Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
17 F this morning, warm hands (Read 345 times)
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

17 F this morning, warm hands
12/05/08 at 04:08:28

Ahhhh, warm hands make such a difference.  This morning it was 17 F when I left the house.  The Hippo Hands are installed on the handlebars, and on my hands I wore a combination of cotton liners, leather mittens, and a "Hottie Hands" handwarmer between the two, on top of my fingers.   Ahhh sweet bliss, one hour total ride time, warm hands the whole way.

Amy

IP Logged
redwolf
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 17 F this morning, warm hands
Reply #1 - 12/06/08 at 19:24:42

Sounds like a need to get myself a pair! Do they press against your brake or clutch lever at highway speed? How much room do you have inside them to grab your brake or clutch?
Red

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/06/08 at 19:50:00

Be careful. Such low temps have been known to cause the formation of relatively "Low TRaction" elements on the roads. Some call it Ice & most refer to it as "treacherous" or "Slick as ( here there are variables, snot, owl poop, & occasionally, people even say ICE)"
Glad to see someone with the guts & gumption to ride in that weather. I guess you & Digger( I Hope thats right, he's from Colorado, has no car) are about the hardiest among us.

Anyone want to pitch in here? Is there someone else who rides when most peoples blood would stop in their veins? I'll ride cold, but I sure do hate being cold. Never liked it, even as a kid. Throwing snowballs only lasted a few minutes, my hands would hurt more than the fun made me grin. Roughnecking in negative 10 F, with wind blowing in the teens & gusting to what felt like 40 but was most likely 20 to 25MPH finished me off for not ever wanting to be cold again. I am STill not "warm" at 30 degrees & wearing everything I have for cold weather. Underarmor, jeans, leather chaps, Insulated coveralls with an aditional layer of vinyl cloth( Remember Naugahyde?) on the torso. & another set of chaps on the outside.OHHH yea, & a leather jacket fits inside the coveralls. If it was all white I could do a Michellin comercial.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/07/08 at 10:16:00

Justin, you are too much.   Grin  I have actually heard of this phenomenon called "ice" and avoid it like the plague.  That and wet leaves are my two dealbreakers.   Thanks for the kind words!  "You know you love your bike when...."

Redwolf, the Hippo Hands have to have a bracket of some sort added inside to keep them off the controls.  When I first put them on without brackets, they sure did push against the controls at higher speeds - when I heard the familiar "sqweeeeeeeeek" of my front brake coming on, it scared me half to death and I stopped my bike and removed the Hands.

At the good advice of several people on this board, Justin among them, my husband and I fashioned brackets out of aluminum bar and fastened them onto the handlebars with hose clamps.  This pushes the Hands outwards and no more wind problems.

I also had a more simple/ugly solution before the aluminum bar - I put a metal rod inside each Hand, sewed it against the outside wall, and slipped three key rings through the fabric of each Hand and around the metal rod.  Using leather cord, I pulled the Hands taut away from the handlebars and fastened the cord around the turn signal stems.  It looked pretty rough, but it kept the Hands from pushing against the controls and that was the intent.

I can tell you that the Hippo Hands made a step-change of difference in the warmth of my hands, and my husband reports the same improvement.  Until we had those, our hands were the limiting factor - everything else was warm, but you can't ride with your hands hurting from the cold.  

The leather mittens and cotton liners are working really well, because you can get the little hand heater or gel pack inside the mitten and still have good dexerity with the controls.  There is plenty of room inside the Hands for gloves with a gel pack or chemical heat pack inside.  I was trying ski gloves there for awhile, which are heavily padded against the back of the fingers, but that did get a little crowded between the grip and the clutch/brake levers and it could be a safety issue.  A little bit thinner solution is better, like the leather mitten (Pro Bass Shop).

All in all I am really happy with the results.  I have a beautiful commute through the countryside, but it takes a good hour and I had to have a hands solution that would last that long.

Good luck to you.  If you order the Hippo Hands from Dan in Canada, I would recommend foregoing his standard brackets, which in my opinion aren't well suited for the Savage.  You need a longer piece of metal and can easily do it yourself with aluminum bar.

Best wishes and stay warm!
Amy

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #4 - 12/07/08 at 11:11:19

Well I just came it from a ride.  BRRRRR twas cold.  I normally can handle the cold, but I guess I am getting a little too old.  Came in and ran the fuel out of the carb.  I think I'll let it sit and do all the work that could be done.  IO can honestly say I have ridden in all 12 months, so maybe I qualify for the polar bear riding club.

