Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 91
Send Topic Print
2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip (Read 17784 times)
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Re: 2009 Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #690 - 07/07/09 at 06:39:04

Quote:
I'm so jealous. You guys looked like you had so much fun. Unfortunately my budget and my wife wouldn't let me ride all the way down there. I'm just going to have to organize something for the northeast members.

I went down from N.H. and it was suprisingly affordable. I camped 2 nights in virginia but could have stayed just one night if I didn't want to ride Skyline Drive. That was $20/night. Gas for the truck was $253 and $24.22 for gas for the bike. $24 for lodging at Deals Gap. Food and other stuff was prolly about $100-$150. About $500 total. That might help you with the budget issue but I can't help you with the wife.
I'm Planning on doing it again next year.
 I'd be willing to get together with a northeast group for a ride and get together.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #691 - 07/07/09 at 07:48:45

NEXT YEAR"S PLAN

We kicked the ideas for the next big trip around some while soaking in the pool Sunday afternoon.   What Al did from New Hampshire was perfectly doable, and could be done from several different directions.  What Lancer and Verslagen did from the SC direction was perfectly doable too.  The only change we would suggest would be that if there was someone else on your travel path that wanted to go the travel group could have met up with them on the way and they could have come in together for safety/coverage reasons.

So, everyone who is coming from afar constitutes a "region group" that should try to accumulate co-riders along their travel path.  They would publish their route and actively seek folks would tie into that route so as to have co-rider safety coverage while traveling.

We would all meet up at the Gap Hotel on a slightly longer, more general arrival time span.  This past time we had people showing up between Weds-Sunday time span, literally the entire time we had arrivals and departures going on.  It worked out great.

Al or somebody will likely have a truck up at the Gap that could be used to haul off an injured rider, but other than that we really don't see needing a dedicated follow truck.  The follow truck idea is fairly unworkable anyway as a truck simply cannot keep up with bike riders (unless maybe they are a bunch of slow sedate Harley cruiser types which we definitely are not).

The general time span we used this last time of the weekend at the start of the 4th of July week worked really well as believe it or not there were NOT that many people up at the gap that weekend.  Since it wasn't super crowded the cops weren't all that restrictive and we got in some very good rides.

Next year the planning dates would run around Thursday June 24th through Sunday June the 27th as arrival span times.  Departure would take place as you needed to leave, some of us stayed for a half a week and some only stayed for 5-6 hours.

The group cookout date is the only real stake in the sand this plan requires, and that could fall on June 26th if we still wanted to do it on the central Saturday evening as we did this past time.

=============

Why this system would work better -- a regional sub group of 3-4 can plan something that fits them better as far as getting here goes.  A group of 3-4 can have more flexibility and create more fun while traveling than bigger groups can do.  Larger groups get difficult to plan for and tend to get a bit inflexible as they deal with more and more circumstances.

This way your travel plans stay small and aimed at your own group's needs, where you stop and what you sideline to go go see along the way should be thought out as we found that the side stuff offers almost as much "fun potential" as the main get together.

What's that old hack saying -- "getting there is half the fun"

This works out better with the "regional group" system.

« Last Edit: 07/07/09 at 11:00:07 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #692 - 07/07/09 at 09:32:40

You'd have to count me out 4th of July weekend. Back it up a week (6/25-27) and I'll be there.

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #693 - 07/07/09 at 10:10:57

savagedml wrote on 07/07/09 at 09:32:40:
You'd have to count me out 4th of July weekend. Back it up a week (6/25-27) and I'll be there.

Same here......... Thats when we are working. plant is shut down and we can get all of our Yearly PM completed on air compressors, back flow preventers and all 5 boilers.

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #694 - 07/07/09 at 10:53:01

We have three votes for the weekend of Friday June 25th, 26th, Sunday the 27th, as manufacturing sites are taking the week BEFORE July 4th off as their shutdown week.

Suites me, as this is the same pattern that worked so well this time, go in on the weekend leading into the holiday week.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #695 - 07/07/09 at 11:12:06

me too.  I'm a go for the weekend before the WEEKEND OF THE 4TH Smiley

Because I can!
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #696 - 07/07/09 at 11:40:12

as far as cost go.

