish smoke from exhaust and under crankcase (Read 120 times)
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

whitish smoke from exhaust and under crankcase
12/08/08 at 12:09:16

Hey, just went out to start my savage and white smoke.  I'm sort of stranded on campus and need to ride home - can i ride like this?

First, the only unusual things that are going on in the bike's environment - 1) it is very cold 2) I added oil to it a few days ago.  I thought at first maybe excess oil was burning but it appears actually to be low (which would mean that I have an oil leak).  3) in an attempt to mess with my hazard light switch while driving I hit the starter button and the bike died, I coasted to a stop, everything starts normal.

Concerning option 3 - I did smell smoke after I did this starter thing, but it was faint and I could've imagined it.  Again, everything starts fine.

Concerning 2 - would there be white smoke if there was too little oil?  This is the first time i've noticed it, it smokes immediately upon starting it.

Thanks a lot
Josh

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: whitish smoke from exhaust and under crankcase
Reply #1 - 12/08/08 at 12:18:52

A blueish-white smoke indicates oil,...but a white smoke is usually water.  If the cold has caused condensation in your exhaust, it could just be water.  Oil usage would indicate a problem... keep an eye on that, and study the smoke color closely, also see if it smells like burnt oil.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/08/08 at 12:25:21

I doubt it's condensation, there's a lot of smoke and today isn't THAT cold, its been a lot colder.  There does seem to be a lot of oil consumption.  What would cause oil to get into the combustion like that?

IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/08/08 at 12:27:32

also, would the smoke be coming from under the crankcase if oil was entering combustion chamber, or would it strictly come from the exhaust?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 12/08/08 at 12:35:28

Did you check your oil level with your bike level (Propped up) or on the kickstand?

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/08/08 at 12:43:36

yes I did do that, but I just went back out with a flashlight and the oil is actually not running that low.  most smoke coming out of crankcase, also exhaust.  someone just told me exhaust valve might be sticking, but i'm not sure that I understand how that would cause both sources for smoke.

I'm gonna go run it again, do I risk a lot by driving it 10 miles home?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 12/08/08 at 13:24:47

Hitting the starter while the engine is running will do no damage.  It just confuses some of the relays so sometimes the bike will shut off.   There is a starter clutch in there which is actually is a "one-way-thing-a-ma-bob".   The starter at max speed is still slower than the bike idles at so the "one-way-thing-a-ma-bob" will never engage.

So, back to the smoke.  Lots of smoke as in "kill the mosquitoes" type smoke????  Like the county uses in trucks driving around the neighbohodds and the kids running thru it,    type smoke.... ?

Or, smokke when you rev it smoke???? ( out the muffler).

Smoke from under the crankcase ... front or back...??     Does it smell like burning oil?

Smoke from under the case.....  There isn'tmuch there to cause smoke other then if you spilled oil on the exhaust pipe and it is burning off and the wind is blowing it that way....  The other possibility is a small hose located under approx the battery.  It's the drain for the Air box and it should be capped.  It drains the oil condensate from the CC Breather hose (top of head).   It the cap is off, you might get some smoke.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 12/08/08 at 13:34:30

You say you have whitest smoke coming off the crankcase.
1. either you have an active leak
2. or drippings from oil change
3. or forgot to put cap back on?

1. check the oil filter, if the o-ring slipped out while reinstalling, it will leak.  Check drain plug.
2. degrease and wash
3. replace cap.

with proper oil level, it should be safe to go 10 miles.

If it were a stuck exhaust valve, you'd hear it as in crash boom bang silence.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 12/08/08 at 14:02:03

uh, don't take this wrong please

What position is your choke button in?  (just ignore replying no matter what you find when you check it -- it is a dumb question, but I gotta ask it.  Just make sure it is all the way in ...)

Next, it is not unusual to get some whiteish smoking and oil stink from under your heat shield because you do get some oil in there when changing your oil filter.  It just naturally gets in there ...

It is normal and goes away in a day or so.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 12/08/08 at 16:05:24

j wrote on 12/08/08 at 12:09:16:
Concerning 2 - would there be white smoke if there was too little oil?  This is the first time i've noticed it, it smokes immediately upon starting it.

Hum... likely too late to ask - what does the smoke smell like?

I can't think of anything good - hole in a piston, broken ring, things along that line

So did it make it home?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/04/24 at 21:35:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › whitish smoke from exhaust and under crankcase

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.