The mrs and I have a deal...I don't ride when it is 32 or below...I saw 15 this week and was glad I was in the cage...
Toymaker

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 12/07/08 at 19:49:10

redwolf wrote on 12/06/08 at 19:24:42:
Sounds like a need to get myself a pair! Do they press against your brake or clutch lever at highway speed? How much room do you have inside them to grab your brake or clutch?
Red

Red,

I put my Hippo Hands on my Savage every Fall and take them back off every Spring.  I don't seem to have the same control lever interference issues as does Fire.  And, I have sufficient room inside them to operate said control levers.  Note that there are several different versions of these things on the road.

It is a bit of a squeeze to operate the starter button with the Hippo Hands in place while wearing thick gloves.  I like 'em and have learned the hard way that I need them for winter riding around here.

And, lest anyone get any ideas, my Savage riding (warm weather or cold) consists of short, urban trips.  I very rarely ever get on the interstate.

No, most of my cold weather riding is done on one of my big street burners.  With an electric vest, electric gloves, and great wind protection, cold weather riding can be downright enjoyable at times.

BTW, I am a casual acquaintance of Craig Vetter and his wife, Carol.  He is the original inventor of Hippo Hands (I will be forever grateful).  Check this out:

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/470MPG/Last%20Vetter%20Fairing%20P19.html

Scroll down to near the bottom.  Craig is an interesting and brilliant man.  A Great American.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 12/07/08 at 23:20:27

Firetruck, you are a tuffy,...I give out at 45'f...thin desert blood.
Be careful out there...
Serowbot

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/08/08 at 03:44:38

Serowbot, you are too kind.  I envy you, living out there in the desert - so beautiful.  I went to Tucson about ten years ago and fell in love with it, and it must be great to ride in those rugged open spaces.

Digger, I wonder if our handle bars are making the difference in the wind effect on the Hippo Hands.  I have an '06 S40 with the straight bars - do you have the buckhorn Savage style?  With my straight bars, the wind hits the Hippo Hands head on, hence the need for brackets.  In any case, I completely agree with you on how great an invention these things are.

We had an inch of snow here in lower Ohio over the weekend, which this morning has packed into ice in many places.  So, Hippo Hands or not, we are grounded today.  :'(

Be safe everybody,
Amy

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 12/08/08 at 05:53:54

Even without ice, snow or rain, the traction on frozen asphalt, along with cold tires is a dangerous mix. Seems like the tires don't grab the way they do in warm conditions. Found that out the other day when I had to hit the brakes hard to avoid a car coming at me. I was only going around 30MPH, but slid a good 20 feet. Kept upright, but still reminded me that I need to allow more then enough space between me and everyone else when it's freezing. I was only five minutes into my ride when that happened.

FSO
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 12/08/08 at 07:50:14

Would someone post a picture of a hippo hand.  I have a problem with temps. below 40 (even with full leather)
Thanks

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #10 - 12/08/08 at 07:54:36

Plenty of pics at http://www.hippohands.com/

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 12/08/08 at 08:59:06

17F   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I use to stop at 50F but I learned I can do 40F.  

One question for you  (or the forum).  At 17 F,  does the rubber in the tires get stiffer / harder???  And if it does,  do you take the turns slower, since the harder tire will slip out sooner?

EDIT: I see PhotoJoe alrady answered......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 12/08/08 at 09:10:42

I have been taking turns a little easier anyway because the roads around here need some attention.  There are some creases in the asphalt and one morning my tire chattered a bit as I took a turn.  That was all the encouragement I needed to slow down, not that I am a big speed demon at any time.  

Now that you folks have told me about the cold tires / cold asphalt, I will take it even more carefully, but the Thumpster seems to hug the road pretty well.   I can also tell you that my bike far prefers the cold to the heat when there is stop-and-go traffic.  

As I write this, there is freezing rain outside.  Bummer, big time bummer.  Anybody tried these?
http://www.mv-motorrad.de/lshop,showdetail,2004g,e,,,10107,,,.htm

Ride safe,
Amy

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 12/08/08 at 09:20:37

firetruckredbike wrote on 12/08/08 at 09:10:42:

As I write this, there is freezing rain outside.  Bummer, big time bummer.  Anybody tried these?
http://www.mv-motorrad.de/lshop,showdetail,2004g,e,,,10107,,,.htm

Ride safe,
Amy

Keep the freezing rain on that side of the PA border...  Grin  Grin

As for the "chains"......  basically what they are.   You have to like vibrations when using them.  You go bump bump bump down the road.

Also, on asphalt, they tend to slip a tiny bit more.  Remember back to school days....   those science classes that were boring.... "coefficient of friction" ....   hard materials tend to slip more....  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 12/08/08 at 10:24:32

T Mack - yes, I reluctantly remember friction loss calculations - had to do those both for ventilation class and also for fire hose...so they're going to rear their ugly head again for my beloved bike and its tires?!  There is just no avoiding some things...

Hope you don't get this freezing rain...some of the roads here have shut down...

I think I could live with the bump bump bump of those chains if it added more riding days!

Amy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:19:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 17 F this morning, warm hands

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.