Figure I rode around 800 miles round trip. @  hi avg 50 mpg @ avg $2.50 gal High estimate.... around $40  to $50gas

Camping was $13 per night MMranch Payed one night I got the other.
Figure 5- 10 per meal if we ate out
Lunch and Supper Friday
Bfast and lunch Saturday.... cooked with the gang for supper
Had Gang Bfast Sunday and bought lunch on the way home

then there was the beer........... figure a $25 for beer Roll Eyes

plus I had tire trouble on the way up there that put me back $100 Angry

All said and done it was a pretty cheep weekend.

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #697 - 07/07/09 at 11:52:55

I'll have to do some figuring because I really would love to make it next year. So I will have to save up the money.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #698 - 07/07/09 at 13:03:47

We'd love to have you...plus your shirt is on the way. Smiley Smiley

Because I can!
  IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #699 - 07/07/09 at 13:28:21

I've been slowly identifying the turns etc., and started it with one song, but if ya'll would like, I can just publish the movie "as is" and hopefully have it up before the night's out. Or would you guys rather wait till I have completely finished the video?

"Let's roll!"
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #700 - 07/07/09 at 14:27:25

savagedml wrote on 07/07/09 at 13:28:21:
I've been slowly identifying the turns etc., and started it with one song, but if ya'll would like, I can just publish the movie "as is" and hopefully have it up before the night's out. Or would you guys rather wait till I have completely finished the video?

I'ld rather see finished project myself.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #701 - 07/07/09 at 14:27:59

Toymaker wrote on 07/07/09 at 13:03:47:
We'd love to have you...plus your shirt is on the way. Smiley Smiley

Thanks Toymaker, look forward to receiving it.

IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #702 - 07/07/09 at 14:29:24

Unless something very big and or bad happens I will be there for the weekend before the 4th.
It's hard to imagine anything worse than a year of cancer, radiation, chemo, surgery, physical therapy, and disability.
None of that kept me away from this years ride. Wink then again, I guess it's just a matter of setting a goal and working out how to make it happen Grin

savagedml, as for the movie, I'd like to see it ASAP Cool

Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #703 - 07/07/09 at 17:16:47

Guys, it should be finished uploading in about 45 minutes. I had to buy the $60 VIMEO Plus version because the video is bigger than the Free version allows. It's about 27 minutes in length. I'll post it when it's done.

"Let's roll!"
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #704 - 07/07/09 at 17:27:04

kel30734 wrote on 07/07/09 at 11:40:12:
as far as cost go.

Figure I rode around 800 miles round trip. @  hi avg 50 mpg @ avg $2.50 gal High estimate.... around $40  to $50gas

Camping was $13 per night MMranch Payed one night I got the other.
Figure 5- 10 per meal if we ate out
Lunch and Supper Friday
Bfast and lunch Saturday.... cooked with the gang for supper
Had Gang Bfast Sunday and bought lunch on the way home

then there was the beer........... figure a $25 for beer Roll Eyes

plus I had tire trouble on the way up there that put me back $100 Angry

All said and done it was a pretty cheep weekend.

Speaking of tires and potential tire trouble.  I would suggest that when heading out for an extended ride like this that you plan ahead to have new or nearly new tires on your bikes for the trip.  This is no time to be loosing air rapidly from a tire when rounding a sharp corner with a 1000' drop just 10' from the pavement.
Also, consider carefully your riding experience and skills before dashing off for this type of ride.  As previously posted, a Harley rider went to meet his maker that weekend with nary a sign on the road where he flew off into NEVER NEVER LAND.  They surched for hours justo to find him and then more to get his body out.  This is a very fun ride but it is a dangerous one, not one for the inexperienced.  If you are new to riding or are really rusty on your mountain road skills, either don't go on this particular ride or get after it this year and do some really serious training.  We don't need one of our own being airlifted to the local morgue.
Think about it.   Wink

OK, enough for the Safety Seminar for this month; now let's get back to the fun stuff !   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 91
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:34:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.