Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 91
Send Topic Print
2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip (Read 17784 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: 2009 Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #180 - 02/13/09 at 08:14:11

Hello Toymaker and Greeting to Mrs.Toymaker

Please pardon the delay,  Computer problems , had to clear all cookies and such to make the computer function again and had  a heck of a time getting loged on again to our site here.

Yes, a hundred times "yes" , I would be honored for the loan of a futon for friday night the 26th of June, and partake in a nice PUT-PUT ride for Saturday.  I've been getting rummors of a pool party and such too.  I hope to meet Kel30734 in north Ga. friday morning and get to your house late afternoon.

One thing I have been pondering is the ride across NC. to your house from the north GA area.  If its not out of the way to much, we (Kel and I) could go east on a different trail on Friday than we all take west on Saturday.  So the Question is ???? ?   Our path on Saturday  is there a  triditional route.

Looking forward to it.

M&M

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #181 - 02/13/09 at 14:15:28

I don't know about youse guys, but I'd like to avoid the traditional route.  You know the one with the X's in it from the splat's, getting run over by one's own bike, etc. etc. etc.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #182 - 02/13/09 at 18:39:10

Let's stay off of I40 and the other 6 lane roads more than we did last time.   We do enough of that on the way up to the mountains.    On the way back we took some mountain road shortcuts that Toymaker knew about, the trip back seemed quicker and was much more interesting.

(hee hee  ....   maybe we should vote on it?   No overheated engines, no splats, better scenery?)

======================

Kel30734 just told me something interesting anyway -- the Irish are coming and I surely have you outnumbered.  

I will likely confuse you sometimes but I am everywhere -- on this trip anyway.  I may be riding in back of you and riding in front of you and actually sit on both sides of you at lunch.  When you go splat I can bind your wounds and fix up your bike all at the same time.

===================
===================

Let's go here !!!    Bestest piece of curvy off-camber roller coaster on the planet that I have ever found.   I  vouch for it personally!!   It has my 4x6" personal seal of approval on it (although it has likely dried up by now).  

Instructions:  Zoom out some until you can see the Parkway, click your mouse on the intersection of US276 and the Blue Ridge Parkway and then zoom back in with the slider so you can see the torturous curves clearly.  

Best road in the world is the 2-3 miles on US 276 going up to and down from the Parkway crest.  Vertical viewing doesn't give the road picture of the road falling off on you as you go around the curves though.   You are leaned over to the max going around a turn and the road just rolls over to the outside and freaking  *** disappears ***  half way through the turn !!!   Auuugh !!   (ass puckering scary on a bike -- truly)

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Cruso&state=NC#a/maps/l:::Cruso:NC::US:35.4...

« Last Edit: 02/13/09 at 19:48:11 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #183 - 02/13/09 at 19:40:44

***away at Navy Bootcamp Graduation ***

Hi folks.  I am all for staying off the superslab if at all possible...but I am not sure how to get up to Deal's Gap without getting on I40.

but we stll have lotsa time
T Smiley

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #184 - 02/13/09 at 20:02:06

Ditch off on the Parkway IN FRONT of Ashville, follow it around south of Ashville and we can go by and visit my little patch of skin on US 276 ....

Yes, it is around thy elbow to get to thy arse, but a VERY interesting ride on an original off-camber roller coaster is gained by taking the detour.  Not many places where you can find hair pin turns with big arsed dips in the road all combined with road crest contour changes all at the same time.

You have your line picked, you are committed to the turn and the camber of the road tilts suddenly off to the outside of the turn and it DIPS on you in the middle of the blind turn, just plain pitching you right off the side of the mountain.....   there suddenly ain't no road in front of you any more ....

Don't hit your brakes boys or you too will make a "square inch" based donation.   Be going slow with your revs up to be able to survive this one by rolling off the throttle and trusting gravity to keep you touching pavement through the rest of the turn.

« Last Edit: 02/14/09 at 09:00:18 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #185 - 02/15/09 at 19:03:09

Google Earth 5.0 is an amazing tool.   You can find anything on the face of the earth, named or unnamed.   Our de-classified satellite information is simply amazing to use.   Here is the skin donation road section shown from that side of the mountain, with a side view no less.  

Now you get a flavor of the outside down sloping turns ....

Compared to this section of this unimproved 1950's dynamite cut rural road, the Dragon at Deal's Gap is sanitized mild stuff.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #186 - 02/15/09 at 21:27:12

What's that road called "change o'pant needed"?

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #187 - 02/16/09 at 03:24:45

Pucker road is the intersection of US-276 and Blue Ridge Parkway (Kentucky side of the mountain).

US-276 is a fun road, it runs through Pisgah National Forest and winds up in Cherokee (the indian reservation gambling mall).  

Get your tank filled up before you get on it though -- I had to ride miles and miles with blood running down my leg & filling up my left shoe before getting to a country store to do some first aid.   Cruso was the name of the little country store, or the town, or maybe both ??

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #188 - 02/16/09 at 03:38:15

It occurs to me that we have ALL DAY to screw around getting up to the Gap.   Once at the Gap, there is nothing to do except ride the gap and talk to bikers.

We may want to drag out the trip up with a lot of nonsense stuff and side trips .....  Turn a 4 hour trip into 5 or six hours or more with lots of stops.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #189 - 02/16/09 at 04:25:50

Just a suggestion...... what about messing around all day getting to the Tennessee side of 129 going through the gap and when we get to the other side we will be at the resort...... Ill bring along a gas can  Smiley

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #190 - 02/16/09 at 13:17:50

What's on the Tennessee side?   I admit ignorance since Dollywood is as far as I ever got into Tennessee on purpose.   It would be new territory anyway.

Propose something interesting.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #191 - 02/16/09 at 15:44:39

I was wondering, since I'm driving down in a truck with the bike in the back, would it be a waste of time to bring along my golf clubs? If I get into granite falls early enough, a round of golf would be good. Anyone else? I realize that most of you are riding bikes there. Just a thought.
   And I'm up for anything on the way to the gap. I'd like to check out Fontana Dam. That should be a great photo op.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #192 - 02/17/09 at 02:12:16

Al, there is a golf course 2 miles from me house...and I play too!!!  However, if last year is any indication, we'll be busy busy busy talking "Savages" Wink

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #193 - 02/17/09 at 03:35:07

Or doing last minute fix it work  ...

Golf depends on when you plan to show up I guess.   You got all day Friday before the troops show up in the afternoon.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #194 - 02/17/09 at 04:05:36

Yeah, I'll probably leave the clubs at home. It was just a crazy thought. I suck at golf but for some reason I like playing anyway.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 91
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 21:35:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip