Send Topic Print
no muff (Read 170 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
no muff
12/03/08 at 17:34:37

how bad is the noise level and performance on the savage if running without a muffler?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: no muff
Reply #1 - 12/03/08 at 17:42:30

Harsh-LOUD; very poor performance

IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #2 - 12/03/08 at 19:09:07

LOUD wont run for crap

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 12/03/08 at 19:41:01

Easy way to find out is to get up about 4 am Sunday, go down to the garage, remove the muffler and fire it up and take it for a spin around campus.  By the time anyone gets dressed and comes after you you can be parked and back in your room.   Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #4 - 12/03/08 at 19:56:24

I took it off at work one night to show the guys. Security called the police on us. Two guys had hearing problems the rest of the night, and one got a fire ball tossed at him lol.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 12/03/08 at 21:23:19

Paladin. wrote on 12/03/08 at 19:41:01:
Easy way to find out is to get up about 4 am Sunday, go down to the garage, remove the muffler and fire it up and take it for a spin around campus.  By the time anyone gets dressed and comes after you you can be parked and back in your room.   Roll Eyes

Used to fly r/c planes with a buddy of mine back in college.  My 'buddy' says he's got to get up in morning and go to work but wants to fly before he goes.  I protest 'to early' he says got to, oh alright.  Get it started takes off and cuised around.  Security pulls up, guy gets out with a big grin on his face, says all the kids with hang overs want me arrested.  He'll settle for landing it, I says have to run it out of gas, won't stop otherwise.  He says ok.  I throttle it back so a ten minute flight became 20.  He was real happy about it.  waited till I put everything away and drove away.  His parting shot was 'same time next week?'   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 12/04/08 at 06:38:45

At Tech School in Biloxi I had a little 1/2A control line plane.  24" solid wing.  Strapped a four AA battery pack to the wing to run lights for flying at night.  I had the fuel tank of the .049" engine cascaded to a 2 ounce wing mounted tank.  Should have lasted 20-30 minutes.  The plane was so overloaded for the engine that I needed a lap and a half on the ground to get to take off speed.

I was B shift, so after lights out for the A shift I fired that puppy up in the middle of the squadron.  A Rope came out to tell me to shut it down, and as above was granted permission to finish that flight as the alternative was to crash the plane.  Unfortunately, after a couple of minutes the engine ripped loose from the plane.

WWW   IP Logged
Chong Kim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SantaFe, NM
Reply #7 - 12/04/08 at 08:52:10

I run my Savage with a 7 inch chrome extension on the header pipe. Rejetted and "uncorked" with high-flow filter, it runs great and certainly has no less performance either on top end or acceleration. It was actually pretty good when just the stock filter and jets were in. The bike idles fairly quietly, but when I get on the accelerator it sounds awesome - just like the antique 1948 500 Norton Big Single that we sometimes meet up with at a local coffee shop. That's where I got the idea for mine.

I'm at 7,000 feet in altitude, so that may make some difference in performance from what others have reported. Backfires are controlled by a light hand on the throttle when slowing. I don't just crack it shut unless I really need to.

If you don't have any noise ordinances or smog requirements, why not give it a shot? If you don't like what you end up with, you can always change it back.

Mine went through a progression from the stock muffler to a Sportster muffler, to the extended header. I have found with each increase in noise there was an increased level of awareness from cagers in heavy traffic. "Loud Pipes Save Lives" seems to be true in my experience.

By the way, I could have paid $50 for a Vance and Hines extension, but chose instead to use a $6.95 one from Pep Boys. We have them on three bikes now. A 1983 Goldwing, a 1990 VX800, and my '98 Savage. All work great. Mine is the quietest of the bunch, and was the easiest to install. One cylinder has its advantages sometimes, LOL!

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #8 - 12/04/08 at 09:26:17

what is the exact MM size on the header?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #9 - 12/04/08 at 16:25:19

i bought a striaght fishtail pipe for mine, after putting it on and starting it up, i quickly took it back off. i have an se slash cut muff and it sounds really good. let me also say i like loud bikes, but the straight pipe would be unbearable.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 14:44:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › no muff

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.