Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 91
Send Topic Print
2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip (Read 17784 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2009 Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #465 - 06/11/09 at 19:42:02

And you do realize that big roll of ace bandage is almost as wide as the flashlight is tall, don't you?

What do you suppose Mary Poppins would do to you with a huge 6" wide 30 foot long ace bandage like that?

Hint: pick up two sticks from the woods, place them along side your common sense and wrap the ace bandage around the sticks tightly to keep your sanity fixed and stable until we can get you to the nearest emergency room (which is only an hour or so away, so here -- have an aspirin to dull the pain a bit while you bounce around in the bed of the truck).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #466 - 06/11/09 at 20:10:38

Oldfeller said:
Add Bigzuk to the tally sheet as being "up there" -- we got us an extra hotel room "maybe" available and we got us a mixed bag of folks some showing up at the Gap and some at Toymakers, some camping, some not.  And everything is rapidly changing as the GO date Friday 6/26 approaches -- 14 days left to go.

Sounds all confusing to me -- but I'm easily confused anyway  (hee hee)

You guys that are coming in late to the program you need to get up with Toymaker about your souvenir shirt should you want one.   You need to make some arrangements with Toymaker, you do or you will be shirtless and unfed if you don't get up with the man what's in charge (Toymaker).   PM him.  Get a response from him.  Watch this thread and post occasionally so folks will think you are still coming.

You also need to ring in with Toymaker if you want to be eating with the group at the Gap Hotel as we will be buying groceries at Granite Falls and bringing them up with us -- obviously we need us an accurate mouth count to be buying them groceries for or mistakes will be made (gasp).  

I've PM'ed Toymaker about a t-shirt and to let him know I'll be camping so I'm OK with my own bed and meals.

Thanks,
Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #467 - 06/11/09 at 22:39:41

Those of us attending the Feed at Toymaker's house and Resort need to pm me.  If I don't hear from you, I will consider you NOT coming and wil give your sleeping accomodations to someone else. (even if you are going to camp outside near the pool)

T Cheesy

Because I can!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #468 - 06/11/09 at 22:57:19

Please reserve for me one of your finer slumber vestibules and a clean plate.  My native guide will also need a place to flop and a crust of bread.  or vice versa.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #469 - 06/12/09 at 05:27:46

Yep, I'm coming -- I realize the bed count has changed since original dibs were laid down and I can do a couch or the floor if need be.  Roll with them punches, flex with them situations -- that's me!

Verslagen, your native guide would be Sir Lancerlot chaser of the fair haired damsels, would it not?   He who tilts at Dragons with extra spark plugs?

Speaking of guides and bikes -- do we have enough bikes for the folks who are coming?   I still have another bike in Fayetteville if anyone needed it enough to come here to ride it up to Granite Falls.

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #470 - 06/12/09 at 07:07:42

Pre-trip maintenance item (recommended that you do it now at home)

Your foot peg threaded pins live under a chromed plastic glory cap that faces to the front.  You will get the glory caps off with a knife (and likely tear them up doing so but you are going to trash them anyway so don't sweat it)

Your footpeg pins are likely corroded in place.  Sorry, but there was no grease put into the joint by the factory and that glory cap isn't water proof -- so you have XX years of corrosion living in that joint plus the fretting from the pegs rotating on the pin making little raised corrosion lumps that tells the pin it ain't coming out of that hole.

Spray it with good WD-40 or Kroil and let it sit overnight.  Break it free with the allen wrench and exercise it back & forth some without unthreading it and spray it again with WD-40 and let it soak again to soften up the hard lumps before trying to remove the pins.  Exercise it as you untread it attempting to break up the corrosion lumps as much as you can.   Push down on the footpeg to increase the lump scraping power of the joint itself as you exercise and remove the threaded pin.

The right side is easy, you can get to the back side of the threaded part of the fastener and push it out with a punch once it runs out of threads.   Be careful not to lose the funny little adapter thingie that lives on the right side -- it is held in place by the pin and falls off in the grass when your back is turned.  YOU NEED IT so remove it carefully noting the orientation of the little adapter part.

Getting the left side out is a lot more fun as the threaded faster is enclosed with solid cast steel and the threads run out before you can grab on to the fastener.   There is no way to access the back side of the threaded pin with a punch.  Tease it out using the square short end of your allen wrench putting it into a hex bind by levering at it.  Rotate while levering the allen wrench and pulling up/out on the wrench at the same time.   Now you see why I said soak it twice to soften up the corrosion lumps ....  (BTW there is no adapter thingie on the left side, the steel casting itself does the same job)

Clean the rust and crap off your parts.  Clean the gross rust off your pin but don't sand it excessively as it is plated to hold corrosion down.

Put your stuff back together using lots of Never-Seize or lots of heavy grease if you don't have Never-Seize at hand.

Why are you doing this now?   Imagine fiddling with those stubborn rusted connections lying on your side in the wet grass up on the Blue Ridge Parkway with no WD-40 and no time to let it soak thru the nasty mess.   (voice of experience speaking -- we did it last time)

I filled my allen head joint area plumb up with Never-Seize to make sure that no water makes it past the head of the pin and gets into the joint again.  Yeah, I know water can spray into the joint 3 different ways from the bottom, etc but that is why you were generous gooping in the Never-Seize (or heavy grease as the case may be)

When I go horizontal and bust my pegs off it will be an easy quick job to get my pins out and my new pegs replaced instead of being a royal pain in the ass.

<grin>

How about you and your pins?   How badly corroded were yours?

« Last Edit: 06/13/09 at 14:06:15 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #471 - 06/12/09 at 07:29:02

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/12/09 at 05:27:46:
Verslagen, your native guide would be Sir Lancerlot chaser of the fair haired damsels, would it not?   He who tilts at Dragons with extra spark plugs?

Yes, ol' "I love the smell of naptha in the morning" himself has promised to tilt a dragon with me.  This year, I will be riding the extra plug.

WWW   IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #472 - 06/12/09 at 09:03:35

me  too.extra plug modded bike that is.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #473 - 06/12/09 at 20:09:45

verslagen1 wrote on 06/12/09 at 07:29:02:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/12/09 at 05:27:46:

Yes, ol' "I love the smell of naptha in the morning" himself has promised to tilt a dragon with me.  This year, I will be riding the extra plug.

Alas,  the EXTRA PLUG is no more; those duties have fallen to  Red SRX that now occupies that stable stall.   It is now brother to REX which is undergoing final assembly as we speak.   Cool

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #474 - 06/12/09 at 21:40:58

meant to say the extra plug has it's own pair of wheels now.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #475 - 06/13/09 at 04:39:49

verslagen1 wrote on 06/12/09 at 21:40:58:
meant to say the extra plug has it's own pair of wheels now.

Ahhhhhhhhh   Cool

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #476 - 06/15/09 at 07:34:57

Houston, we have a go to commence final count-down.

Start final count down  .... now!

10 ....

« Last Edit: 06/18/09 at 08:35:07 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #477 - 06/15/09 at 14:08:05

Houston, we copy that. Smiley