Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Gas Tank (Read 368 times)
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Gas Tank
12/06/08 at 23:57:25

Will any gas tank work on the savage as long as i can "make it fit"? In other words are dimensions the only thing i have to worry about when buying a new gas tank

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: New Gas Tank
Reply #1 - 12/07/08 at 00:22:40

Pretty much. I installed a 2008 Road King tank, and Jack_650 has a Softail tank on his. A couple of other folks have put on Sportster tanks I believe.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/07/08 at 02:27:29

If you can safely strap a 20 gallon tank on the seat behind you, you are good to Go, & go, & go

AAAAnd go and go some more... Any tank/container you can get mounted will handle it. The only thing is, the fuel has to gravity feed to the carb. It wont suck it up out of the tank.So, keep the bottom of the tank 1/8th inch above the fuel line going into the carb & I say you are good to go.

& go, (naaah, not gonna do all that again)

Annnd Go, Sorry, couldnt help myself..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/07/08 at 02:31:42

sweet thanks for the help guys. im quite excited about this

IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/07/08 at 02:32:20

if no modifications are needed whats the estimated time for swapping out a tank?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/07/08 at 02:55:21

Well, If absolutely NO mads are needed, the it will take as long as removing the tank, which I can do without hurrying in between 5 & 10 minutes, counting getting tools out & doing everything that needs done, pulling hoses & seat,, blahhdeeblaahhh,, easy stuff. Then, put one on, You Could be done, tools put up & hands all washed in 30 minutes. BUT, I dont see that a hapnin! If there is no mod equired, then is it a bigger tank? I dont remember anyone swapping tanks & having No Mods to perform..What kind of tank are you looking at using?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/07/08 at 03:01:02

i would like to put a sportster style tank on . i realize there will be modification needed so i guess i should have asked how long it took to just remove the stock tank. but you have answered that question for me so now i have to ask. what kind of mods are needed to mount a sportster style tank

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 12/07/08 at 03:45:39

Possibly, you may have to cut off the 2 supports (the ones with the little rubber pucks on 'em) that stick out of the frame under the stock tank?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #8 - 12/07/08 at 05:44:08

If you click on the url,there is a pic how I mounted mine.The pic is huge.Like Perry said,you have to cut the front mounts off the frame for the stock tank(at least I did)or it might sit too high.I used the rear mount from the stock tank(it was junk anyhow)welded it to the rear of the tank.For the front mount I welded a connector nut(available at most hardware stores,it's a nut about 2" long)to the backbone.I have a welder,tools,etc.It took me probably an afternoon to do it,but I was figuring it out as I went.I also did some custom mods to the tank,but that's another story.Once pic comes up,click on pic.It'll be even bigger.
http://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2008/05/23/bikepics-1298489-full.jpg

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 12/07/08 at 06:28:25

You'll likely have to cut the front stock tank mounting pegs. My tank had a slot on the bottom that was wide enough to fit over the frame until 3/4 of the way to the seat. Where the frame spreads is where my tank bottomed out. As a result the back of the tank sits a few inches higher than stock. You then either install your seat under the back of the tank or on top, as I did. I'm not using a stock seat though so your mileage might vary.

I also had to move the starting pressure release(?) solenoid, spark plug wire electronic doo-hickie and get a longer speedo cable to mount the speedo on the handle bars. And then there was the extending a couple of the electrical wires. Also, I decided to leave the chrome off the top of the engine 'cause it was a tight fit and I saw no reason to have some hot metal perhaps touching the gas tank. Probably not a problem, but I do hate the sound of B-O-O-M! Nothing too difficult, but think things through before you start a step in the proccess.

Jack

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #10 - 12/07/08 at 06:33:59

Good point.If you're gonna' run a speedo.This is an aftermarket Harley one.20-30 bucks,and it uses the stock cable,depending on placement.This pic it didn't have cable hooked up.Was waiting on the new cable with the SEAL that goes against the engine side.

IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/07/08 at 11:32:25

has anyone seen a sportster style gas tank that actually holds more than our tanks by any chance?

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #12 - 12/07/08 at 11:37:46

King tank holds 3.3 gallons(I think).

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #13 - 12/07/08 at 12:44:02

All I had to really do was drill a hole through the frame to throw a bolt through with a lot of washers as spacers and cut off the stock front tank mounts. I didn't re-locate the de-comp solenoid so the front of the tank does sit just a bit higher.

Relocated the speedometer to the top and forward of the tank using some JB Weld and the existing tab that was originally for the Road King dash. Speedo housing made out of 13 ounce coffee can.

Road King tank I installed holds 6 gallons. I can get 200+ miles on a tank of gas. I have yet to actually run it till I hit reserve yet to know exactly, but I have put over 200 miles before I gassed up.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 12/07/08 at 17:43:33

Yonuh, dude, get some PVC pipe for that speedo. I took a PVC pipe connector that the gauge fits into perfectly with about four layers of duct tape wrapped around it. Then took a PVC end cap of the same diameter and cut it down to where it was just a dome to cover the back end. Used the tension mounts from the stock speedo mount to hold two little bolts through the dome end piece and then sprayed the whole thing with a plastic specific type paint. Put a U-bolt through the bottom to attach it to the handle bars and that puppy looks like store bought.

My soft tail tank is a five gallon by the way. If you put five in it though I promise on a sunny day your leg will burn, itch and smell like gas when the fuel expands and streams out from around your gas cap.

Right on with the long bolt and washers. I wrapped my washers in black plastic electrical tape to build up my spacers. Makes them look good and the tape still is hanging in there after over 9k miles in all kinds of hot, wet weather.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:22:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Gas Tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.