Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tire goodrich 155/80-15 (Read 326 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Tire goodrich 155/80-15
Reply #15 - 01/29/09 at 11:40:10

Huh I don't know where you are going with that line of logic.

point is most people will try to straighten out the bike when a panic stop must be initiated.  This is to minimize sliding to the side and low siding.

Car tires are made to follow uneven surfaces and roll laterally in turns to keep a maximum contact patch.  Cars have negative camber on the outside wheel to counter this.

So for most people, trained to straighten in panic stops and tires that will maintain a larger than m/c contact patch up to a minor turn (less than 15° lean) a car tire is an advantage.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #16 - 01/29/09 at 15:24:03

verslagen1 wrote on 01/29/09 at 11:40:10:
Huh I don't know where you are going with that line of logic.

point is most people will try to straighten out the bike when a panic stop must be initiated.  This is to minimize sliding to the side and low siding.

Will they?  Just because they were told to do so in class doesn't mean they will.  Even practicing panic stops does not mean you actually will straighten up and stop when in a real panic.  I have absolutely no idea of what I would actually do in a panic situation.   And I rather NOT find out.  Just as I would rather not find out how fast I can take a turn.

Quote:
Car tires are made to follow uneven surfaces and roll laterally in turns to keep a maximum contact patch.  Cars have negative camber on the outside wheel to counter this.

So for most people, trained to straighten in panic stops and tires that will maintain a larger than m/c contact patch up to a minor turn (less than 15° lean) a car tire is an advantage.

Contact patch is not the only varible when it comes to traction.  The psi loading on that patch matters, as does the stickyness of the rubber.  But I'm really not concerned with straight line performance.

My riding involves quite a bit or turns, often over painted lines on the pavement, and often when those lines are damp.  I have felt my tires cut and grab at times, which tells me I'm pushing the limits a bit too close.  I would rather not give up the margin of safety of riding on motorcycle tires for the economics of a car tire.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 01/29/09 at 16:00:19

Some day the tire companies will find out its better to have flat bottom tires on motorcycles instead of round,they been wrong for so many years now,almost 100 years.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 01/29/09 at 16:35:35

Those who have tried it know the answers to these questions.  

Those that have not (and will not) ever try it raise objections and will not listen to those who can answer the objections that have been raised.

You don't lose wet traction when braking in any relatively upright position wearing the car tire.  I don't generally brake hard when leaned way over when its raining, so I can't really speak to that scenario.  (didn't do it on bike tires either).  

I know I have better upright wet braking traction on the Savage with the car tire than I do on the XV535 wearing the bike tire.  (fact, notice it every six months or so when I get caught out in the rain on the XV535)   The bike tire on the XV535 seems better than the stock Savage IRC tire was on the Savage, but hey -  that was a while ago for me and memory gets faint after what, nearly 2 years riding on the car tire now.  

Each summer when we go on the mountain Dragon Run I let the guys all ride my bike and squall the rear tire some -- ask them what they think.  This summer there will be a bunch of 'em, too.   Maybe we'll do a braking contest this year (tire brand comparison against my 2+ year old cheap $34.95 chungfooie VW tire).

I have better dry braking traction on the Savage on dry clean pavement than I do on the XV535 with the bike tire.  Car tire is noiser, but gives better, shorter stopping distances.

You got 5-6 people on the list riding a car tire on the back now every day,  seems if someone had noticed handling issues wet or dry they would have said something by now.  

And they have all remarked about the improvement in dry braking performance when they first put the car tire on.   So far, comments have been favorable to the car tire.

=========

And please remember, nobody is holding a gun to your head.  Teasing you some, yeah.  You are due a little bit of teasing every time you drop that hundred plus dollars unnecessarily.  (time after time after time)  

But hey, it is all good humored teasing.

Hey, it's your money and its your butt -- please do with them what you feel is appropriate.

Can't get much more personal freedom-wise than that.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 09:38:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire goodrich 155/80-15

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.