Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
17 F this morning, warm hands (Read 345 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 17 F this morning, warm hands
Reply #15 - 12/08/08 at 12:32:42

I don't even like to go out in my car at the temps you guys are talking about.

Just to rub it in,...I went for a 175 mile ride on Saturday...temps in the low 70's,..had to wear a jacket!... and I really should have wore gloves with fingers, but I survived without....
Yeah,...I'm tough...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 12/08/08 at 20:18:15

firetruckredbike wrote on 12/08/08 at 03:44:38:
....Digger, I wonder if our handle bars are making the difference in the wind effect on the Hippo Hands.  I have an '06 S40 with the straight bars - do you have the buckhorn Savage style?  With my straight bars, the wind hits the Hippo Hands head on, hence the need for brackets.  In any case, I completely agree with you on how great an invention these things are.....

Fire,

I think you are correct.  My handlebars are the buckhorn bars.

I was wondering why you were having that problem!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #17 - 12/08/08 at 20:20:54

firetruckredbike wrote on 12/08/08 at 09:10:42:

Fire,

If conditions dictated the use of those things, I think I'd be on the bus!  I'm a sissy!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 12/09/08 at 03:34:08

Serowbot wrote: Quote:
Just to rub it in,...I went for a 175 mile ride on Saturday...temps in the low 70's,..had to wear a jacket!... and I really should have wore gloves with fingers, but I survived without....
Yeah,...I'm tough

You made me laugh with that!  Your ride sounds beautiful - and my question for you desert dweller is this:  do you also have a dirt bike, or does your Savage take you everywhere you want to go out there in Arizona?

Digger, so you have the buckhorn handlebars, that makes sense now.   And I was the sissy this morning...it was warm overnight and the roads are clear...but my driveway is steep and still has packed ice on it, so I wimped out.  "So close, and yet so far away..."  

Amy

IP Logged
redwolf
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 12/10/08 at 08:21:07

Thanks Amy and Digger!
Looks like I'll be gettiing a set of Hippo Hands!

I made the trip from Cedar Creek NC to Charleston SC (226 miles) Sunday night. It was 33f when I left and by the time I was in Charleston it was 26F!  My electric heated gloves(battery) crapped out around the 50 mile mark....only cold spots were my lips(from the helment vent ) and my finger tips...had to stop every 50 miles or so so my hands could thaw!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 12/10/08 at 10:47:44

firetruckredbike wrote on 12/09/08 at 03:34:08:
You made me laugh with that!  Your ride sounds beautiful - and my question for you desert dweller is this:  do you also have a dirt bike, or does your Savage take you everywhere you want to go out there in Arizona?

Amy

I used to have a DP bike...Yamaha xt225 Serow,...get it?...Serowbot?..., but I needed something with a bit more legs to keep up with my buddies.  The Savage fit the bill, and it can do a dirt road o.k. if I watch wheelspin.  If the belt ever goes, I'm gonna' switch it to a chain drive, put on some DP tires, and have a full on 60's scrambler...
Me posing with my Serow at the curve I crashed my Ninja on, going about 85mph...I flew!...didn't stick the landing though...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #21 - 12/10/08 at 11:55:26

I do a 85 mile 1 way commute on a bike. Yes NC has been unseasonally cold this year. And humid too.
Anyway, I wired my joe rocket pants, have electric tourmaster gloves, am wiring up my joe rocket jacket liner soon, and I have those ATV mitts as they call them - hippo hands but these are fabric, not vinyl and its freaking cold, but I been doing fine ... these electric things are good. The problem with buying electric stuff though ... that is an extra layer, which all by itself is plenty sufficient to get it warm, electricity not required ... and its a lot of bulk.
I had to wire up my riding suit ... and not buy a wired thing that goes under it.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 12/10/08 at 16:27:17

firetruckredbike wrote on 12/05/08 at 04:08:28:
Ahhhh, warm hands make such a difference.  This morning it was 17 F when I left the house.  The Hippo Hands are installed on the handlebars, and on my hands I wore a combination of cotton liners, leather mittens, and a "Hottie Hands" handwarmer between the two, on top of my fingers.   Ahhh sweet bliss, one hour total ride time, warm hands the whole way.

Amy

Well Amy, you put me to shame  Sad
I wont go on the bike once it goes under 50 degrees.   Embarrassed
Please be careful out in that kind of weather.

IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 12/11/08 at 03:52:13

Serowbot - great pic and I love your xt225.  I wondered about your name - I thought Serows were nimble sorts of antelopes, but didn't know until recently that there was a bike by the same name.  Glad to know your Savage can serve as a DP!  I am longing for a DP ever since I rode the DR200SE in MSF class - what a zippy little bike that was, and it just hugged the ground.

You are fortunate, my friend, to still be among the living, after crashing your Ninja at 85 mph! and then to be t-boned earlier this year!  Clearly someone is watching out for you...you must have built up a great deal of good karma.  

Redwolf, sorry your electric gloves failed you on a long trip - that's hard, when you have to stop frequently to warm up.  I used to sit at red lights and put my hands on Thump's big cylinder. Grin  Good luck with the Hippo Hands!

Srinath, that sounds like the Ultimate Solution, that you have - sounds very toasty!  I admire that you have the wiring figured out - a fellow here at work gave up, fighting with his wires every morning.  He got a big BMW with all the fairings and is cocooned now.

Flcruzr, I promise to be careful.  It is maddening right now because it keeps raining and then freezing at night, so there is a thin sheen over everything.  The cage is getting an unaccustomed workout.  Maybe tomorrow!

What a great bunch you all are!  Happy Winter Riding - and happy desert riding to the lucky Serows among us.

Amy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:27:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 17 F this morning, warm hands

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.