Send Topic Print
Newbie needs Help (Read 92 times)
Crowbar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbie needs Help
12/02/08 at 20:24:01

I am a newbie to this board and to my 2004 Savage. I have two Honda VTX1800F and a Honda Rebel along with a Yamaha TTR90. I just bought a 2004 650 Savage yesterday. It has 1042 miles on it and it also has a problem. It will not run or idle without the Choke being out. The factory ilde mixture plug has been removed from the carb at some point. The bike set for a period of time and then when the owner decided to sell it, took it to the dealer to get it running. That is most likely when the idle mixture plug was removed. Anyway I could use some advice from you guys. I am a wrench but I need to know where to start. Thanks for any advice offered

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Newbie needs Help
Reply #1 - 12/02/08 at 20:47:53

sitting, ...  I'd pull the carb and clean the heck out of the passages and jets,...carb cleaner, compressed air, if you got it,...an .011" guitar string works great for clearing passages...there's a couple tiny ones just in front of the throttle plate that are important for smooth idle...
Then she'll run fine...

Welcome, Crowbar...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #2 - 12/02/08 at 22:28:37

If the plug has been removed, that suggests a different jet has been installed. It seems that is doubtful at the milage specified. As a start, set the screw at 1.5 turns from the closed position. You might have the screw in to less than 1.5 turns. Turn it out a little more to see if improvment occurs..
In my case, when I installed the new jet and needle(Dynojet) and set the screw at 1.5 turns, I didn't need the choke at all if I ran the bike every day. If the bike sat for 3-5 days then I would need the choke to get started.
The other thing that can cause the need to add more fuel is an air leak in the intake manafold. Check to be sure the manafold between the carb and engine are not leaking air. Tighten fasteners. Check the rubber for holes.
Try to find out what work has been done on this carb by the previous owner.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/02/08 at 23:37:54

a 1000 miles over 3 years is not enough to keep the carb clean.

and with the plug removed no tellin' what been done to it.

so best tear it down do a good cleaning and get to know her.

or a couple ounces of seafoam in the tank and burn a couple of tanks off like a raped ape, should be good then.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 12/03/08 at 04:33:13

verslagen1 wrote on 12/02/08 at 23:37:54:
a 1000 miles over 3 years is not enough to keep the carb clean.

and with the plug removed no tellin' what been done to it.

so best tear it down do a good cleaning and get to know her.

or a couple ounces of seafoam in the tank and burn a couple of tanks off like a raped ape, should be good then.

Yep, after sitting that long you can pretty much guarantee that the smallest passages are clogged with leftover fuel gunk.  Tearing it down for a complete cleaning is the only way to be sure you have done right and will likely save you time & frustration in the long run.    Wink

IP Logged
savagespence

NEEEWBIE!!

Nashville,TN
Reply #5 - 12/03/08 at 20:59:59

I concur with Lancer just ask him how bad my carb was when it arrived at his house HAHAHAHA!!

1996 Savage no mods YET..
savagespence   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:30:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie needs Help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.