Can't start my bike (Read 57 times)
Yunus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Can't start my bike
12/02/08 at 06:21:22

Hi,

This is my first post, I just got my 2001 Savage about a month ago and it's my first bike so forgive the novice mistakes.
My girlfriend took the bike to teach yesterday in the morning and everything went fine, then when she left school it wouldn't start, it only makes a quiet rapid fire click-y noise and wont turn over.  I asked her if she turn the key to off and not to park when she left the bike in the morning and she wasn't sure, she didn't know that the park left the light on, so I figured the battery died.  I tried jumping it this morning, my bike has a kit that  lets you just plug into the battery, you don't have to connect the leads right to the bike.  Anyway, I tried that and now it won't even make a click-y noise and the headlight is really dim.  Any advice?  I'm in a new area with no tools and no other means of transportation, I'm actually in my girlfriend's elementary school computer lab now.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Can't start my bike
Reply #1 - 12/02/08 at 07:18:32

Sounds like you have a dead battery.  And if it didn't start with a jump, could be bad.  You could take it to some place like autozone and they'll test it for you, but they will tell you it should be charged overnight before the test.
If you have the tool kit on the bike you can take the battery out and take to a service station for a charge.
And you can try push starting, with a completely dead battery might be a little difficult for a newbe.  put in 3rd, back it up till you feel a compression stroke, pull the clutch in, run it up to speed and pop the clutch.

WWW   IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 12/02/08 at 07:22:30

If all else fails and it wont start w/ conventional means, you can try to push start it.  Just get it moving as fast as you can, jump on, put it in gear and pop the clutch and give it some gas.  Hopefully it will have enough juice to get it going.  It's the same method as push starting a car w/ a manual transmission. HTH

IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #3 - 12/02/08 at 07:34:43

I second the dead battery - same thing mine did. just get a new one. its not worth messing with.

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 12/02/08 at 08:14:28

I bought a big crank found here: http://www.bigcrank.com/motorcyclebatteries.mv?c=motorcycle-suzuki-650-L650SA.... The only modification I had to do was bend the cable tabs to fit on the terminals. Took a few minutes.

But yeah, I agree that it sounds like a dead battery. With everything that could go wrong, this is a piece of cake. Still sucks, but better than dealing with something like a trashed starter.

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:26:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can't start my bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.