Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Another noob needs help (Read 441 times)
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Another noob needs help
12/05/08 at 16:34:58

OK Stats first. Bought used 1987 savage with 12,000 miles from dealer who let it sit for 3 years. Took it on as a project and bought new battery, changed oil, oil filter. Ran poorly but ran. Backfire cough sputter. Cleaned carb but found no luck. Tried to get the air fuel mix right after buying a lancer carb, iridium plug, and cone filter. Installed tach to make sure rpm's were set correct. set to 1100 rpm's. trying to set air/fuel mix and sounds good even throttle running better but still backfiring louder when hotter. When setting air fuel mix it backfires when hot all the time.  Angry Have not touched timing, TDC, will check plug soon. hints on where to start since I know some mechanics knowledge (armchair style). What things do you set first? TDC, then RPM, then Air fuel mix. Header bolts were tight, so was muffler clamp. Why would it always backfire more when hotter. hints or help. Fuel flow is good through petcock. did not use old fuel, got new when bought. Nice bike, gets some attention, mostly when I turn it off due to the shotgun I ride. Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Another noob needs help
Reply #1 - 12/05/08 at 17:20:45

Nothing to do with timing, sensor's under the left cover.  And you can't adjust TDC.

What are you doing to make it back fire?
Does it idle ok?
How does it accel?
How's the top end?

WWW   IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Reply #2 - 12/05/08 at 17:34:02

Idles OK but rpms come down in like 3-4 sec sometimes. It backfires when it turns off about 1-2 secs after shutting off. Do't know about the top end, not much highway time.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/05/08 at 17:42:44

Adjust the idle mixture screw out about an 1/8 to 1/4 turn.
that should kill the shut down kerpow.

here's a test for the main jet sizing.
find a nice hill, one that you can go up for a while at full throttle
once speed has maxed out at WOT, back off about an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn.  
Does it seem to pick up?  If so than you can go up a size in jet.
once you have idle and max set, play with the white spacer thickness till it accels smoothly.

WWW   IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Reply #4 - 12/05/08 at 18:08:37

Well I had it down around 800 when I put the tach on and put it up to 1100. should I put it back down? with my VM lancer carb he said he put a 190 jet in when he shipped it. it has stack muffler I think. I know the stock carb uses around a 152 but thats a different carb. It does slow RPM's when I get over 1.5 turns out though. Does that mean the jet is too large? Do you need to mod the white spacer in the lancer VM carb?

IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Any other help?
Reply #5 - 12/05/08 at 19:24:59

anybody else got any tips?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 12/05/08 at 20:38:35

You didn't say you got a VM carb

All dem tips is for a stock carb, fraid I can't help you.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 12/05/08 at 20:44:59

Dont run it low RPMs. The top end will starve for oil.Keep it up at the 1,000 rpm idle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Reply #8 - 12/05/08 at 20:53:04

If I keep it at 1G then what dod I do about the shotgun? Is there anything else that could set it off like that? Timing, valves, unseen hole in exaust system? A gremlin that belches who live inside?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 12/06/08 at 07:27:43

Justinmkantor wrote on 12/05/08 at 20:53:04:
If I keep it at 1G then what dod I do about the shotgun? Is there anything else that could set it off like that? Timing, valves, unseen hole in exaust system? A gremlin that belches who live inside?

Agree with keeping the idle at 1000 rpm at a minimum.
On the VM carb, the pilot adjusting screw works opposite of the stock carb.  Stock carb screw turns out (counterclockwise) to richen mix...on the VM carb the pilot screw turns IN (clockwise) to richen the mix.  This is probably one of the primary sources of frustration for you.
The carb manual covers the tuning steps for all 3 throttle ranges.

Also, you should recheck your exhaust system.    Don't just check to see if the bolts are tight, but take the muffler and header off, install a new head/header gasket and reseal the header/muffler connection and then make sure of proper alignment when the bolts are tightened.
The bolts may be tight now but with the age of the bike, if the seals/bolts have been untouched for a long period, it is possible that the seal is broken (allowing air into the system and creating backfiring) even though the bolts still seem to be tight.
Better to take a little time and redo the sytem and make sure there is no air leaking into it and causing backfiring.

There are only 2 primary causes of backfiring, the pilot circuit of the carb running lean & air getting into the exhaust system, so your solution is likely to be found in those systems.

IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Reply #10 - 12/07/08 at 10:14:38

Thanks Lancer! I must have missed the backwards air/fuel screw thing, and I will replace the header seal and see what happens. Awesome!

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 12/08/08 at 11:34:41

To check for exhaust leaks, use a candle or cig lighter.  

Hold the flame to the joints.  It the flamse gets moved (pushed away or sucked in) then you have a leak.

T Mack

« Last Edit: 12/08/08 at 19:07:17 by T Mack 1 - FSO »  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Reply #12 - 12/08/08 at 14:42:40

what would an exhaust leak cause? cuz i know i've got about 3 on mine, right after the header.

Gargle, sputter, burp and die!!! The ways of my LS650!!!!!
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 12/08/08 at 19:06:54

PipJones wrote on 12/08/08 at 14:42:40:
what would an exhaust leak cause? cuz i know i've got about 3 on mine, right after the header.

Extra air coming into a controlled space (the muffler) can cause just the right conditons to create a backfire.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Back again with same problem.
Reply #14 - 12/14/08 at 09:45:39

Well, another fix did'nt fix it. I replaced the header gasket. When I took the old one off it did look like it was getting leakage, had black soot on the port (left side) of the cylinder gasket seating area. Also felt some coming out of the exhaust header meets muffler may or may not have fixed that with aluminum foil. I think I might have to bring in some outside help, i.e. a real mechanic god forbid.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 23:26:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another noob needs help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.