Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tire goodrich 155/80-15 (Read 326 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Tire goodrich 155/80-15
12/02/08 at 20:03:10

It's posible !  I just put a 155/80-15 GOODRICH  RADIAL TA   on the back of my savage.  No mods nessary...It seated at 76 psi  with half and half dishwashing soap, water.  I did bring it up to 50 psi to day befor and left it sit overnight to stretch a little.  If it were any bigger it would catch the bolt heads holding the crome things on the side of the fender.  There is about a half inch clearence on the belt side and three fourths on the high side,  there is almost an inch to the middle of the swing arm.  The only delima is "what about one side being raised white letter and the other side black letters?"
Though ya'll might use this information.  

The mitchlin 145r-15 I replaced needed over a 100 psi (guage only goes to 100) to seat and latter developed a BUBBLE  in the side wall.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Tire goodrich 155/80-15
Reply #1 - 12/06/08 at 14:08:08

Gasp!  Oh my goodness!

That's a car tire!  On the back of a motorcycle no less!  

Don't you know that isn't safe, that you will slide over on that thing just as soon as you try to go around a corner?

Grin   Grin   Grin

===========

Give us a ride report, oh you experienced Darkside rider you.  You must tell the story of first "getting your hindbrain used to it" and the story of what a full lock emergency sliding stop sounds like.  Tell the youngsters what they have to look forward to, if they can survive mounting their tire that is.

Leaving your pressure jacked up over 35 psi can do some internal damage to a tire if it is left that way for very long.  50 lbs it certainly too much to leave that way for very long.

Don't forget to write down the date and your odometer mileage on the inside of your fender with a sharpie pen so you can eventually report how long and how many miles you got, assuming you don't throw another sidewall bubble from running too much air pressure in your tire again.

And for the rest of you, you who are going to put yet another expensive bike tire on the back of your Savage this summer, I have a special message for you from the founding father of the Darkside Boys

yeah, ol' dangerous Freddy's singing to you again ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMenB9Ywh2Q&feature=PlayList&p=4BF32CB8D7FA620...

« Last Edit: 12/07/08 at 01:57:41 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 12/08/08 at 07:20:45

Hi Oldfeller

yea I've done it again.  The mitchlin  ZXZ 145r-15 went 9,636 miles and still had 2/3 of the tread left.  The ZXZ took some getting used to, the way it fit the rim left the tire sitting flat as a board against the road.  After a couple hundred miles I was dragging the pegs on the road I live on (129 out of Lynchburg TN). yee/haa

The 155/80-15 BF GoodRich TA has been a different story from the start.  It mounted easly and fits with a slight rounded profile (It FELT LIKE HAVING A BIKE TIRE AGAIN) and took no getting used to.  Due to weather I have only one short (15 mile) + freezing trip on this one , But it felt surefooted and stable just as much as any tire I've be on (39 years of riding)

I have read other DarkSiders sugesting riding 35 to 40 psi ??? is that going to get the sidewall of this on too.  I supected the seating priesure came back to haunt me on the first one.  I've never worked in the tire industry , just what I read (limited)

I'll go to rubber side down next time, should I try to restart there now?

new_tire.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 12/08/08 at 07:23:49

Side clearence

tire___belt.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 12/08/08 at 07:32:22

side view 155/80 -15

Foster_Falls_Hike_Nov-08__155_80_15_2_052.JPG

mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 01/27/09 at 05:06:37

Nice tire but it looks awfully underinflated...  Huh

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 01/27/09 at 15:41:28

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 12/06/08 at 14:08:08:
Gasp!  Oh my goodness!

That's a car tire!  On the back of a motorcycle no less!  

Don't you know that isn't safe, that you will slide over on that thing just as soon as you try to go around a corner?

Grin   Grin   Grin

WOW!!  Slide over as soon as you try to go around a corner?  What idiot ever said anything like that?  Everyone knows that a car tire is every bit as good as a motorcycle tire.  You don't need a tire that curves to match the lean of the motorcycle.  You don't need a softer stickier rubber.  

You also don't need to wear leather, nor a crash helmet.  The unexpected will never come up and you will never need that tiny margin of safety provided by a tire designed for a motorcycle.

If you run thousands of miles every year and want to save a few bucks, go ahead and use a car tire.  But to imply that a car tire will give you the traction of a motorcycle tire would be criminal; if anyone was stupid enough to believe it.

WWW   IP Logged
rodeoman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/28/09 at 01:00:13

why do you want to use a car tire? I'm a "newbee" but wont you sacrifice safty and handling and saftey? I run a 150 moto and it turns a little harder, do you know somthing I don't???? I try not to do many mods that dont ether: stop, go, or TURN better. please explin the choice I want to learn!!

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #8 - 01/28/09 at 06:39:02

rodeoman wrote on 01/28/09 at 01:00:13:
why do you want to use a car tire? !!

Mileage.

A car tire is made with a flat bottom and harder rubber.  While upright the car tire is actually a better choice as the wider contact gives traction without having to resort to soft rubber.  The harder rubber wears a LOT slower.  For touring and long distance commuting where you are putting on 10,000 miles or more every year, nearly all upright, a car tire will save you a hundred+ dollars a year.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 01/28/09 at 14:54:12

That's a hundred dollars a year ..... for 4-5 years.   And some of us who have actually done it keep saying you can go around corners just fine.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #10 - 01/28/09 at 15:09:24

I know you keep saying that.  But do you have the same margin of safety that a motorcycle tire will give you?  Answer:  No.  Not physically possible.  That is why motorcycle tires are made the way they are.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 01/28/09 at 16:58:11

Paladin. wrote on 01/28/09 at 15:09:24:
I know you keep saying that.  But do you have the same margin of safety that a motorcycle tire will give you?  Answer:  No.  Not physically possible.  That is why motorcycle tires are made the way they are.

In general, motorcycle tires offer the most for motorcycles.
Otherwise those boys with knee sliders would be using them.
But, for the more sedate that end up with a flat bottomed tire wouldn't it be better to start out with one?  
And for those that do, do you end up with round bottomed tires?

Besides, when I was taught to ride, they told me to straighten up to panic stop.  Here's where the flat bottomed tire will excell.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #12 - 01/29/09 at 06:48:04

I was taught to avoid panic stops.  In the MSF course they taught, that when in a turn, to straighten up and then brake -- which got a silent WTF from me.  I regularly accelerate/brake when leaned over.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 01/29/09 at 08:09:35

yes, but you know how to do them right?
of course, we do what we have to do then live with the consequences.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #14 - 01/29/09 at 09:35:08

A true panic stop is one of those "I know what I should do or would like to do" things.  Those things where you surprise yourself when the trigger event actually happens.  You can practice all you want, but until the event comes and it is time to react you cannot know how you actually will react.

www.m-w.com:  Handicap:  1 a: a race or contest in which an artificial advantage is given or disadvantage imposed on a contestant to equalize chances of winning....

When you are too good, you are given a handicap to equalize you down to normal standards.  When it comes to motorcycle handling, a car tire is a handicap.  If you are good, it doesn't matter.  I'm not that good.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:25:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire goodrich 155/80-15

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.