Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 91
Send Topic Print
2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip (Read 17784 times)
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Re: 2009 Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #450 - 06/11/09 at 08:06:33

There are several great rides in the area besides the Dragon (129). Rt 28 by Fontana Dam, the Cherohala Skyway is a fun ride, and of course my goal this time is to do the Dragon completely at night (at least once -it got dark on me last time before I got in one day, but that doesn't count). Just as an aside, yes there are local LEO's and the THP up there again this year, but they have been much friendlier and respectful than in years past. Be sure to have your mc license, registration, proof of insurance, and a smiling face if you get stopped. Also the pulloffs are now paved, or will be paved, and when I was there in April, there already were several berms installed at various spots along the ride to help keep riders on the road (and not off the mountain). Hard to believe it's almost here!

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #451 - 06/11/09 at 14:23:05

Add Bigzuk to the tally sheet as being "up there" -- we got us an extra hotel room "maybe" available and we got us a mixed bag of folks some showing up at the Gap and some at Toymakers, some camping, some not.  And everything is rapidly changing as the GO date Friday 6/26 approaches -- 14 days left to go.

Sounds all confusing to me -- but I'm easily confused anyway  (hee hee)

You guys that are coming in late to the program you need to get up with Toymaker about your souvenir shirt should you want one.   You need to make some arrangements with Toymaker, you do or you will be shirtless and unfed if you don't get up with the man what's in charge (Toymaker).   PM him.  Get a response from him.  Watch this thread and post occasionally so folks will think you are still coming.

You also need to ring in with Toymaker if you want to be eating with the group at the Gap Hotel as we will be buying groceries at Granite Falls and bringing them up with us -- obviously we need us an accurate mouth count to be buying them groceries for or mistakes will be made (gasp).  

I will the one happily be making the mistakes, Toymaker tends to get it right so be sure to talk to him (not me).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #452 - 06/11/09 at 14:27:12

Now you are going to make me have to pack a flashlight, you rascal you.   How else am I going to find your mangled body and mashed up bike off down in the woods after it gets all dark and nasty foggy?

Mary Poppins never had to deal with no after dark actions, never ever.  Just a little soot from them chim-chimmney chim chim cherooos.

Sneaking off and getting yerself mangled at night, who'da thunk it?   We is gonna have to do us a bed check and count noses.

Do them Saint Bernards still work if it isn't snowing?   They carry a little keg of snapps in case of frostbite in the winter -- maybe they carry a little can of OFF in the summer time?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #453 - 06/11/09 at 14:41:05

Fontana dam is a must see -- likely worth the effort to go down to the bottom and get a look see at the generation facility if we have the time.

Hwy 28 has an interesting looking pump up hill vertical pipe installation site I remember seeing -- get extra power in the dry season by pumping water way way way uphill (peak of a durn sharp mountain peak) during the night time when power utilization is low then letting it flow back down through the vertical pipes to the generators during peak load times to generate some extra juice.

Here's my question -- US military paid for all that there generation facilities with top secret gov funds associated with the a-bomb Manhattan project.   Stuff has done been ALL paid for 100% for decades now.  

Do the mountain folks get a  break on their power rates accordingly??

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #454 - 06/11/09 at 15:37:40

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/11/09 at 14:41:05:
Fontana dam is a must see -- likely worth the effort to go down to the bottom and get a look see at the generation facility if we have the time.

Hwy 28 has an interesting looking pump up hill vertical pipe installation site I remember seeing -- get extra power in the dry season by pumping water way way way uphill (peak of a durn sharp mountain peak) during the night time when power utilization is low then letting it flow back down through the vertical pipes to the generators during peak load times to generate some extra juice.

Here's my question -- US military paid for all that there generation facilities with top secret gov funds associated with the a-bomb Manhattan project.   Stuff has done been ALL paid for 100% for decades now.  

Do the mountain folks get a  break on their power rates accordingly?
?

We've got 3 or 4 hydroelectric dams upriver from here that have been there for a long time.  Do you think we get breaks on power?
Grin
No, we send it all to California.  That is by NO means a knock on you Cali folks, just sayin' there's a heckuva lot of you down there using power! Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #455 - 06/11/09 at 16:02:24

Ok, riddle time again.

