YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Exhaust
11/29/08 at 18:48:26

I have just acquired an 87 Savage and I have two dislikes about the muffler:
1) The last six inches has road rash down the side
2) It's a bit docile and quiet compared to my Sportster

What I'm thinking about doing is slash-cutting the last six inches off and pulling the guts out....
Questions:
1) Are the guts of the muffler attached anywhere else up inside the muffler, or attached only at the rear?
2) If I open up breathing like this, will tuning/operational/drivability problems be created?
3) has anybody else tried this and what were the results?

IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Re: Exhaust
Reply #1 - 11/29/08 at 19:06:27

better off going to a HD dealer and getting a DYNA pipe for 25 bucks.

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/29/08 at 19:09:00

You can save the muffler & get a muffler off a Harley for around $20.00. My personal choice for good looks is the Dyna. If performance is your dream, buy a cam from Lancer & put a Supertrapp on it.\\
No idea what your carb has in it for jets. Some years they put jets in that could keep the mixture rich enough to mod the airflow rate & not have to rejet. The newer ones are lean from the factory. If you dont open the intake up, then the intake wont flow more into the cylinder than before( Im guessing here, Im sure someone around here can fill in the blanks I am leaving for you Greyhead.& they can correct the places Im just wrong on..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/29/08 at 19:14:33

I see the Tinman got in while I was typing.

Ohh, you hate something else about that muffler thats on right now. It weighs about 3 times what it needs to.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #4 - 11/30/08 at 02:58:36

Quote:
Ohh, you hate something else about that muffler thats on right now. It weighs about 3 times what it needs to.

another fine point. nothing like a bowling ball you dont need........

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
zulufu2
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/30/08 at 11:27:45

So if I walk into my local harley dealer and tell I want a Dyna muffler he will know what I need??  I assume this is for the Dyna low rider??  I have a 2005 s40 I am readying for my daughter to ride and would like for a little more sound.  Thanks for your forebearance, I have just had it a few days and am starting out with it.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 11/30/08 at 11:46:00

You want a Harley Dyna or Sportster muffler with no crossover, preferably a rail mount but a tab mount will do.

Some Harley dealers are a-holes,...the one here refused to sell me one.  I bought mine on e-bay.  $30.00 for a pair...w/shipping

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 11/30/08 at 14:50:41

Yea, you can walk into a HD dealer and ask the parts guy for a Dyna take-off,  the first thing they will ask is "What Model???".  

Be prepared,  do some research on Harley Dyna models and their model numebrs.  Dyna Super Glide & Dyna Wide Glide.

If you walk in and say it's for your LS650, they have a tendency to get up-tight and become as.holes.    

I have a Dyna SE Clone turn-out.  It was almost a straight thru muffler.  So loud I decided to modify a Drag-Specialties baffle to mellow it out a bit.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
AzDon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/30/08 at 18:01:28

Well..... I decided to try to answer a few of my questions....
First, I removed the muff and looked into it from both ends-- it has several walls inside and the chrome outer is a skin, so I'm glad that I didn't just take a cutting disc to it. No, it can't easily be hollowed out and the cut end can't be finished.
Next, I took it for a ride to check for performance/drivability problems.... Although very loud, it seemed to have 1/3 more power and performance... and a decel backfire that sounds like gunfire!
After that, I measured the headpipe for an aftermarket muffler.
The pipe OD is 2" and necks down to 1 5/8" and has a 1 3/4" ring around this smaller part. Farther back on the 1 5/8 part a 3/4 wide strip of brass foil was wrapped around the end of the pipe like a piece of electrical tape to a thicness of 1 7/8" diameter. I made a slshcut straight out of 1 3/4" OD muffler pipe, but am unable to tighten it at present. I think I'm going to make another straight pipe out of 2" ID muffler tubing. I'm going to hafta install some kind of muffler on it before putting my son on it so he doesn't get into trouble, but for now.... Cool

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 12/01/08 at 06:15:14

Harley Dyna mufflers are considered 1 3/4".  They fit on but you need to add some thin sheet metal to fill the gap between the metric pipe and the SAE muffler.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #10 - 12/03/08 at 07:15:53

I did took the stock muffler off mine and replaced it with about 10" or straight pipe Ig ot from my local parts store. After a short ride and some creative intake work.... the backfire is dull compared to what it could be definately might want to think about a weld-on if you are gonna go straight pipe-no baffle! Worked for me!

Oh.... and there isn't a Harley in my county that is as loud as my bike! I love it!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:09:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.