Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 91
Send Topic Print
2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip (Read 17784 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: 2009 Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #360 - 05/14/09 at 14:00:22

People in the cage were jerks. If the rider needed a hospital, they were the best bet because they could have driven him there.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #361 - 05/15/09 at 02:33:40

Came across that video elsewhere also, and made me think of you folks.  Looks like a fun ride, but for cripes sake, RIDE SAFE!  Us newbies need someone to tell us the right way to do stuff, and help us laugh at our wrong ways!

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #362 - 05/15/09 at 04:34:00

Unfortunately, it has not been our experience that safe riding type habits prevail for very long on these little group outings.

If you could see us together as a group, you would understand better.

What really happens is that a group with varying mountain riding skills shows up at Toymaker's house, has a fun time the night before then gets on the scoots and start out riding reasonably in straight lines on the interstate for an hour or so.

We hit the skyway and begin to eat curves and the group confidence level rises and so does the speed.  Then a distraction presents itself (girl with long flowing blond hair going a little bit faster than the group speed) and we start chasing her ....  

The speed goes up just a little bit beyond the skill level of the least curve familiar person in the group and that person goes down on a turn.

Same story as the guy in the video -- a mistake is made.  More folks in a group, more difference in riding types and styles and the greater the likelyhood that a "go down" mistake will be made.   The mountain roads are NOT FORGIVING and you are faced with "go down" line choices and braking choices on average of once every 20 seconds or so once you are up in the curves.

The most insidious of these scenarios is to be riding in a line of riders with the front rider going at to him is a safe and sedate pace, the line of riders engine braking and leaning into a curve that suddenly gets a little tighter about half way through the turn and rider #4 in the line lacks the skill to increase his lean angle without panic setting in.

Hitting your rear brake in a lean turn straightens you up, and you go straight.   Bad thing to happen in a lean turn.   NEVER HIT YOUR REAR BRAKE IN A LEAN OVER TURN.

What you should be doing is running enough revs to use engine braking (roll off the throttle) and simply concentrate on leaning on through the turn.  This is a skill that requires practice .....

This is why the larger Harley groups have a chase vehicle running along behind them on mountain trips -- they know they are going to lose a rider.   They plan for it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #363 - 05/15/09 at 04:43:56

AMENNNN!!!!!!!

I Agree Oldfeller:

Mountain Riding is not like regular street riding.

I have been doing Fort Mountain to hone my skills after a winter of sedate back and forth to work riding.
make sure you got good rubber and bike is mechanically sound, with good break shoes and pads just in case you need them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Mountain_(Murray_County,_Georgia)

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #364 - 05/15/09 at 05:42:55

Also, the further back you are in the pack the more experience you need to have IMO.  The accordion effect is an amazing phenomena.  When you get a group of bikers riding together, the lead rider will swear he never went over 60mph while the last guy will swear he never went slower than 80mph.  Throw in mountain curves and the level of difficulty progressively increases with the next rider in the pack.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #365 - 05/15/09 at 06:22:10

Some of the places we are going have curves that cannot be taken over 35 mph (no matter how good you are or what you are riding).

For some folks in the line up that is a 20 mph curve.  

The leader takes it at a sedate 22 mph (well within his comfort zone) and loses rider #4 anyway.

There is no fault -- it simply is what it is.

Now, if Ed really just wanted to come, he could drive his SUV and pull his trailer to be the follower guy.   Then he could clean up whichever one of us has the least riding skills that day.   I'd be in the pack then, so it could durn well be me.

(or not because I am practicing daily right now and have pavement scrub marks on the bottom right of my exhaust pipe now to prove that I am getting better and better at that hard turning thingie do)

How fast do you have to be able to run to escape from the bear which is chasing the group through the woods?

Answer -- just a little bit faster than the slowest runner in the group.

Which one are you going to be?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #366 - 05/15/09 at 08:29:57

Everyone must be given the opportunity to rise to their level of incompetancy, whether it be renchin, ridin or ryetin.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #367 - 05/15/09 at 16:03:03

Yep, I can copy to rising to my own level of incompentency, done that several times in the recent past as a matter of fact.

I was washing the bike today and noticed my muffler was moving some as I polished on it.  I checked the motion out and found I had been grinding my main motor mount acorn nut (holds the horizontal heat shield) as well as the clamp mount flange and  bolt for the vertical heat shied.   All the rubber mounting bushings were shot and both of the 10mm bolts on the vertical heat shield had vibrated free (completely gone) and I had broken a weld on the main muffler mounting plate.

So much for the enthusiastic cornering -- do it enough and you can abrade and bust some stuff.

The stock muffler is quiet, but it weighs like a ton and REQUIRES a bunch of complex mounting hardware to hold it in place.  While it is off I think I am going to go ahead and check my cam chain tensioner (nearly 13,000 miles now) and go ahead and do my leaking oil plug in the head, replace the standard petcock with the Raptor and do a valve adjustment.

I am looking hard at that Harley Dyna muffler over in the corner ....  it would be so much simpler to put back on and it wouldn't drag near as much on the hard cornering as it is simply that much smaller and higher mounting.   My stock muffler is getting all old and ugly too -- all gold and blue in spots (and rusty on the bottom).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #368 - 05/15/09 at 16:12:08

Well i'm not going to be there, I have the time but not the cash for a 6 day or better road trip. My only mistake was not riding the curves like I ment it. Instead I got into a higher gear and was just farting along instead of running the engine up in RPMs which is the way I learned to ride the curves. So much for taking it easy on the curves, beside a couple bruises and a little damage to the bike I got off easy.  Wink Take pictures, enjoy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #369 - 05/16/09 at 23:36:11

Yea Kel
I've had lots of bikes but I keep comming back to the 350 lb. class machines.  "A BIKE" not a small two wheeled car !!

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #370 - 05/17/09 at 03:58:56

MMRanch wrote on 05/16/09 at 23:36:11:
Yea Kel
I've had lots of bikes but I keep comming back to the 350 lb. class machines.  "A BIKE" not a small two wheeled car !!

Yep, I agree totally on that one.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #371 - 05/19/09 at 17:26:04

Well, I got the Dyna muffler put on my bike so I am still Savage-able and am all properly equipped for the run the end of next month.   Got a wee bit more right hand lean before dragging muff as Dyna is smaller than the stock Suzuki muffler was.

Still hitting on those frame acorn nuts though ....  I don't think I can fix that situation.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #372 - 05/20/09 at 02:10:29

I got a few that have seen a little "lean" as well.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #373 - 05/20/09 at 05:07:43

Toymaker wrote on 05/20/09 at 02:10:29:
I got a few that have seen a little "lean" as well.

"DITTO"

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #374 - 05/20/09 at 08:30:31

http://www.dealsgap.com/

Here's the "Motorcycle Resort's" web site link in case you would like to keep up with what is going on at Deals Gap/ Tail of the Dragon. Posting is usually done Th-Mon. You can also sign up to have free access to their daily forum board.

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 91
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:23:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.