Mary Poppins is working hard on some special prizes to give out for certain select winners of special contests to take place at the Dragon Run.

Riddle me this -- what is the contest and what is first prize?

First clue follows .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #456 - 06/11/09 at 16:11:45

Second clue .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #457 - 06/11/09 at 16:12:53

Third clue .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #458 - 06/11/09 at 16:14:37

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/11/09 at 16:02:24:
Ok, riddle time again.

Mary Poppins is working hard on some special prizes to give out for certain select winners of special contests to take place at the Dragon Run.

Riddle me this -- what is the contest and what is first prize?

First clue follows .....

An American Turnmaster AT-1340G 13" Swing High Precision Lathe?  Cool!  I'm gonna win it!!!

IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #459 - 06/11/09 at 16:18:40

Answer in form of a question.......What is....."Who is the king of footpeg scrapes?"

By the way OF, I was hoping to have some company on the night run...

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #460 - 06/11/09 at 16:25:07

Last and final clues .....

Still ain't got it yet?

Need a hint?

final hint ...  (in French of course, can't make it too easy)

Aprez vous "roulez de Darwinian" en la montagne a nuit, certainement vous cherchez le Service d'Aide Médicale Urgente avec Mary Poppins q'elle vite!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #461 - 06/11/09 at 16:43:36

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/11/09 at 16:25:07:
Aprez vous "roulez de Darwinian" en la montagne a nuit, certainement vous cherchez le Service d'Aide Médicale Urgente avec Mary Poppins q'elle vite!!

You a cussin' boy?  You in a heep o'trouble if you is.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #462 - 06/11/09 at 17:11:06

I'sa grindn', drillin' tweekn' & a fit'n, boss -- I ain't a cuss'n much.  

Boss, they's always a wee little bit of cussn' and bleedn' what goes wid suchlike grind'n & drill'n and wrench'n sorta stuff -- ya gotta expect a wee little bit -- s'allowed by the guy rulebook as it's required for ya to bark at least one knuckle bone everytime once you takes an allen wrench out of the holder block.

Weeee dog !!    Yowser !!   Bowser!!

I gots me 4, count'um 4, uniquely made extra durable solid hardened steel core tough rubber molded on the outside ex-Harley footie pegs what will now fit on either side of a stock Savage front peg mounting block.  
Rightie, Leftie -- it makes no nevermind.

That is exactly the total footie peg body count we rang up last time ....

While Mary Poppins binds up your ouchies all quicklike 'ol Verslaggie and Lancer will reshod your iron pony.

============

That there is your boobie prize for going horizontal on us -- some special mountain hand-crafted footie pegs to remember the occasion by.   Better 'n the wood ones we almost got forced into using ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #463 - 06/11/09 at 18:27:35

I have one left from a set, probably get another set I tend to eat the rt side up pretty regular

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #464 - 06/11/09 at 19:12:07

And people wonder why our little mountain outings require both a Mary Poppins AND a follow tuck to haul the bodies away ....

<grin>

And exactly WHO were you thinking was gonna be a volunteering to go find the Grinch with you after dark (after the evening slicky dew falls) goin' a rippin' and a roaring & a chasing up and down them big assed nasty scales on the Tail of that there nasty upwards tilting pointy nipped Dragon Lady?

===========

Hark!  Was that a bobcat screeching?   Lookie there, a firefly falling off the side of the mountain .... no, it crunches and bangs like something made of metal -- wonder what it was?

For those who would go out after the evening dew has slicked up the mountain roads at night raising cain and taking large lean angles, I give to you the backside of the Medi-Pack.  

Mary Poppins says take an equal dosage from each tube, mix freely and quickly apply to seal up whatever skull cracks and skin breaches are causing you to lose them vital fluids ....  

Fix what ails you inside of six minutes, guaranteed.

(signed)  

Mary Poppins

« Last Edit: 06/12/09 at 14:30:27 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 91
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:48:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip