Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 91
Send Topic Print
2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip (Read 17784 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2009 Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #75 - 01/04/09 at 04:16:06

http://www.dealsgap.com/motel.htm

Here is the hotel information.  We need an exact date we will be staying the night and four (4) people to agree to split one of the apartments ($24 each for 2 bunk bed sets and I claim a bottom bunk) or we can go 3 people into a standard room (at $27 each) and I claim either the bed or a bottom bunk.

(a married couple could claim the double bed if they wanted, I don't think I'd want to get all that close to any of the rest of youse guys after a day of hard sweaty riding, enough to share a double bed with you)

In any case, we need to spit firmly on the night we will be there as hotel room reservations are not refundable and if you want a room I would be planning to make a reservation just as soon as we can get a firm date.

If you plan to camp, you need to plan to get there early as it is first come first serve on available spaces and they are charging $13 a person for camping in any case.  The hotel bed sounds better to me in any case as there is much less to carry on your bike that way and a nice hot shower and AC/heat comes with it.

Ah, the glories of just getting up, showering, getting dressed and getting on the uncluttered bike to go get breakfast -- no breaking down a tent and folding it up and packing it on an overcrowded bike.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #76 - 01/04/09 at 05:10:46

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/04/09 at 04:16:06:
http://www.dealsgap.com/motel.htm

Here is the hotel information.  We need an exact date we will be staying the night and four (4) people to agree to split one of the apartments ($24 each for 2 bunk bed sets and I claim a bottom bunk) or we can go 3 people into a standard room (at $27 each) and I claim either the bed or a bottom bunk.

(a married couple could claim the double bed if they wanted, I don't think I'd want to get all that close to any of the rest of youse guys after a day of hard sweaty riding, enough to share a double bed with you)

In any case, we need to spit firmly on the night we will be there as hotel room reservations are not refundable and if you want a room I would be planning to make a reservation just as soon as we can get a firm date.

If you plan to camp, you need to plan to get there early as it is first come first serve on available spaces and they are charging $13 a person for camping in any case.  The hotel bed sounds better to me in any case as there is much less to carry on your bike that way and a nice hot shower and AC/heat comes with it.

Ah, the glories of just getting up, showering, getting dressed and getting on the uncluttered bike to go get breakfast -- no breaking down a tent and folding it up and packing it on an overcrowded bike.

Shower ... a/c ... bottom bunk ... oh yea !  Scribe my name to the list dude.   Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #77 - 01/04/09 at 05:29:35

Well, Lancer and I have the bottom bunk facilities of whatever sort of room we can get all locked down tight.  We are now peddling the top one (1) bunk of a normal room or possibly the top two (2) bunks of an apartment if such can be gotten for the date we pick.

We still need the exact night we are staying over though.  

One might think it would be the 27th, but one would be smarter to ask for conformation before plunking down non-refundable money.

Whattya say Toymaker?  You want a top bunk on the 27th?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #78 - 01/04/09 at 06:23:14

yep...I got a top one.  We need to make those reservations pronto

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #79 - 01/04/09 at 06:44:38

All righty, I am moving to make a reservation for June 27th trying to get an apartment by preference.

Have left a message at the hotel number to ask for a reservation and return confirmation call as per instructions left on the answering machine.  

Will follow up daily until they get back with me.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #80 - 01/04/09 at 07:31:25

So you guys need a 4th?

Pencil me in as definite maybe.

I'm 99% sure I'm gonna be there.

Top bunk is great and preferred ever since the boy scout councilling gig I did once.

WWW   IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #81 - 01/04/09 at 07:33:02

Here are my tentative plans Subject to review from the boss lady, I will ride up on the Friday the 26th camp Friday night, Ride with you guys Saturday and camp Saturday night and leave to come home Sunday morning, Since I guess you guys are coming from Granite Falls and is approx 3 hours from Robbinsville and I am approx 2.5 hours coming from the SW. If that is OK With y'all
Let me know if I have My guestamations Correct

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #82 - 01/04/09 at 09:18:05

The format we took last time was to collect on Friday the 26th at Granite Falls, ride up to the Gap on Saturday the 27th, crash gloriously w/ multiple occurrances on the way up, got totally rained out once we got patched back together into a rolling format again and then we beat back to Granite Falls just one raindrop ahead of the nastiest black thundercloud that ever pursued a group of fast riding bikers.

That's our past performance.

What is supposed to happen this time is we gather on Friday, ride sanely up on Saturday, spend Saturday night at the Gap hotel/campground complexes doing little side rides, ride sanely back to Granite Falls on Sunday and then disperse on Monday.  

Routes up and back have not yet been determined yet -- depends on who is going and how much rubber side up risk they are willing to take.  We promised Ed if he comes we will put him up front on the group ride sections for safety's sake (or somebody else, if they are obviously the most conservative rider in the group).

Since we have never ever been able to hold to an announced plan yet, we reserve all judgments on this particularly nebulous "plan" until it actually takes place.  

That way nobody can accuse us of not following the plan .....  our only plan is to group ride up and back in a fairly sane fashion.

==============

And for sweet Jesus's totally holy sake -- if you get invited to go off "fun riding" separately once we get there in a little sub-group with Lancer, Toymaker or me please think about that a little bit.  

Lancer LIKES to ride fast (he proved that last time), Toymaker LIVES up in the mountains and rides 20,000 miles a year in them thar hills.  And me, I likes to grind my foot pegs to the point Toymaker didn't even think they were stock Suzuki pegs because they were all "shaped funny" on the ends .  We did some of that nonsense on the way back with Toymaker and me sparking & dicing it hard on some of his home area roads.

We got no sense and we can kill you daid daid daid while we is jest out having us a little giggle ride.  Consider carefully going off on those little side excursion rides with the suicide crew.

All of you think you can ride with some skill.  Surprise!!  This trip can and will take you out to the very edges of what you feel comfortable doing.  And the 6" by 4" dark scar on my left leg says it can take you one step beyond that without giving you a heck of a lot of prior notice.  This is the mountains, and it is the Dragon fer goodness sakes !!

Don't make Doodle the Safety Dog have to look like this at you for going off with the suicide crew doing something stupid just because we are doing it ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #83 - 01/04/09 at 10:11:51

well its to bad im renting, im not shy about speed. was born in the Black Hills and LOVE to run um....    that puppy is the saddest puppy I have ever seen ... awwwwwww

Smiley

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #84 - 01/04/09 at 13:55:58

He's concerned about you .... he thinks he heard you saying you wanted to go play frisky with the Dragon.  He thinks that's a BAD idea from his perspective.

He felt like he had to try to lick my road rash any time I left it in his reach -- that's what dutiful doggies do when you get wounded.  

Did you know German troops were trained to let the German shepards lick their gunshot wounds?  Dog spit apparently has colagulants in it and can actually help keep a wound from getting infected.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #85 - 01/04/09 at 14:55:51

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/04/09 at 13:55:58:
Did you know German troops were trained to let the German shepards lick their gunshot wounds?  Dog spit apparently has colagulants in it and can actually help keep a wound from getting infected.

You mean anti-bacterial agents.
And of course when ever they came upon allied troops, they lick their @$$es 1st.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #86 - 01/04/09 at 15:29:46

What did you expect?  They were German shepards after all.  

We won't say out loud what the French poodles were trained to do, after all they were all lap dogs as their permanent civilian jobs.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #87 - 01/04/09 at 16:20:36

You know why the French were known as Vici?  Short for vicious.  Don't underestimate them little sweethearts, they might not tear off any flesh, but they'll leave 30,000 holes in you.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #88 - 01/05/09 at 13:11:01

OF quote "Verslagen, you are confirmed for the last top bunk bed in the apartment up at Deal's Gap Hotel.  

So now you gotta upgrade from a "maybe" to a definitely going."

Taking note of reservation, and I have parts to pick up at lancers.
Already figgured how to get the kids out of the house and will be watching for flight deals till then.  Once I got 'em it'll be a done deal.  Even work wouldn't want to pay for cancelled tickets.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #89 - 01/05/09 at 13:37:51

We got conformation w/credit card charged on one (1) apartment at the Deal's Gap Hotel.  This includes a full kitchen, two bunk beds and two futon beds they normally call "sofas" in normal people terms.

Verslagen gets dibs on the last upper bunk bed.  Or he and Toymaker can ditch them high rise beds for a futon bed (might sleep better on the real upper bunk bed, might not -- depends on the unfolded futon bed's padding and support construction).

Cost for the apartment works out like this after actually talking to the woman.  $80 for two, plus 4 extra @$10 each = $120.  Divide by 6 (if we get takers on the two futon beds) is $20 a person, or if we don't peddle the futon beds it will be $100/4 or $25 a pop.

========

Or, we can cheat some and give the 2 extra futon guys a quiet sneaky lift from the campgrounds (leave their bikes there) and only park 4 bikes in front of the apartment and be dirty rotten rowdy conniving cheapskate bikers like all the rest of the Harley guys staying there.  

You know, the kind of rowdy biker that thinks that sleeping on a cuddly warm futon inside a heated apartment (out of the 47 degree cold wet dew laden mountain night air) is an acceptable condition.  

Being all sunk down into a thick warm futon cushion is somewhat better than sleeping in a thin sleeping bag on a flat air mattress in a cold soggy tent for $13 a head, don't cha think?  

Plus the TV, fridge, stove and a hot shower in the morning?  Did I mention having lights?  And a bathroom that isn't all cold and moldy complete with a toilet seat that actually works?   With real toilet paper sitting right there beside the toilet?  

And the poker game at the kitchen table, don't forget the late night poker game ...  complete with a fridge to put your beer in.

Now you can't ever count on getting away with such evil wrongheaded Harley type shennanagins so you can't really count on $100/6 = $17 each.  But who knows, we gets kinda crazy on these mountain trips and nobody got killed last time, so ......  we might jest get away with it.

Yo Ed, we gots ya a futon to sleep on buddy.  You gonna come or not?

We is peddling two comfy warm dry futon beds .....  first come first served.

===========

Futons, got'cher extra thick warm dry futons here!

fut .. fut .. fut .. futons fer sale !!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 91
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:46:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.